SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's DI review committee

The Sicatoka

Looks like there may be another school knocking on the door of the Mid-Continent conference: Oklahoma City University.

OCU starts study of feasibility (registration required)

Mid-Con schools like Oral Roberts and Centenary, needing closer rivals, may be lobbying hard for this school, which was formerly DI. There really is no other conference option for OCU, as the Southland Conference is "full" at 12 schools.

Oklahoma City University athletic director Jim Abbott said Monday that the university has begun a feasibility study to determine a possible jump from the NAIA to the NCAA.

OCU announced plans to conduct the study in late September.

Abbott said three members of a five-member consulting group will be on campus through Thursday to conduct interviews with various staff members and coaches.

The group, funded in part by the Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce in addition to the university, also met with Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett.

"This is the first step," Abbott said. "They're getting a feel for where we are as a university. Then they'll compare that information with what it might take to compete at the NCAA Division I level."

Representing the consulting group this week on campus are former Houston athletic director Bill Carr, former Cincinnati athletic director Gerald O'Dell and former Kansas senior associate athletic director Richard Konzem.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are also quite a few other schools in the southern plains (independents) that would be interested in the Mid-Con.
Other than UT-Pan American, what other southern schools are possible? Tarleton State and/or Central Oklahoma? Sunbelt schools like UA-LR, USA and U-New Orleans would not make the jump. (Although UNO may have severe financial difficulty no matter what they do.)

Finally found evidence in print that Wayne State (Mich) is looking at DI.

Wayne State: $34.7 million stadium on horizon

Wayne State University is attempting to generate revenue for the construction of a $34.7 million arena.

The 7,000-seat arena, which is to be built at West Warren Avenue and the Lodge Service Drive, is part of an effort to move the university

Other than UT-Pan American, what other southern schools are possible? Tarleton State and/or Central Oklahoma? Sunbelt schools like UA-LR, USA and U-New Orleans would not make the jump. (Although UNO may have severe financial difficulty no matter what they do.)

My bad, it looks like the Southland (where UTPA would have like to have landed) added TAMU-CC, which would have been on my list.

With the Mid-Con already having a metro Detroit school (Oakland), doubt that Wayne St would be high on the Mid-Con's list until/if Oakland moved out.

Why? (other than the market thing with for Oakland doesn't matter.

It would make a nice partner (if the Mid-Con ever went to partners) and fits within the conference footprint. Wayne is also easy to reach via DTW.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fargo Forum, August 27, 2004, Mike McFeely's column:

"What we really need is 4,000 more seats at the Alerus Center. That would put us over the 15,000-seat mark, which is the threshold for Division I-A (for football)," (Phil) Harmeson said. "If you're going to make a move, maybe you want to make a big move. Why not really move up to Division I football?"

And an indoor training facility, especially in this climate, is a need.

The Fargo Forum, August 27, 2004, Mike McFeely's column:

And an indoor training facility, especially in this climate, is a need.

I remember reading this, but I thought it was a "throw away" statement. The indoor training facility I agree is a must. Star2City,among others, has mentioned that a number of times.

I just mentioned yesterday that I like where the soccer field is at and think that it could be a nice facility with a little work. If you added a permanent scoreboard, a permanent building with restrooms/concessions, and maybe a brick or iron fence surrounding the field, it could become a nice facility. However, the administration may see the future of the soccer program playing in a renovated Memorial Stadium, a new indoor practice facility, or maybe even the Alerus. I guess it would make just as much sence to invest the money into existing facilities that could be used by multiple sports. I personally think that Memorial Stadium could become a very nice soccer facility.

Also, I wonder what Buning's plans for as far as the swimming & diving facilities. I know that the new wellness center has plans on adding a pool in the future and at one point Buning had mentioned the idea of the new pool being able to house the S&D programs. It would be an ideal location next to all of our other new sports facilities.

I just mentioned yesterday that I like where the soccer field is at and think that it could be a nice facility with a little work. If you added a permanent scoreboard, a permanent building with restrooms/concessions, and maybe a brick or iron fence surrounding the field, it could become a nice facility. However, the administration may see the future of the soccer program playing in a renovated Memorial Stadium, a new indoor practice facility, or maybe even the Alerus. I guess it would make just as much sence to invest the money into existing facilities that could be used by multiple sports. I personally think that Memorial Stadium could become a very nice soccer facility.

