SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's DI review committee

The Sicatoka

Would the MIAA consider adding 3 schools?

Missouri-Rolla bailed out on them recently leaving them at 9.

The nice numbers for scheduling are 10 or 12.

There's the philosophy; would they add three is a question only they have the answer to.

Adding 1 to get back to 10 seems like an easy one to answer, and UNO has made MIAA noises in the past.

The question that the MIAA would have to consider is do they want to go to 12 and have Augie and USD as a travel pair (if Augie and USD were interested)?

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missouri-Rolla bailed out on them recently leaving them at 9.

The nice numbers for scheduling are 10 or 12.

There's the philosophy; would they add three is a question only they have the answer to.

Adding 1 to get back to 10 seems like an easy one to answer, and UNO has made MIAA noises in the past.

The question that the MIAA would have to consider is do they want to go to 12 and have Augie and USD as a travel pair (if Augie and USD were interested)?

Fort Hays State to MIAA

With Ft Hays St joining the MIAA, that conference should be back at 10. Either a combo of UNO/UNK or UNO/USD would likely be very tempting if the MIAA moved to 12.

I don't think that USD would try to gain membership in the MIAA. They were one of the four the schools that voted in favor of a DI NCC. I tend to believe that their preference would be to stay with the state-named schools, which means they'll follow whatever UND does. If UND, SCSU, and UNO did end up leaving the NCC for either a different division or conference, and USD decided not to move to DI, I think they'd stand pat in the NCC/NSIC, as they would become the dominant program. I also think it is unlikely that Augustana would pursue MIAA membership. If UND, SCSU, USD, and UNO were out of the picture, they could become a force in a league made up of the NCC and NSIC teams. I think Auggie would fit very nicely into the current NSIC.

I don't think that USD would try to gain membership in the MIAA. They were one of the four the schools that voted in favor of a DI NCC. I tend to believe that their preference would be to stay with the state-named schools, which means they'll follow whatever UND does. If UND, SCSU, and UNO did end up leaving the NCC for either a different division or conference, and USD decided not to move to DI, I think they'd stand pat in the NCC/NSIC, as they would become the dominant program. I also think it is unlikely that Augustana would pursue MIAA membership. If UND, SCSU, USD, and UNO were out of the picture, they could become a force in a league made up of the NCC and NSIC teams. I think Auggie would fit very nicely into the current NSIC.

IMO, UND would not be going to the trouble of having a public DI committee review the merits of DI vs DII if something serious was not already brewing in the background. UND is the school most vulnerable geographically - it can't afford to let the NCC die unless it is the first to jump ship. UND has already seriously studied the details of a DI for a number of years. A conference affiliation and money have always held UND back. At least one of those is no longer an issue.

USD may not have a choice but be separated from state-named schools: they have the most limiting facilities, the lowest funding, the least enrollment, and reside in a "city" that is barely more than USD. For USD, a DI NCC might have been one of the few conceivable manners in which they could make DI a go without a major sugar daddy.

If UND announces a DI move this summer, there will be at least one "classmate." Today, Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) announced that they will be moving to DI:

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...S/60117007/1075

They don't have an official conference invite, but the Atlantic Sun will likely take them.

Other related stories:

UC-Davis finds Division I daring

Decision Day for FGCU

I agree that unfortunately baseball and softball will be the first casualties of a DI move. But if the Big Sky is the ultimate goal, I think golf and tennis will remain.

Does UND Going Div 1.... Help NDSU Chances for Big Sky?....I have been told many time by several People From the Big Sky, Mostly AD's that the Big Sky has absolutley not intention for future expansion any farther east Then UNC....?

A few items to refute or add on.

UNO would likely join the MIAA if the NCC falls apart. At a little later date they perhaps (with the Board of Regents approval) look towards DivIAA football (and DI everything else). UNO has been courted several times by the MIAA.

Auggie has flirted with the idea of going DIII if costs continue to escalate.

Mankato is interested in DIAA, but the major indication would be if the NCC goes. The same is true for SCSU.

UMD just got here, no clue on their Chancellors thoughts. Other than her trying to stay out of trouble with hockey behavior toward the visiting teams...

USD stuggles financially as it is, however renewing a rivalry with SDSU would be a good thing for the pocketbook, so DIAA is an option.

The UND/NDSU option is appealing to about half of the big sky schools. The fear is that the league would split east/west which destroys the main rivalries (and revenue) for the schools out west. They need the Montana rivalry to fill the coffers.

Phil Harmeson talks a good game but in reality has made more enemies than friends in the Big Sky conference. His law degree, while impressive, doesn't compensate for his demeaner when dealing with others outside UND (and some within).

Just my thoughts. Did I come close?

The UND/NDSU option is appealing to about half of the big sky schools. The fear is that the league would split east/west which destroys the main rivalries (and revenue) for the schools out west. They need the Montana rivalry to fill the coffers.

That is why the key to the 12 team 2 division Big Sky is to put Montana in the western division and Montana St in the eastern division. Then assign them as permanent rivals, so that they play every year, which is what the SEC does with Auburn and Georgia. That keeps Montana fans happy, keeps the western schools (by keeping Montana on the schedule). The eastern schools would still get Montana St. every year, and Montana every 2 or 3 years. Also, if the Big Sky ever decided to play a championship game, this would make it possible for Montana and Montana St. to meet in the title game.

