SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney...oshie, lee, chorney, toews

AZSIOUX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any of you getting nervous about Oshie returning to the Sioux next year?

Of all the great freshmen in the league he seems like he might be the most ready.

I have already accepted revising his Sioux career down from three years to two. I'm not ready for it be just one.

Are any of you getting nervous about Oshie returning to the Sioux next year?

Of all the great freshmen in the league he seems like he might be the most ready.

We're hoping St. Louis is not ready to pay him to step up to the AHL, or possibly the NHL club. Depending on who drafts the undrafted players, there may be several more freshmen gone after this season (and not just the Sioux freshmen).

Certainly Parise's performance at the 04 WJC sealed his fate, he was gone to NJ after the season. Based on what I saw in the US/Russia game and from comments and online articles, I'd be afraid E. Johnson may go straight to the pros. He looks ready for at least the AHL.

....what I saw in the US/Russia game and from comments and online articles, I'd be afraid E. Johnson may go straight to the pros. He looks ready for at least the AHL.

Yep. I'll be happy if EJ plays a year for the Gophs. Especially if goes in top two picks.

I have already accepted revising his Sioux career down from three years to two. I'm not ready for it be just one.

While he is definitely a great freshman, and one of the hardest workers in the league, I don't see him going from high school to college to the NHL (or AHL) all in 3 years time.

He may leave after next season if he keeps progressing like he has, but more than likely not after this season.

While he is definitely a great freshman, and one of the hardest workers in the league, I don't see him going from high school to college to the NHL (or AHL) all in 3 years time.

He may leave after next season if he keeps progressing like he has, but more than likely not after this season.

I was just discussing this with a friend and he brought up a good point. St. Louis is a terrible team, hopefully they will spend their money going after veteran free agents, and let their draft picks progress through the current systems they are in. I hope he stays for two, three looks very unlikely.

I was just discussing this with a friend and he brought up a good point. St. Louis is a terrible team, hopefully they will spend their money going after veteran free agents, and let their draft picks progress through the current systems they are in. I hope he stays for two, three looks very unlikely.

You are right about two things:

1. St. Louis is a terrible team this year.

2. They will try to remedy this through the free agent and trade markets during the off season.

The one thing you omit?

St. Louis doesn't put a lot of faith in players that go the college route (This has been alterred from the last post. I will also add that they did find enough interest to draft TJ in the first round and refute Canuck's pending claim that there is some sort of conspiracy against collegiate players in the NHL or St. Louis for that matter. St. Louis, historically, has seemed to prefer Major Junior players). This will work in Oshie's favor... maybe. They could simply forget about him and let him progress... or they could trade him and then we have to deal with what that team wishes.

Ok, I should have stated that I am NOT a fan of St. Louis... :lol:

I really like our crew to the WJCs but it appears as though Oshie was right. Too few came with the willingness to play a role outside of what they feel they are. They weren't teammates at all and they are taking the reward of such an attitude with them home. Or do they not get a participation ribbon/certificate? I know this is a harsh generalization, but a team that doesn't play like a team still ends up losing as a team. Some players played as hard as they could. Some may have even tried to play the role the Coach asked of them, but those who did not let the rest of them down. I also think that this was Kyle's shortcoming as a coach. I hate to beat a dead horse here, but Herb Brooks did mainly two things with the 1980 Olympic team: 1. Selected the best players that would fit together in a team mold and 2. Taught them to play like a team. He didn't teach the sport of hockey. Those players knew how to play. He didn't teach fancy play either. He didn't teach a difficult system. The only system he taught seemed to be conditioning related and teamwork related. Gosh, look at his results. Maybe that's what Kyle failed in if he tried to do that at all? So yeah, in this case, the players failed to play like a team and Kyle failed to coach the team in a way that promotes teamwork. This team was a DEEP team in which players who made the team before were sent home (Pineault the most notable example). I think the results speak for themselves on this one.

They should feel ashamed because, in the scope of a medalled tournament, Team USA ends the tourney on the same level as Norway: No medals and meaningless (if any at all in the case of Norway) victories along the way. They got NOTHING.

I feel bad for Oshie who tried his damndest to win as well as Lee and Chorney who tried their damndest to play good D and all they got out of it was nothing. Oshie got injured out of the deal as well. Good work.

This Team USA fan was optimistic to start out but now... this is shameful.

You are right about two things:

1. St. Louis is a terrible team this year.

2. They will try to remedy this through the free agent and trade markets during the off season.

The one thing you omit?

St. Louis is notorious for overlooking collegiate players. This will work in Oshie's favor... maybe. They could simply forget about him and let him progress... or they could trade him and then we have to deal with what that team wishes.

The fact that they drafted him in the first round knowing he was going to attend college would indicate that, in this case, they were not overlooking "collegiate" players.

I am sure the Blues are enjoying what they are seeing from him this season. . . . hopefully not so much though that they make a big push for him this offseason.

The fact that they drafted him in the first round knowing he was going to attend college would indicate that, in this case, they were not overlooking "collegiate" players.

I am sure the Blues are enjoying what they are seeing from him this season. . . . hopefully not so much though that they make a big push for him this offseason.

True enough. Editted accordingly.

I think the fact that David Backes is still around for his senior at Mankato is a promising sign for us with Oshie. I think he should easily be playing in the AHL this year if not in the NHL with the lack of talent in St. Louis.

But what better place to prepare you for losing than Mankato? :D