SiouxSports.com Forum

Missing in action

SIOUXELEVENS

I will probably be flamed for this thread but here goes.Why after ever home loss do we hear the team needs to play with desperation and not just the last ten minutes of each game(when there behind of course).This team has no emotion or fire at all,why? Is it coaching or lack of drive from the players,if it's either one that would point at coaching(no this is not a fire hakstol thread) Why does this team always seems to come out flat with no fire or urgency at all?Maybe they need a different approach to the players and maybe some threats of not playing or less ice time, something need to change and fast or we won't have to worry about the regionals or even home ice for the WCHA playoffs.I have been a fan since 93-94 and have only missed a handful of home games since and have seen many games on the road I have been through three Head Coaches and seen lots of players come and go and this team just baffles me,no offensive pressure,no forecheck and struggles breaking out of there own zone.Watching last nights game Harvard made two or three short passes and they were down the ice and we eat it along the boards and turn the puck over.Maybe we need a different coach for the Offensive and powerless play to shake things up.With all the talent on this team something isn't clicking and if not for a late run last year what would these message boards look like?I know Hakstol,Berry and Eades don't suit up any more but if they could get there players to get up for games like they did it would be a very fun team to watch,sorry for being long winded I'am glad I waited until this morning when I calmed down a little before doing this. I'am out of here

Edited by raynman03

I agree with your points raynman03. Different game...same excuses. "Duh...well we played for 20 minutes...." Get off the "we are a young team" BS as youth does not mean you can't work your ass off every shift...please note T.J. Oshie. When will this team show up on a consistant basis? When will they play hard and play like they can? When and if they do I think they can be a force. What happened to the expect to win every night and play hard every shift attitude that a Coach named Blais was able to bring out of the players. I am not saying we need a new coach, but maybe the coach needs to get a little attitude on the bench and perhaps in the locker room if it is not there already. There is my $0.02!

Edited by A.B.T.G.

I have not seen anyone connected with the program use youth as an excuse. In fact, from day 1 Hak has refused to talk about how young the team is.

Unfortunately youth is going to be a common theme for years to come because as soon as the young guys develop they leave for the pros and are not here for their senior and in a growing number of cases even their junior years. I would agree that Hak has not once used youth as an excuse for this team and I praise him for that. The way we have played at home is totally inexcusable. At this rate it will be at a disadvantage to have the west regional at the Ralph if they make the tourney.

Unfortunately youth is going to be a common theme for years to come because as soon as the young guys develop they leave for the pros and are not here for their senior and in a growing number of cases even their junior years. I would agree that Hak has not once used youth as an excuse for this team and I praise him for that. The way we have played at home is totally inexcusable. At this rate it will be at a disadvantage to have the west regional at the Ralph if they make the tourney.

If the Sioux continue their tough times at home, maybe you'll see an about-face come March in a hastily-arranged meeting with the NCAA. I can see it now...

UND Administration: "You've been right the whole time, NCAA. We need to move the west regional out of Grand Forks immediately."

NCAA (Homer Burns as Myles Brand): "Excellent."

Edited by MafiaMan

I was at the game last night...I saw a team that was working, but one that had alot of difficulty with Harvard's trapping style of play. Over the past few years, not many UND teams have had success handling a trapping style - remember Denver in 2004 at regionals? I personally hate that style since it makes for a very boring, low-scoring game.

Anyway, I think last night's result was a reflection of the youth on the team (I know I was told not to say this) and an inability of the defensive players to carry the puck through the neutral zone. I have gone to all of the home games and watch nearly all of the away games and I have observed that, among the defensive corps, only Smaby and Lee can consistently carry the puck out of the Sioux zone and through the neutral zone. Has anyone else made this observation? And because of Harvard's style, very few passes went thru the neutral zone. So it got down to a "skate in and dump it". That is why only Stafford seemed to be effective on offense. I'm not sure where Zajac or Porter were last night... I know that Prpich was in the box, so I've accounted for him. Fabian is a big guy, but he didn't have the speed. He did win alot of his battles when he made it to the show. Spirko was fine, but he's not a power forward. My point is that if you're going to dump it in, you've got to get to it first or take it away. Stafford is great at this. The problem last night was that, at times, it appeared to be a "dump and then give only a half-hearted effort to get the puck" type of game for the Sioux. Many times it was "dump and a line change"...

To win tonight, they'll have to realize how much they have over Harvard in terms of size, speed and talent and actually use it to defeat the trap...Please comment on whether you think my comments are valid...

Let's go Sioux...

To win tonight, they'll have to realize how much they have over Harvard in terms of size, speed and talent and actually use it to defeat the trap...Please comment on whether you think my comments are valid...

Let's go Sioux...

I think that talent, size, and speed can overcome a trapping style team as well.

Just look at 03-04 and those same Sioux and Denver teams. Before that NCAA Regional, the two teams played to a 1-1 tie, and 8-2 and 6-2 Sioux blowout wins. So, it can be done, hopefully the Sioux can do it tonight against Harvard.

