SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sioux vs. Minnesota

ScottM

Alright, kids, this is it. Going into Mariucci is never easy for any team, but I like our chances for pulling at least 2 pts next weekend. We're going to have our WJC crew back, and I think the team is playing very well and with a lot of confidence right now. In addition, even though Guyer and Tallackson should be back for Minnesota, they will *probably* still be missing Potulny and will be missing Welch. If we play tough, smart and stay out of the box, we should do okay. It should be a great series and I think both teams will really step it up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since you asked, Scott... :p

Having Parise, Jones and Greene back will certainly help. In regulation against CC, the Sioux really missed Jones and Greene. In overtime, they really missed Parise. Regardless of how good the two missing CC players are, I think the Sioux would have won at least one of the two games against the Tigers with their full roster.

Of course, there's also the question of whether the three returning players will be worn out from the WJCs. Blais said on the coaches show several weeks ago that he didn't think it would be a big factor this time because the tournament was in Canada. The players don't have to adjust to jet lag, different cultures or different food. He thought the experience would make them better players down the stretch.

It should be interesting to see what Blais does with the line combinations when Parise returns. Here's my guess:

Notermann-Parise-Bochenski: Notermann had a great series against CC. Bochenski and Parise play well together. Notermann gives the line senior experience and leadership.

Prpich-Lunbohm-Massen: Massen seems to be more effective playing with Lundbohm, so I assume they'll be back on the same line again. With his grinding style of play, Prpich is starting to remind me of Ryan Bayda. The Sioux now have two legitimate scoring lines.

Spiewak-McMahon-Hale: They played well against CC's Sejna line, so why break them up? With Spiewak's speed, this line is also a threat to score.

Genoway will probably center the fourth line with any number of possible combinations on the wings. Fylling will probably be on one wing with Canady, Connelly and Palmiscno competing for the other wing.

The big question is: Have the Sioux finally found a consistent goalie in Marc Ranfranz? If he starts against Minnesota, he'll be totally pumped. He's been waiting a couple years for that opportunity because he has relatives in the Rochester area.

A split is probably a realistic. However, if the Sioux get good goaltending, taking three of four points or four of four isn't out of the question.

Why?

Because last season at Minnesota when Siembida was played well, the Sioux beat the Gophers once and led them late in the third period of the second game. When Kollar played well in the playoffs, the Sioux took the eventual national champs into overtime.

The Sioux are clearly better than they were last year. The Gophers aren't as good. Expect the unexpected. :(

Good analysis Pat but I wonder if the Sioux needed Greene this weekend. They didn't seem to need a physical presence and the PIMs that Matt brings could have really hurt the team. Greene will be needed this weekend though.

Also Pat do you know if the Sioux track ice time for the games? I would love to know how much time Schneider and D. Hale logged this weekend. Leinweber and Marvin saw much more action on Saturday but it seemed to be at Fuher's expense more than the other two.

Last night was awesome, the place was rocking. Reminded me kind of like an NHL arena during the stanley cup playoffs. (I saw game 7 in the old Boston Garden in 1988 when the Bruins defeated the NJ Devils).

I couldn't sleep when I got home, I had to get up at 0400 a.m. in the morning to go to work, still excited. Folks our team is pretty good, I am not just saying that because I am a homer either. That was some of the best hockey I have witnessed in a long time.

I will break it down further. The reason I say that is, the team we played had their super stars Petter Sejna and company, and our star Parise who was in the WJ's. We played short on defense all night.

I think UND will be pretty dangerous, from here on out. No lead is safe and Bochenski can only be held down so long. Wow...

Our should be proud, however, tomorrow is another day.

Did anyone notice that UND played a disciplined 1-2-2 at times. Working it pretty good for the most part using mostly 4-5 defensemen. C.C. is pretty damn good and the checking line did a good job for the most part controlling the top line of C.C. they are going to score because they are great, if you can limit them on the point sheet your team is doing pretty good.

Goaltending, yesh, but Ranfranz played well I thought. Brandt is going to steal some games. Blais has some decisions to make. I really like the way the Marvin kid played. Lee is going to get some playing time.

David Hale, wow, what a player. He's back...

Andy Schnider, the kid is tough as nails.

Saturday night's game is on FSN so I assume it's on up in GF. Friday night's game is on KSTC Channel 45 in the Twin Cities. I doubt this is available up in GF. I've heard that Friday night's game is also on tape-delay on FSN.

I wonder if the Gophers have anything similar to the Sioux as far as television coverage on satellite? Probably not considering their television contract(s) with Fox and KSTC.

From what I understand, channel 45 is only available to those (on the dish) with the local programming option inside the local viewing area - in other words you're sol for 45 if you're outside the normal TC viewing area. And yes, FSN has (so far) replayed all channel 45 games sometime on the following Sunday afternoon.

Should be a fun weekend. The Gopher top line has been very quiet the past few games, but we've had good production (especially this past weekend) and pressure from the 3rd & 4th lines. If MN wants to take any points from the Sioux they need to crash the net and score ugly. If they try to make the perfect pass like they did last weekend they will not score enough.

The Wooger was on K-FAN -- UND's defense is more rugged/aggressive. He mentioned more mobility, but I'm not sure if it was in reference to the defense corp of UMN or UND.

