SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND fans like to see to add Hockey first?

bigmrg74

What school would UND fans like to see add hockey first?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a school, and start rattling off pros of them or the cons of others.

• NDSU *easy on the smack talk guys!!
    • USD or SDSU
    • GVSU * Y'all know where my heart is on this one.
    • Oregon
    • Syracuse
    • Penn St.
    • Other school * Name them.

No news recently. There was an article last summer that had SU's AD talking about looking into hockey. Supposedly he sent someone to the women's FF last year to collect info. Apparently the idea would be to add a women's program first then add the men's program. Financing and facilities would seem to be serious issues. SU's pumping a lot of money into the football progarm and has to get back to being a bowl-level program. On the facilities side it'd be interesting to see if the Syracuse Crunch and SU would be willing to build a new arena together (I think the Crunch are badly in need of a new one). I also wonder what Jim Boeheim thinks about adding a hockey team? Haven't heard if he's spoken on the idea.

Syracuse has a history in hockey... but the thing I fear the most is that any new DI team out East is going to want to get into a conference that is out east as well. That means HEA (Not taking new teams), ECACHL (to my knowledge not taking new teams), or the AHA.

IMO, I'd rather see a team form that will help the CHA out rather than any conference out east.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Syracuse has a history in hockey... but the thing I fear the most is that any new DI team out East is going to want to get into a conference that is out east as well. That means HEA (Not taking new teams), ECACHL (to my knowledge not taking new teams), or the AHA.

IMO, I'd rather see a team form that will help the CHA out rather than any conference out east.

The CHA has such a crazy geographic profile it's hard to imagine a new program like Syracuse (if it were to happened, of course) being too anxious to join. Of course, like you said there aren't exactly a lot of options. If Syracuse made a committment to hockey I could see SU and Niagara going to the AHA in a second, if the conference was willing to expand to 12. SU has a natural rivarly with UConn and an SU-RIT rivalry would be a natural. That would kill the CHA... So, in reality, is the CHA courting schools to start/elevate programs?

The CHA has such a crazy geographic profile it's hard to imagine a new program like Syracuse (if it were to happened, of course) being too anxious to join. Of course, like you said there aren't exactly a lot of options. If Syracuse made a committment to hockey I could see SU and Niagara going to the AHA in a second, if the conference was willing to expand to 12. SU has a natural rivarly with UConn and an SU-RIT rivalry would be a natural. That would kill the CHA... So, in reality, is the CHA courting schools to start/elevate programs?

If it is, I'm more than willing to give them the keys to the car and some gas and spending money for the CHA to take GVSU out for a little Courting. :huh: