SiouxSports.com Forum

Music at the Ralph during Hockey

Heff

Do the people in charge of the music at the Ralph know that there was actually music made after 1990. I am so sick of Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, and any of the other old music. Please listen to some new stuff, visit some more Pro arenas, and start changing things up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the people in charge of the music at the Ralph know that there was actually music made after 1990. I am so sick of Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, and any of the other old music. Please listen to some new stuff, visit some more Pro arenas, and start changing things up.

funny topic, i was saying this last night at the coyotes game because its mostly older music and very few new songs. usually the same stuff so glendale arena is not a good place to hear new music, its cool to use some but mix it up and relate to all fans...

many times at the ralph though i have heard a good mix between face offs and so forth, i did not think it was tht bad. a little guns and roses mixed with a little eminem mixed with a litlle white stripes works for me...

Today's music sucks. Way cooler to play corny 80's music that is so bad it's funny then to play the crap nowadays that is supposedly good. Damn kids nowadays with their bebop music!

I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me

Oh please!

You don't know what it is like to hear music that is wholly inappropriate for a sports venue.

Let's try what... 2 years ago? UND Football at the Alerus? Pride of the North Band belting out a stirring rendition of Cheryl Crow's "Soak in the Sun." And yes, it did even appear at the hockey game once.

Want more? At the Ralph before warm ups, I've heard several country songs like "Darlene" by Dolly Parton and all.

How about Hootie and the Blowfish? REM? Counting Crows?

PLEASE! "Welcome to the Jungle" is a classic for sports. I don't like GNR but I will acknowledge its rightful place at the hockey arena.

This is one topic that will be difficult to get everyone to agree on. Music is so subjective, even people that like the same type of music can disagree on individual songs. I like some of the music they play and other times I look at the people around me and ask "why are they playing that".

This is one topic that will be difficult to get everyone to agree on. Music is so subjective, even people that like the same type of music can disagree on individual songs. I like some of the music they play and other times I look at the people around me and ask "why are they playing that".

True.

But that doesn't mean you go sissy. It needs to be upbeat, somewhat edgy, but clean. Van Halen was a good example with Right Here Right now. Yeah, it's overplayed. Yeah, the song kinda stinks, but it fits the bill and I accept that.

Let's face it, hair bands really do fit the bill nicely.

I went to a DIII college hockey game one time, and during a small fight (like the one against Mankato) they began to play Barneys "I love you, you love me" etc, I thought it was very entertaining. After the fight while the refs were trying to figure out what was what, they played the final Jeopardy song, good stuff.

That Elephant skit they showed prior to the overtime, I hope I never see that again.

In the old building the pep band was 85% of the music between action, right? I remember during crucial times when the Sioux needed something to happen, the band would crank up "march on Sioux" and it got everyone pumped up. Now you need the scoreboard to tell the crowd to make noise accompanied by Tears for Fears - "shout" or "stand up and shout" - lame move- "Rock Star." Also, the video intro has been weak since the first one - "new ice, same tradition." I'd say bring that back. i'm gonna apply for the entertainment director position next year. :p

PLEASE! "Welcome to the Jungle" is a classic for sports. I don't like GNR but I will acknowledge its rightful place at the hockey arena.

Definitely! Welcome to the Jungle is the one song that gets everyone off their feet - without putting commands on the scoreboard. Unfortunately their timig is poor at the Ralph. Usually I hear it when we're down a goal and have a faceoff in our D-zone. In my opinion it would be better served coming out of a TV timeout with an offensive zone faceoff. The person at the Ralph running the sound probably never thinks of that...

Try sitting through a game at the Nation Hockey Center...THE MUSIC IS TERRIBLE! God SCSU needs a band...we will have one next year.

Seriously, play music that is UPBEAT and not slow sissy crap.

There's the problem with much of newer music: It's too moody and droning for firing up an arena crowd.

Point 1

I've scan-surfed radio up and down the RRV a couple of times in the last few months. Talk about a yawner.

One night in the Fargo area for about 30 minutes the most "up-tempo" station on the FM side was (get this) Outlaw Country 92.7! Even traditional rocker Q98 played some of this "new rock" that is slow and dirge-esque. I'd call it "mope-around and feel sorry for myself" music.

What I learned is there is no new "stadium rock" or "radio rock" out there any more. By that I mean fun lyriced, up-tempo, high energy music, music that if you blared it over a PA system you'd charge up a crowd.

Then it struck me: The up-tempo beat and riffs from the 1980s have migrated over to country music. A classic example is Shania Twain. Her hubby is none other than "Mutt" Lange.

What'd Mutt do before Shania? (Double entendre intended.) Why, he's listed as producer on AC/DC's "Back in Black" and at least one Def Leppard album plus a bunch of other rock albums from that era. Now he's producing Shania's music (and child). You'd be surprised how much 1980s and 1990s stadium rock has Mutt's fingerprints somewhere on it.

Today's country sounds like 1980s radio rock done with Nashville instruments and artists. It's up. It's fun. It's dance-able. It's party music. It's not full of itself with oh-so deep social meaning (whatever than load of crap is and means) and slow and moping tempo and sound.

The first hints of this conversion were given back in the 1980s by none other than Charlie Daniels. (You'll see below.)

