SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND fans like to see to add Hockey first?

bigmrg74

What school would UND fans like to see add hockey first?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a school, and start rattling off pros of them or the cons of others.

• NDSU *easy on the smack talk guys!!
    • USD or SDSU
    • GVSU * Y'all know where my heart is on this one.
    • Oregon
    • Syracuse
    • Penn St.
    • Other school * Name them.

I just thought I would conduct a little unscientific poll here to see whom UND fans would love to see to step up to D1 Hockey. From what I've heard, that Georgia school that was going to move up to be the CHA's sixth team, so they're probably shopping for a new team, and are not going to be picky at all. However, I just want to hear from you guys on which schools you guys think that could make Hockey work for them?

Just some of my thoughts

1. NDSU, because you know thats an instant rivalry.

2. the SoDaks, local teams for you.

3. GVSU. Please click on this link for mine and other Laker fans thoughts, ideas and musings about the idea of GVSU Hockey. :lol:

4. Oregon, Not really on anybodys radar, but bare with me. West Coast Location, little compition for any local recuits near them, could tap into BC for talent there, and most importantly, flag ship of Nike, the CEO's alma mater. He could bankroll that program himself if Hockey was started there.

5. Big school in a big hockey area, many wonder why they don't already have one.

6. Big school, on a lot of short lists already to add hockey.

Thats all for now, I'm pretty sure you guys can figure this one out for yourselves. ???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, Penn State used to have a hockey program but they deep sixed it. So did UPenn, Kent State, and U Illinois (though now they have a club team).

GVSU would be interesting. I think a more amiable rivalry could be built with them even though the only conferences I could see GVSU fitting in would be either the CHA (most likely) or the CCHA.

For those that are voting Penn State, be aware that if they were added the WCHA would loose Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Big 10 Hockey confrence. As has been discussed ad nausium on USCHO Big Ten bylaw mandate that a sport would be added to the confrence if 6 member schools participate in a sport.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State.

Be careful what you wish for, the WCHA can't affoard to loose MN and WI.

I say UNL. Having a hockey rivalry between the Lincoln and Omaha schools would do wonders for the minimal hockey interest Nebraska seems to have right now. Plus UNO seems to be down there on their own...I think Mankato is currently the closest school with hockey. And the team could almost feed directly off the USHL teams down there.

There has been alot of talk here at NDSU (yes, I go to this hated university, but am a die hard Sioux fan, so give me a break) about going to D1 hockey. The club team has made huge strides between its first and second seasons and actually pulled in some decent recruits away from other club teams (Minot namely). I am personally split on it, although I did vote for NDSU. It would be nice to see the rivalry jump to a new sport, but although it would take NDSU 5-10 years to establish a decent program, local hockey talent would now be split about where to go. Its hard enough to keep local ND and MN kids around to play for UND instead of SCSU, U of M, etc. I think there would be a negative affect on both clubs adding another source for D1 hockey this close.

I do like ISU, its a good school, but I don't think they are close to going DI in hockey.

Just Curious, has there been any new developments in the push for SU hockey? I know there is a considerable group that has pushed the issue for what seems like forever, but is there anything noteworthy that has occurred recently that makes you think it will look at it again (besides the club doing well)?

My vote has to go to NDSU, for obvious reasons. It would be sweet if DI hockey expanded to Iowa or some of the PAC-10 schools, but I'd rather convert the Bison first :p .

Of course, if it were up to me :sad: I'd have them ALL start DI hockey :lol:??? !! Even at the expense of Big Ten hockey :sad: .

Just Curious - you stated the exact reason why I didn't vote for NDSU...pulling recruits away from UND. Granted, the calibur of NDSU recruits could hardly compare to those being sought by UND. But decades down the road, NDSU could be a hockey powerhouse, and all the people on this forum will be wishing they hadn't voted for NDSU.

:lol: The thought of NDSU as a hockey powerhouse...now that's funny.

Nothing really new on the NDSU front. The talk was earlier in the year and has since died down a bit. I know there are many people involved with the club team that are very eager to go DI and I would not be surprised that if funding goes well for the next few years, a vote would be forth coming. I think alot depends on how they finish this year, if they make the playoffs I could see the issue coming up again next year, if not, maybe in 2 or 3 years.

FYI, Penn State used to have a hockey program but they deep sixed it. So did UPenn, Kent State, and U Illinois (though now they have a club team).

I voted for "other," of course I would LOVE to see Illinois have a D1 hockey team. They could get a lot of kids from the Chicago area (most of the rest of the state is a hockeyless void) and from the Madison area. Plus there's acres upon acres of smelly farmland on which to build a stadium. The Illini club team is pretty darn good, I had season tickets. (It cost me like $40!) It was so great, they sold out every game (like 300 tickets, hah) and we could scream whatever we wanted without fear of recourse.

However, it would have to compete with basketball, which is the big thing down there.

I wonder if the Fargo Coliseum gets the proposed remodeling if it will have any effect on NDSU getting a hockey team. It could be a good place to begin a program and begin to grow.

I wouldn't mind seeing USD get hockey also. The arena situation is their biggest problem. Although they could always play in Sioux Falls while working on funding for a new hockey/basketball arena. If USD, SDSU, and NDSU all joined the CHA it could really turn into a very respectable league.

The 2 Montana schools and Northern Colorado are also intriguing.

I voted other...

Why not SVSU (Saginaw Valley)! There's one for you bigmrg74 ??? . They could use the Dow Event Center in Saginaw (OHL team there).

Really though... can I vote again :lol:

I think NDSU would just continue to add to the rivalry that exists between the two. Also, I wouldn't want another university such as Penn State added if it really would mess up the WCHA.

Thinking about it, maybe SVSU wouldn't be to bad. Maybe there could be a day when UND could actually play in my "backyard"!? Potentially football, maybe hockey... one can dream right?!

I voted "other."

Regional schools would be nice, but probably would do nothing as a whole to NCAA hockey. I'd like to see a BCS type school add hockey. As noted, the problem would be conference. Everyone would want the big time school. I like the Nebraska-Lincoln or a Colorado or Colorado St. I wouldn't be a fan of a Big Ten school if that whole having to create the conference is true.