SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this may have been postd in the other thread but heres the schedule for the remainder of the wjt...

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/1008/la_id/1.htm

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/3/5/2/0/index1.shtml

PLEASE NOTE THE SCHEDULE FOR THE

2006 WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

(all times are Pacific time):

JANUARY 2ND:

1pm - Pacific Coliseum: SUI vs. LAT

Quarter-finals at GM Place in Vancouver

4:00pm - FIN vs. SWE

8:00pm - CZE vs. USA

JANUARY 3RD:

1pm - Pacific Coliseum: SVK vs. NOR

Semi-finals at GM Place in Vancouver

4:00pm - CAN vs. the winner of FIN vs. SWE

8:00 pm - RUS vs. the winner of CZE vs. USA

Am I the only one who had no problem with what Johnson did at the end of the game? He is trailing the play on an obvious empty net game sealing goal, the kid from Canada is chirping and slashes him 2 or 3 times....what reaction was he looking to get out of him? Old Time Hockey(Eddie Shore, Gordie Howe Elbow, our line skates coach?). If you act like a punk, you might get punked.

i noticed that as well. his stick was slappped out of his hands. i guess that set the stage for the game.

I thought it was more a sign that the US was scared and not ready than a cheap shot by the Canadian player.

As for the Johnson hit, it was ruthless and cheap. Though I honestly thought he had missed.

Hopefully the Canadians will take some runs and get off their game if they play the US again.

Am I the only one who had no problem with what Johnson did at the end of the game? He is trailing the play on an obvious empty net game sealing goal, the kid from Canada is chirping and slashes him 2 or 3 times....what reaction was he looking to get out of him? Old Time Hockey(Eddie Shore, Gordie Howe Elbow, our line skates coach?). If you act like a punk, you might get punked.

I suggest you find a copy of that last rush before you decide who did what. Johnson made the first slash while trying to get back into the play. He wasn't able to get to Chipchira so he decided to give Downie, the Canadian who passed the puck up to Chipchira a slash. Downie gave him a mild slash back, not 2 or 3 as you suggest. It looked like it was over when Johnson pretended to look away and then he suckered Downie with an elbow. If you want to go after a guy then do it face to face. Johnson is lucky he is still be in this tournament (maybe).

You don't want your stick knocked out of your hands? Squeeze your stick tighter.

I agree with that - while the game is in play. Not before the intial puck has even been dropped.

I thought it was more a sign that the US was scared and not ready than a cheap shot by the Canadian player.

I didn't see it as the US being scared but rather the Canadians trying to set an early tone. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them trying to do that, but imho a ref needs to step in and tell a player to knock that off - it's cheap and unsportsmanlike.

...but imho a ref needs to step in and tell a player to knock that off - it's cheap and unsportsmanlike.

I believe he did. He skated over and was saying something in Downie's ear. The thing is, watch just about any random faceoff and opposing wingers are constantly batting at each others stick, jockeying for position. It happens all the time and is nothing more than gamesmanship. In this case, it just happens that Oshie's stick went flying. This would qualify as a mole hill, not a mountain.

But, I would agree, certainly set a tone.

Both quarter finals will be shown by TSN this evening so either FSN or Center Ice should pick up the feed for the US game I would imagine.

Tonight's games don't appear to be scheduled on either FSN or Center Ice. Looks like FSN will pick up the semis (would guess only if the US wins tonight) and the Gold Medal game (assume only if the US makes it there). The bronze medal game (If the US plays in it) apparently won't be televised. Looks like it's win or be taken off the air for something more entertaining like "the best damn sports show" (or whatever it's called).

Not sure if Center Ice will pick up the medal games.

Tonight's games don't appear to be scheduled on either FSN or Center Ice. Looks like FSN will pick up the semis (would guess only if the US wins tonight) and the Gold Medal game (assume only if the US makes it there). The bronze medal game (If the US plays in it) apparently won't be televised. Looks like it's win or be taken off the air for something more entertaining like "the best damn sports show" (or whatever it's called).

Not sure if Center Ice will pick up the medal games.

Game on on NHL center ice. Game starts at 1000pm tonight.

jack johnson reaction..you may have to be a registered user to read full article.

http://www.tsn.ca/world%5Fjrs/

from article

American defenceman Jack Johnson argues his elbow that flattened Team Canada forward Steve Downie wasn't as bad as everyone thinks. "If you watch the video it's not like his head snapped back or anything," Johnson said Tuesday, prior to the U.S. semifinal game against Russia at the world junior hockey championships. "If I had really connected he probably would have fallen back."

later in article

"I definitely didn't really get him," said Johnson, who has four goals and 16 assists in 15 games with the University of Michigan this season.

"I do hope he's all right and I do have respect for Downie."

later in article

The crowd at G.M. Place loudly booed each time Johnson touched the puck during the U.S.'s 2-1 win over the Czech Republic in Monday's quarter-final action.

"I noticed it right away," Johnson said with a smile.

"I loved it. I kind of thrived off it. It really didn't affect me at all. I thought it was kind of funny actually."

jack johnson quotes from usa today...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/juni...sa-russia_x.htm

Jack Johnson every time he touched the puck and yet he says he will be "the biggest Canada fan in Canada" when the Canadians play Russia for the gold medal at the World Junior Championships.

later in article

"Just because Canada is a class act team and Russia is big in taunting and everything," Johnson said. "We just like the way Canada carries itself, and I have a (University of Michigan) teammate on Canada."

jack johnson quotes from usa today...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/juni...sa-russia_x.htm

Jack Johnson every time he touched the puck and yet he says he will be "the biggest Canada fan in Canada" when the Canadians play Russia for the gold medal at the World Junior Championships.

later in article

"Just because Canada is a class act team and Russia is big in taunting and everything," Johnson said. "We just like the way Canada carries itself, and I have a (University of Michigan) teammate on Canada."

I saw the same article and, despite all I have heard and read about Johnson, my first reaction was, 'VERY classy.' And appreciated.

About that Oshie picture ... You wouldn't know it from the picture, but Oshie was the puck-carrier in that play. The Russian was trying to stand Oshie up at the blueline.

The Russian must have felt like he stepped onto a busy freeway :lol: He looked a bit dazed on the bench after the contact. Didn't seem to even slow Oshie down, Russian went through between his legs, and Oshie continued on down the boards.

About that Oshie picture ... You wouldn't know it from the picture, but Oshie was the puck-carrier in that play. The Russian was trying to stand Oshie up at the blueline.

The best thing for me was watching the reaction of the Russian players on the bench. They were all probably expecting to see Oshie get laid out, but that didn't happen!

That's a picture that could have been taken in every game Oshie has played in since he was a sophomore at Warroad. I've never seen a kid who can, at the same time, carry the puck and deliver a hit like Oshie does. Notice that Oshies stick is still firmly in his hands....also notice where the Russians stick is. :lol:

That's a picture that could have been taken in every game Oshie has played in since he was a sophomore at Warroad. I've never seen a kid who can, at the same time, carry the puck and deliver a hit like Oshie does. Notice that Oshies stick is still firmly in his hands....also notice where the Russians stick is. :lol:

Are any of you getting nervous about Oshie returning to the Sioux next year?

Of all the great freshmen in the league he seems like he might be the most ready.