UMN is not spectacular in net, but they are better then what UND has in net. The gophers chances this weekend should be pretty good. The question(s) is/are what will UND's goaltending do on the road and can they play and WIN on the road.

The loss of Dan Welch was hard to take. Welch's dad is one of Wooger's best friends. He has been given many chances so it is his responsibility. Lucia did the right thing not playing Welch even though technically he had every right to let him play (especially with the team being shorthanded -- injuries/world jrs). It is difficult to take a player in the top 6 or 7 and replace him with a 12 - 13 range player.

There is no live coverage of the game unless you are in the Twin Cities. I sent a message to KTSC 45 and they said they do not use a satellite at all. So there will be no backfeed to try and pick up.

According to Dish and Direct TV, the game will be rebroadcast at 4:00 EST on Saturday morning on Fox Sports North. I forgot to ask KTSC if this was correct.

The Portland Alumni Chapter scheduled a reunion to watch the Friday game. I'm waiting for them to let me know how they plan on watching the game.

Unless Portland has some magic way of watching the game that they care to share with everyone else, I guess I'll talk to everyone on US Collge Hockey Online while listening to internet radio.

But, the Saturday night game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports North, right? I've wondered if there are any other Sioux fans in the Boston area who've tried to see games at local spots in town. Are there any of you out there? If so, where have you gone to see any games?

I've watched a few Sioux-Minnesota and Sioux-Wisconsin games, and a couple WCHA final five games that were broadcast on the MidWest Sports Channel at T's Pub in Boston in years past. That's a BU hangout, but they've been pretty accommodating -- even when I was the only one who wanted to watch (without the sound on). Of course, it helped a couple years ago when one of the waitresses turned out to be from Grand Forks. No kidding. She was a freshman at BU that year.

Is the Midwest Sports Channel still out there, or did it become Fox Sports North, or what's the deal? Thanks.

SiouxFanInBoston,

The Saturday night game is live on Fox Sports North (formerly Midwest Sports Channel).

I checked the UND Alumni site (http://www.undalumni.org/reunion.htm) and don't see anything for the Boston area. You may want to contact the off-campus reunion coordinator via a link on the website. She may be able to tell you if anyone in Boston is getting together to watch the game.

Also, you may want to post a message on the message board at US College Hockey Online (http://www.uscollegehockey.com/). In addition to finding a few UND grads to get together with, I'm sure there's some college hockey fans in the Boston area that would love a chance to watch the game.

For next year, you may want to volunteer to be the coordinator for Boston. You select the location and UND will send out a mailing to all grads in the area who will contact you if they are coming.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

I'm going to be in the cities on Friday night but cannot make the game. I was hoping to watch the game in some local bar. I know that FSN is not broadcasting the Gopher game live but is doing it tape delayed at 3:00AM Saturday morning.

Is there anyone broadcasting the game live and if so who?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to be in the cities on Friday night but cannot make the game. I was hoping to watch the game in some local bar. I know that FSN is not broadcasting the Gopher game live but is doing it tape delayed at 3:00AM Saturday morning.

It's on KTCS Channel 45, which is an over-the-air UHF station (Can I still be the janitor? :( ) and can be picked up within 50 or so miles of the twin towns.

See the problem with this is I have heard from some people that friday night's game isn't going to be tape delayed at all. I would really like to know for cuz if the game ISNT going to be tape delayed i will listen to the radio but if it is i will stay up and watch the game without knowing the results.

CB on with Tim and Swyg this morning (comments on Jason N are on the Notermann thread).

Talked about CC and referee Mike Schmidt, last year vs. this year, then into gopher talk:

Loss of Dan Welch will probably have a huge impact, however, Gino G. and Barry T. are back, and they are both very talented. No team has any freshmen left as after the Christmas break no one is a "fresh" man anymore.

While the world jrs. are physically and emotionally draining on players, this year probably wasn't as bad a year as Halifax didn't require an overseas trip/flight.

Goaltending is being questioned by everyone -- Jake B. probably on Friday --- practice and a host of other things go into determining who plays in goal.

Many players for UND are coming into their own -- Rory M has really stepped it up. (also Ryan C and Mike P, and Lee M stepped it up this past weekend)

Tim: what are you going to do about line combinations, Notes, David L and BB played so well together.

Possibly: Jason N., David L., Brandon B.

James M., Kevin S., and Zach P.

Mike P., Ryan H., Rory M.

Good to have the Matts back -- after Saturday's game David H and Andy S looked like wet rags.

Vanek is dangerous -- he can pick his spot with his shot; but Riddle is the guy that can really burn you -- moves, speed, ability.

UND can't afford to take the bad penalties (hooking, tripping, slashing).

Swyg wished the team good luck "at the John" -- that's Swyg's new name for the Gopher's arena (since we have the Ralph, they have the John)

(Tim mentioned something about being on KFan around 11:15 -- I think he was talking about today)

I think that would be great for line combos. Notermann, Bochenski and lundbohm seemed to light it up together so why not put parise on the second line to spark spiewak and massen (plus massen is an AWESOME finisher as well as parise himself). Those line combos excite me... maybe a little too much :(