SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND fans like to see to add Hockey first?

bigmrg74

What school would UND fans like to see add hockey first?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a school, and start rattling off pros of them or the cons of others.

• NDSU *easy on the smack talk guys!!
    • USD or SDSU
    • GVSU * Y'all know where my heart is on this one.
    • Oregon
    • Syracuse
    • Penn St.
    • Other school * Name them.

For those that are voting Penn State, be aware that if they were added the WCHA would loose Minnesota and Wisconsin to the Big 10 Hockey confrence. As has been discussed ad nausium on USCHO Big Ten bylaw mandate that a sport would be added to the confrence if 6 member schools participate in a sport.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Penn State.

Be careful what you wish for, the WCHA can't affoard to loose MN and WI.

Do you really think that Eades and Lucia pet would go for leaving the WCHA, with UND, Denver, CC and close rival UMD. IMO There would be a huge stink if there was to be a Big ten conference. As far as NDSU - where would the money come from and I think that there great success in college hoops is enough for them!!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think that Eades and Lucia pet would go for leaving the WCHA, with UND, Denver, CC and close rival UMD. IMO There would be a huge stink if there was to be a Big ten conference. As far as NDSU - where would the money come from and I think that there great success in college hoops is enough for them!!!!

I still don't see why all of the current Big Ten Schools would opt to leave their current Hockey conference for the Big Ten HC. Especially Penn St. who would just be building their program and would be better off going CHA for a few years to get some recuiting ties going, some tradition. If they jump in right now with the BTCH, they're pretty much going to be the league's beyotch, only good for about 4 points on the weekend, and maybe a little help with the PWS if they happen to beat a decent team or two from whatever's left of College hockey after the fallout of the BTHC.

I'm going to guess that Minneasota and Wisconsin probably have the largest budgets in the WCHA, but do you really think that they would want to go head to head with Michigan and OSU every year?? Their alums would just throw a whole lot more money at them just to be the best team in the BTHC. Hell, I've been in the Yost before, albeit only for a charity game local area health practiceinters that could bearly skate. They must really sale the game atmostsphere, because I thought it was rather dumpy. Michigan probably wouldn't think twice of building something that blows the Ralph right out of the water, other than trying to figure out where the heck they can put it in Ann Arbor. Do you really think Minneasota would want to compeat with that?

I voted other...

Why not SVSU (Saginaw Valley)! There's one for you bigmrg74 ??? . They could use the Dow Event Center in Saginaw (OHL team there).

Really though... can I vote again :lol:

Thinking about it, maybe SVSU wouldn't be to bad. Maybe there could be a day when UND could actually play in my "backyard"!? Potentially football, maybe hockey... one can dream right?!

Boy, and if the NCAA though swearing and other boorish behavior are problems in college hockey now..... :sad:

GVSU would be interesting. I think a more amiable rivalry could be built with them even though the only conferences I could see GVSU fitting in would be either the CHA (most likely) or the CCHA.

Thats right where I'm shooting for with GVSU to go into the CHA. I think we could be a real rock for that conferance to lean on, and hell, perhaps even earn them some respect. We have a great Athletic department, a growing student body and alumni base, located in Metro area of 1 Million plus, and already have ties to several other hockey schools thru the GLIAC, not to mention our budding football rivalry, :lol: And we would have about 6 other schools that would be under a 6 hour bus ride to get to: Western Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Bowling Green and Wisconsin. I'm sure some of those schools would be more than happy to pay us to show up the first couple of years when we're building up the program.

Are you kidding me? I'll tell you one reason: MONEY! Why did Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College leave the Big East for the ACC in football? Imagine a Big Ten Final Five! When's the last time the Sioux played in the CCHA/WCHA Challenge?

Hate 'em or hate 'em, the WCHA without Minnesota and Wisconsin and adding Bemidji State and UM-Crookston = the new College Hockey America Conference.