I was at the game last night...I saw a team that was working, but one that had alot of difficulty with Harvard's trapping style of play. Over the past few years, not many UND teams have had success handling a trapping style - remember Denver in 2004 at regionals? I personally hate that style since it makes for a very boring, low-scoring game.

Anyway, I think last night's result was a reflection of the youth on the team (I know I was told not to say this) and an inability of the defensive players to carry the puck through the neutral zone. I have gone to all of the home games and watch nearly all of the away games and I have observed that, among the defensive corps, only Smaby and Lee can consistently carry the puck out of the Sioux zone and through the neutral zone. Has anyone else made this observation? And because of Harvard's style, very few passes went thru the neutral zone. So it got down to a "skate in and dump it". That is why only Stafford seemed to be effective on offense. I'm not sure where Zajac or Porter were last night... I know that Prpich was in the box, so I've accounted for him. Fabian is a big guy, but he didn't have the speed. He did win alot of his battles when he made it to the show. Spirko was fine, but he's not a power forward. My point is that if you're going to dump it in, you've got to get to it first or take it away. Stafford is great at this. The problem last night was that, at times, it appeared to be a "dump and then give only a half-hearted effort to get the puck" type of game for the Sioux. Many times it was "dump and a line change"...

Let's go Sioux...

You were there and I only listened to 2 periods on the radio. I think you are full of baloney.

I don't think Hakstol would have almost lost his voice if he thought they were giving maximum effort. They did not have the intensity required to overcome losses of key players. Hopefully they'll get it together and not have to look back and say what if...

I think you missed the implied :lol:. Or else I missed yours.

???

I meant mine to be in fun. I should have edited because I realized that I sounded like an a-hole after I pushed the button...

I was hoping to score some tickets for the gopher series, but I'm sure I'll be down there in a bar somewhere instead. If they keeping playing this way, I'm leaving my jersey at home...

I'm not going to make excuses for your guys losing to Harvard, but here are two points to consider.

1. Harvard has not been bad recently. Dominated the NCAA runners up for two periods in '03-'04. Gave UNH fits all game last year. Sure they didn't get it done either time, but I suspect it's just a matter of time before they win a couple of NCAA playoff games again.

2. UND is going to struggle every time they are missing four key players. Missing Lee and Chorney probably hurt the transition game as much as Toews and Oshie hurt the offense.

I just miss winning ;)

I want to win every game every year :lol:

No excuses - Just play the way we know you can ???

I'd hate to live & be a fan in many places

Sorry......... we just have such high hopes & expectations

Can we blame Mike Tice somehow ? ? ? or Moss ? ? ? or better Yet Kessel ;)

I will probably be flamed for this thread but here goes.Why after ever home loss do we hear the team needs to play with desperation and not just the last ten minutes of each game(when there behind of course).This team has no emotion or fire at all,why?

I agree, and I think Hak does as well. Sure, the Sioux were missing some guys. I could accept a great effort that came up short because of lack of talent--that's not what happened. The Sioux created very few scoring chances for 50 minutes, then they completely dominated but couldn't capitalize. Stafford and Spirko were the only forwards who made anything happen. Fabian tries hard, but he is limited. Zajac and Porter were invisible until very late in the game. Zajac has not been the same offensive force so far this season that he was last year.

I've picked on some of the upper classmen, but some young guys need to step up as well. This game was an opportunity for Kozek, Watkins, Radke and others to raise their level of play.

I also agree that the Sioux often have trouble with the trap. Harvard always had at least 3-4 guys back and the Sioux had a miserable time getting through the neutral zone. When they actually got set up in the offensive zone, they looked OK.

The Sioux need some guys to score some ugly goals. Former players like Bochenski, Goren, and Bayda had a knack for finding those rebounds.

The positives:

Phil was very good again in goal. He certainly gave the team a chance to win.

The defense was solid. Finley stepped up and played a good game despite his injury. I'm becoming a Zach Jones fan. He plays with the same kind of grit and jam that Oshie has. Smaby and Finley made some bone crushing hits. Alexander and Marvin didn't make any big mistakes.

Very good puck movement on the PP late (even though they didn't score). Spirko and Zajac did a nice job on the points.

I'm not going to make excuses for your guys losing to Harvard, but here are two points to consider.

1. Harvard has not been bad recently. Dominated the NCAA runners up for two periods in '03-'04. Gave UNH fits all game last year. Sure they didn't get it done either time, but I suspect it's just a matter of time before they win a couple of NCAA playoff games again.

2. UND is going to struggle every time they are missing four key players. Missing Lee and Chorney probably hurt the transition game as much as Toews and Oshie hurt the offense.

Sagard,

You are wise man for Gopher fan. Harvard has a fine hockey tradition and Donato has them playing his style of hockey.

Frankly, for me, it is a little early to be overly concerned. Seems like many were worried about Hakstol not having the boys properly motivated last year and things turned out pretty good. I was in Columbus last year and that team peaked at exactly the right time, they played two outstanding games. I would have loved to see a win last night and thing a loss tonight will really hurt in the Pairwise but I still think that come March it's gonna be fun to watch these guys play.