Also, I wonder what Buning's plans for as far as the swimming & diving facilities. I know that the new wellness center has plans on adding a pool in the future and at one point Buning had mentioned the idea of the new pool being able to house the S&D programs. It would be an ideal location next to all of our other new sports facilities.

I'm with you on keeping the soccer field where it is at. Upgrades would be minimal and the location is ideal. I've always thought that a scoreboard and the type of white fence that is near the southwest corner of the betty would go along ways for a soccer facility. Add a walkway and some concrete for the bleachers to sit on and I think that you have a pretty good facility. It would also give the administration the ability to charge admission, which could help the budget a bit. After all they draw near the same as W Hockey.

I would guess that most DI soccer programs don't use a shared facility. I wonder if the idea of putting a bubble over Memorial (like St Cloud does) has been explored this could kill the indoor practice needs.

I don't know about anyone else but it will be interesting to see what the next 6 to 12 months bring!

$35 Million for new facilities.

Possibly adding seats at the Alerus. What is the thought, going I-A?

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/13870854.htm

Why is $35 million being thrown out as the capital campaign goal when the study to determine long-term facility needs supposedly hasn't been completed yet? Why $35 million, rather than $10 mill or $20 mill? Is a major gift coming to UND that just happens to $35 MM?

He said UND officials already have chatted with Alerus managers and architects about possible ways to add more seats, whether it be in the form of additional suites, an enclosed horse-shoe configuration at football games, or an expansion of the current facility.

Could this be the thinking? To the south end of the Alerus add a practice facility that could also have movable/retractable seating so the Alerus capacity is effectively 17,000 seats in a horseshoe configuration? This would allow UND to have the option of going to IA football in the future.

Do you seriously believe that UND could attract the average requirement of 15,000 per game to participate in DI-A football?

Certainly not in the near future. But the key issue is that the NCAA would allow UND to compete at the DIA football level only if it had a stadium capacity of > 15,000. It has been waiving the 15,000 average attendance requirement for a number of WAC, MAC, and Sun Belt IA schools.

Personally, I think there are two key underlying issues: (1) the Big Sky wants members (and future member) schools to have the capability of becoming a DIA school (which means they must eventually meet a 15,000 seat requirement), and (2) NDSU theoretically can go DIA right now, if a conference would accept them, because of the seating capacity of the FargoDome. It is in NDSU's interest to separate itself as much as possible from UND so it can proclaim its athletic "superiority". There are doomsday conference realignment scenarios that would force the WAC, out of desperation for its own survival, to offer NDSU conference membership. UND would want to be a candidate (in addition to or instead of) if that scenario ever played itself out.

A couple of thoughts:

The Dome might be able to hold 18,000, but the Bison going 2-9 against DIA competition isn't going to fill it up. (it's not the number of seats in the stadium). Of course, the NCAA would probably allow the attendence at a NDSU/Minnesota football game at the Metrodome be counted as home numbers as they do for Idaho (Wazzu).

IMO, the only reason NDSU should EVER think about going DI-A is if they continue to have problems finding a conference.

Though there are always murmurs, I don't think the Big Sky has any inclination of going DI-A (right now). The only school that one might expect to see moderate success if Montana, maybe Montana State. Other schools may dream about it, but are currently in no position to do so. Ten years from now- maybe, today- no way.

Good luck on the capital campaign (if/when it starts).

Why is $35 million being thrown out as the capital campaign goal when the study to determine long-term facility needs supposedly hasn't been completed yet? Why $35 million, rather than $10 mill or $20 mill? Is a major gift coming to UND that just happens to $35 MM?

Why not $50 Million? Can you have to much money? They probably will see how much they can get from this campaign and then see what they can do with it, cause I saw nothing specific they wanted to do. In reality, I don't see them expanding the Alerus anytime in the future (20 years). Basketball and hockey don't need any money, except maybe a center scoreboard in the Betty (or expansion talks like the Alerus :lol::huh: or at least bigger end bleachers). The only thing I can think of is the practice facility, which I would guess the majority would go towards.