So the logic association center in my head tripped: Could you pull off an all up-tempo country music theme weekend at The Ralph? Could you pull off some up-tempo country in the normal rotation? And I mean only the most up-tempo, hear it on the dance floor at a bar, country music.

For example:

Montgomery Gentry's "Hell Yeah!" (tell Tom Buning you hear "hell" in church ;) )

"I Like It, I Love It" -- Tim McGraw

Charlie Daniel's "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" (the rock interlude when the Devil is "playing", and what's this I hear Charlie's brother "Jack" can be found in 107 and 108 at times? ;) )

Toby Keith's "A Little Less Talk And A Lot More Action"

Toby Keith's "Who's Your Daddy?"

I think the key to all of this is up-tempo music, stuff that wants to make the old folks exacerbate themselves and tap a toe :p and the younger folks dance and party.

Point 2

When I have the power over the REA sound system some (most) of the existing crap goes away and in comes some up music to test the sound system in REA. It's a pretty good system for an arena and you can hear the stereo capabilities.

First and foremost --> Aldo Nova's "Fantasy". I'd love to time that so the long intro runs during the last 90 seconds before the team hits the ice for a period.

Next? I'd have to stage the coup d'tat and take power over the ring. The long intro of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" needs to have the word THUNDER up and sliding around on the ring and when the lyric "Thunder!" goes the "UND" in THUNDER needs to bulge out (I won't say "jersey pop" type action) as a double-pulse like a heartbeat. That'd fill the 60 seconds of a commerical time-out in a period.

Point 3

The prep work on the music needs to be better. If there's a fun up-tempo cut, riff, or lyric in a song you want to use don't start at the beginning of the song and hope you get there.

Why not have pre-cut tracks of what you want from the song ready to go ahead of time. That way you won't still be listening to the intro of the song when the puck drops and the music starts.

As an example from above, have the "Who's Your Daddy?" chorus queued up and ready; don't start from the intro.

Well, there it is: I need the power. Hand it over. :D;)

You've got my vote. You've communicated more clearly than I many of the thoughts I've had. Finding the right music, cutting out the tracks that are appropriate, have them cued up and ready to play at a moments notice, and go.

As for popular music, you said exactly what I'm thinking. I get tired of much of today's popular music because it's brooding and moody.

How about Trooper's Raise a Little Hell? I think someone might already have mentioned this one. It's appropriate....they're Canadian. Think chunks of these lyrics could work in the right places?

Raise a little Hell, raise a little Hell, raise a little Hell

If you don't like

What you got

Why don't you change it

If your world is all screwed up

Rearrange it

Raise a little Hell ...

If you don't like what you see

Why don't you fight it

If you know there's something wrong

Why don't you right it

Raise a little Hell ...

In the end it comes down to your thinking

And there's really nobody to blame

When it feels like your ship is sinking

And you're too tired to play the game

Nobody's going to help you

You've just got to stand up alone

And dig in your heels

And see how it feels

To raise a little Hell of your own

Raise a little Hell ...

If you don't like

What you got

Why don't you change it

If your world is all screwed up

Rearrange it

Raise a little Hell ...

Sic- Maybe so, but I'll tell you what:

When I think of country music, I think of outragous and outlandish wardrobes, 50 pound belt buckles, NASCAR, and livestock doing various different things (from farm behaviors to rodeos and so on).

"I like it, I love it" by Tim McGraw is a song I NEVER want to hear again. EVER. The NFL played the song to death and then, as it laid dead, kicked it repeatedly. It would be something if the song didn't suck in the first place.

No country music even if there is a lot more rock influence than there used to be.

Not even a little love for "Who's your Daddy?" And I'll give you that McGraw's tune is the first one I'd pull off that list.

The key point to my previous epiphany is this: Up-tempo, fun music cut and ready at the best parts. (Who cares about "genre" as long as the crowd gets going.)

Still, what would be interesting to know is where the rowdier, livelier crowd will be:

- Toby Keith at The Ralph

- Nickelback at the Fargodome

Sic- Maybe so, but I'll tell you what:

When I think of country music, I think of outragous and outlandish wardrobes, 50 pound belt buckles, NASCAR, and livestock doing various different things (from farm behaviors to rodeos and so on).

"I like it, I love it" by Tim McGraw is a song I NEVER want to hear again. EVER. The NFL played the song to death and then, as it laid dead, kicked it repeatedly. It would be something if the song didn't suck in the first place.

No country music even if there is a lot more rock influence than there used to be.

And when people think of 80's rock music, its long hair, Aquanet and neon spandex. Whats your point? :p

I'd rather have a 50 lb belt buckle thanks...

Seriously, I hardly think Sic is promoting the use of Dolly Parton or Charlie Pride and the like...THAT would be a yawn fest. The up-beat country style he mentioned gets played at bars and such and it gets people to the floor.

My biggest beef with the music is not so much selection as it is timing as mentioned before...most of the good stuff doesnt happen til the chorus or later in the tune.

I hardly think Sic is promoting the use of Dolly Parton ...

Oh, in her prime I'd have loved to used Dolly for something. :p

The up-beat country style he mentioned gets played at bars and such and it gets people to the floor.

There's not a lot of that, but why not find it and use it is what I'm saying.

Again:

The key point to my previous epiphany is this: Up-tempo, fun music cut and ready at the best parts. (Who cares about "genre" as long as the crowd gets going.)