If PSU did add hockey and a BTHC was started wouldn't they have to add a couple of other teams for scheduling purposes. The two obvious choices would be UND and Notre Dame. Sounds like you guys would make out all right with that. UND in the Big Ten? Makes me sick to think about it. What I would love to see is PSU add hockey along with my beloved Bison. Now if and when UND goes DI then things could get interesting. Ponder this scenario. If everything works out with Big Sky and UND, NDSU and SDSU get in the next few years this chain of events could happen.

-Sacremento and Portland State bolt for a west coast conferance. The Big Sky later adds USD and DU and the conference shapes up like this.

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Montana

Montana State

Weber State

Eastern Washington

Northern Arizona

Idaho State

Denver

UNC

Under this scenario assuming NDSU and USD and one other school adds hockey, perhaps we could have a Big Sky hockey conference that would be a primarily western hockey conference. Say goodbye to the CHA.

There are a lot of if's and maybe's in this scenario but to me as an NDSU fan that would be perfect. (Wouldn't mind kicking out Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona and adding Gonzaga so we have ten Football schools and two basketball schools)

Nobody is going to add hockey until they resolve three issues: 1. Money; 2. Fanbase/Local Support; and 3. Title IX.

That said, I would rather see a school like Colorado, Penn State or Iowa State add D1 hockey, as they are already D1 schools in other sports, and have the fanbases to support a legitimate program. 'SU would be interesting, and the late Herb Brooks suggested they would be a logical choice, but I don't see Tony Lama making skates anytime soon. :lol:???

If PSU did add hockey and a BTHC was started wouldn't they have to add a couple of other teams for scheduling purposes. The two obvious choices would be UND and Notre Dame. Sounds like you guys would make out all right with that. UND in the Big Ten? Makes me sick to think about it. What I would love to see is PSU add hockey along with my beloved Bison. Now if and when UND goes DI then things could get interesting. Ponder this scenario. If everything works out with Big Sky and UND, NDSU and SDSU get in the next few years this chain of events could happen.

-Sacremento and Portland State bolt for a west coast conferance. The Big Sky later adds USD and DU and the conference shapes up like this.

NDSU

UND

SDSU

USD

Montana

Montana State

Weber State

Eastern Washington

Northern Arizona

Idaho State

Denver

UNC

Under this scenario assuming NDSU and USD and one other school adds hockey, perhaps we could have a Big Sky hockey conference that would be a primarily western hockey conference. Say goodbye to the CHA.

There are a lot of if's and maybe's in this scenario but to me as an NDSU fan that would be perfect. (Wouldn't mind kicking out Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona and adding Gonzaga so we have ten Football schools and two basketball schools)

Wow, Big Sky with hockey?! :lol: There's one I've never heard of before! I think that's little too far-fetched right now though. Gonzaga even more. But we can dream, right? ???

Actually I think DI NCC with hockey is more likely to happen than a big sky hockey conference. Not that I think a DI NCC will or even should happen (I think it would be detrimental for many involved) just (somewhat) more likely.

Nobody is going to add hockey until they resolve three issues: 1. Money; 2. Fanbase/Local Support; and 3. Title IX.

That said, I would rather see a school like Colorado, Penn State or Iowa State add D1 hockey, as they are already D1 schools in other sports, and have the fanbases to support a legitimate program. 'SU would be interesting, and the late Herb Brooks suggested they would be a logical choice, but I don't see Tony Lama making skates anytime soon. :lol:???

You're probably right, big schools have the advantage in $$. NDSU might be an exception however, since hockey has been hanging overhead forever there. Once they get situated with their current sports that is.

I really don't think Eades and Lucia would have any say in the matter. If what I stated is correct then the Big 10 would automatically start the confrence. Scheduling with a 6 team confrence might be a pain in the A$$, but I don't think any of those school would have any problem getting out of confrence games.