The only thing I can think of is the practice facility, which I would guess the majority would go towards.

I'd go with this:

1. Indoor training facility: I know soccer folks don't want to hear it, wanting to be outside, but I think it should be soccer game capable. The current field could be for practices.

2. The Betty: scoreboards, suites?, bigger court-end seating systems.

3. The Al: more suites? south-end seating?

4. A pool at the Wellness Center (so athletics could move out of Hyslop entirely and that land could be used for academics)

5. Mods to old REA to maybe use that as "extra space" beside an indoor facility.

I'd go with this:

1. Indoor training facility: I know soccer folks don't want to hear it, wanting to be outside, but I think it should be soccer game capable. The current field could be for practices.

4. A pool at the Wellness Center (so athletics could move out of Hyslop entirely and that land could be used for academics)

5. Mods to old REA to maybe use that as "extra space" beside an indoor facility.

I think that one of the issues with soccer indoors is that it eliminates the chance to host regionals. This may not be an issue if the DI move is made :lol:

I find it a bit interesting how adding seats to the Alerus is specifically mentioned. For sake of purely aestetics it would be nice to have seating on the ends of the field, but it doesn't seem like big need right now looking at our current attendance. Although I wouldn't mind having a bigger house for us to grow into. Seems like practice facilities, soccer, and swimming/diving need upgrades more than football. Perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes? :lol:

I find it a bit interesting how adding seats to the Alerus is specifically mentioned. For sake of purely aestetics it would be nice to have seating on the ends of the field, but it doesn't seem like big need right now looking at our current attendance. Although I wouldn't mind having a bigger house for us to grow into. Seems like practice facilities, soccer, and swimming/diving need upgrades more than football. Perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes? :lol:

I can guess why he mentioned a horseshoe configuration, instead of a bowl shape seating.

I'd go with this:

I would add this between either 1-2 or 2-3:

Memorial Stadium remodel. This would include a new track surface. The Grandstand would be remodeled with new/expanded weightrooms, coaches offices, etc. The field would be replaced with fieldturf to allow it to be the new home of women's soccer. (the indoor practice facility would still have the same turf as the Alerus, this would allow the choice to practice on astroturf, fieldturf, or natural grass)

I don't think 5 would even come into play as I see that being torn down to make room for the indoor track/practice facility.

I would add this between either 1-2 or 2-3:

Memorial Stadium remodel. This would include a new track surface. The Grandstand would be remodeled with new/expanded weightrooms, coaches offices, etc. The field would be replaced with fieldturf to allow it to be the new home of women's soccer. (the indoor practice facility would still have the same turf as the Alerus, this would allow the choice to practice on astroturf, fieldturf, or natural grass)

I think my vision of my "1" and your "Memorial Stadium remodel" are pretty much more same than different. My ITF would cover Memorial with the west wall of the building being a remodeled west grandstand (and that would provide some seating in the ITF). I'd like an ITF to be game capable for soccer and some day maybe lacrosse. (I'm not a track guy; I leave that to you. :lol: )

sokarcrazy: The issue isn't "indoors", it's surface. You must play soccer on real grass or FieldTurf, not Magic Carpet like The Al currently has. FieldTurf in an ITF would work as a host site.

I can guess why he mentioned a horseshoe configuration, instead of a bowl shape seating.

Because "bowl" shaped seating wouldn't work because of the existing pylons that hold up the roof? What am I missing in what you are saying?

I'm surprised they said "horse-shoe". I would think "3-sided" would be more accurate.

I'm no architect, but I could maybe see seating and suites put on the south end (build to south into parking lot) and maybe suites on the north end.

Another musing: If you put a south grandstand on the facility would you then put down the BB court at that end and have it running E-W? Could you put the current mobile portion of the west grandstand on the north side of the court in that configuration (does that big sucker turn)?

Because "bowl" shaped seating wouldn't work because of the existing pylons that hold up the roof? What am I missing in what you are saying?

I'm surprised they said "horse-shoe". I would think "3-sided" would be more accurate.

I was thinking because it would be hard to tear down the north end wall when you are going to have an attached hotel there. Hence 3 sided. :lol:

Edit: There could be room in the north where the trucks enter the arena.

3553.jpeg