This topic always comes up when the rumors swirl on Notre Dame joining the Big 10. Although if Notre Dame can continue send a team to a BCS game every couple years there is no way they'll move to a confrence and have to share that $$$.

Regard a BTHC:

Keep in mind the U of MN fans probably would be against breaking the Sioux/Gopher rivalry as much as we would. I think the schools would only leave their respective conferences if there were at least 8 or 9 schools with hockey. IMHO, Penn St. alone probably wouldn't do it, but thrown in Iowa and Illinois...

If PSU did add hockey and a BTHC was started wouldn't they have to add a couple of other teams for scheduling purposes. The two obvious choices would be UND and Notre Dame. Sounds like you guys would make out all right with that. UND in the Big Ten?

That still gives you eight teams though, no Big Ten!! :lol:

Eh, its not like the Big Ten knows how to count anyways. :sad:???

i would like to see Crookston step it up like Bemidji did. I think it would be fun to have ANOTHER minnesota D-1 college hockey team in the mix for our beloved FIGHTING SIOUX to rival and kick the snot out of.....you could also have a new holiday tournament.......THE HIGHWAY 2 CHALLENGE....... :bigsmile:

i was checking the spec on the endline rotary girder....i'm retarded....(tommy boy) ;)

I said other. That being Iowa State, because it is more likely than any of the listed options, plus it expands hockey's sphere of influence to another state.

Here is another vote for ISU...I live in Des Moines and would definately got to some ISU hockey games if they go D1 since it is only a 20 minute drive. My girlfriend and I are planning on going to one of the ISU hockey games here sometime. I think right now it is just a club but would benefit by going D1. Plus it would help the local lack of hockey support here.

Crookston? Well, I guess they might as well step up and go D1 for hockey. What is it that makes that school so lame anyways?? ;)

Maybe many reasons, but here is mine.

It's a four year school that is 1/2 an hour from UND and really offers nothing unique. Meanwhile a different city in Minnesota is the largest city in the U.S. without a dedicated 4 year university (and the 2nd biggest metro area in Minnesota). Serious misallocation of funding.

I was skimming on yahoo sports today and saw an article about Penn State hockey, mentioning a national tournament in March, playing No. 3 Ohio, etc (with Rhode Island ranked as number 1) Does anyone know if this is for club hockey or what? I was just curious with all the people that mentioned wanting Penn State to get hockey. I tried to post a link to the article, but I've never done that before, so it probably won't work.

Penn State Hockey

I was skimming on yahoo sports today and saw an article about Penn State hockey, mentioning a national tournament in March, playing No. 3 Ohio, etc (with Rhode Island ranked as number 1) Does anyone know if this is for club hockey or what? I was just curious with all the people that mentioned wanting Penn State to get hockey. I tried to post a link to the article, but I've never done that before, so it probably won't work.

Penn State Hockey

Yes, this is club hockey.

Penn State Hockey

Yeah, they're one of the schools that seem to have their name tossed around a lot for adding varsity hockey. The only problem with them is that they could eventually trigger the worst thing ever to happen to NCAA Hockey, the Big Ten Hockey Conferance, at least thats the opinion I've gathered about it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Just Curious, has there been any new developments in the push for SU hockey? I know there is a considerable group that has pushed the issue for what seems like forever, but is there anything noteworthy that has occurred recently that makes you think it will look at it again (besides the club doing well)?

No news recently. There was an article last summer that had SU's AD talking about looking into hockey. Supposedly he sent someone to the women's FF last year to collect info. Apparently the idea would be to add a women's program first then add the men's program. Financing and facilities would seem to be serious issues. SU's pumping a lot of money into the football progarm and has to get back to being a bowl-level program. On the facilities side it'd be interesting to see if the Syracuse Crunch and SU would be willing to build a new arena together (I think the Crunch are badly in need of a new one). I also wonder what Jim Boeheim thinks about adding a hockey team? Haven't heard if he's spoken on the idea.