WEST DIVSION

Montana

Idaho St

Eastern Washington

Portland ST

Sacramento St

Northern Arizona

EAST DIVISION

Montana St

Weber St

Northern Colorado

SDSU

NDSU

UND

Once again from what I hear from the Ad's at Sac St., N.Az., MSU, that the Presidents have declared they have NO INTENTIONS for future expansion east of UNC....? Costs of travel being main reason...They have plenty of schools to chose from out West if Expansion is warranted.....?

Once again from what I hear from the Ad's at Sac St., N.Az., MSU, that the Presidents have declared they have NO INTENTIONS for future expansion east of UNC....? Costs of travel being main reason...They have plenty of schools to chose from out West if Expansion is warranted.....?

Other than Southern Utah, there are no other western teams ready for IAA football. (Cal Poly and UC-Davis do not want entrance into the BSC.) Western Washington and Central Washington may be capable of being BSC members sometime in the future, but not now.

Phil Harmeson talks a good game but in reality has made more enemies than friends in the Big Sky conference. His law degree, while impressive, doesn't compensate for his demeaner when dealing with others outside UND (and some within).

Just my thoughts. Did I come close?

Interesting post, sioux89. You confirm that Harmeson has indeed been talking with members of the Big Sky conference. Whether or not UND does indeed gain DI conference acceptance is largely dependent upon him, not Buning.

That is why the key to the 12 team 2 division Big Sky is to put Montana in the western division and Montana St in the eastern division. Then assign them as permanent rivals, so that they play every year, which is what the SEC does with Auburn and Georgia. That keeps Montana fans happy, keeps the western schools (by keeping Montana on the schedule). The eastern schools would still get Montana St. every year, and Montana every 2 or 3 years. Also, if the Big Sky ever decided to play a championship game, this would make it possible for Montana and Montana St. to meet in the title game.

WEST DIVSION

Montana

Idaho St

Eastern Washington

Portland ST

Sacramento St

Northern Arizona

EAST DIVISION

Montana St

Weber St

Northern Colorado

SDSU

NDSU

UND

With that arrangment, there are a number of very awkward travel partners. If the Montana schools have to split up, this scenario makes more sense:

West

Montana - EWash

Portland St- Sac St

Weber St - N Ariz

East

UND-NDSU

SDSU-UNC

Mont St - Idaho St

For any expansion to happen toward the east, the U of Montana has to force the issue with a near ultimatum: either get more Dakota flagships schools in the conference to enhance our rivalries - otherwise, adios, we'll go DIA football and join the WAC. If Montana left, Montana St would almost be forced into a quick stadium expansion and follow. Port St, N Ariz, and Sac St. would then flee a disintegrating Big Sky to join the Big West and play football in the Great West with Davis and Poly and SUU. Those three could all move if UND, NDSU, and SDSU get added or if Montana moves to IA.

Net Effect:

New Big Sky

Montana

Montana St

E Wash

Weber St

Idaho St

UNC

UND

NDSU

SDSU

USD (later)

New Great West

Sac St

Davis

Poly

SUU

N Ariz

Portland St

Western Wash (later)

They need the Montana rivalry to fill the coffers.

The key isn't Montana/Montana St., the key is Montana/[insert Big Sky Conference Member other than Montana Here].

Montana is the biggest name in DIAA, I don't see a case where folks would like to stop having the Griz visit them every other year.

Interesting post, sioux89. You confirm that Harmeson has indeed been talking with members of the Big Sky conference. Whether or not UND does indeed gain DI conference acceptance is largely dependent upon him, not Buning.

It's entirely dependent on the President's desire to expand eastward.

UND's athletic program speaks for itself.

It's entirely dependent on the President's desire to expand eastward.

UND's athletic program speaks for itself.

This big sky issue has a small part with MSU, the key is Montana. The league is not just based on football. Montana brings the big fans for all the schools. Contrary to belief, some of the schools listed as against the league expansion are not excatly true. NAU & Sac are not against the move with the dakotas, others are, as I stated earlier.

There are many aspects of the NCC that the BS likes but can't necessarily pass due to league legislative procedures.

There is no doubt that the addition of NDSU and UND have much to offer in regards to national recognition and television time, which is the reality of bringing in revenue.

That being said, the institutional votes are cast by the president or chancellors not the AD's. So, the whole process is bogged down at that point.

And, once again, I will state clearly for the record that Philly has distrubted that opportunity more than you can imagine. Even NDSU would be better off without him at this point. If you don't believe it just ask.

Finally, the Big Sky will not disolve because of FB. It is a feather in their hat, but at the DIAA level, basketball brings in the money with the revenue sharing and for that reason alone FB will not cause the league to break apart.

Once again, just my thoughts.... ???

QUOTE(sioux89 @ Jan 20 2006, 01:49 AM)

WEST DIVSION

Montana

Idaho St

Eastern Washington

Portland ST

Sacramento St

Northern Arizona

EAST DIVISION

Montana St

Weber St

Northern Colorado

SDSU

NDSU

UND

The only major issue with this proposal, which I must admit is good, is that Weber won't go for it. As I said earlier, legistlative league procedure make it ALMOST impossible. That being said, where is Southern Utah?

In a round-about way, NDSU's win over Wisconsin in basketball could have a substantial effect on UND's future and the Division classification issue. Obviously I understand that this is only one game but it could have an impact on how NDSU athletics are perceived by the conferences in which NDSU has been trying to gain membership in.

Big Sky commissioner Doug Fullerton recently has stated that he is unhappy with the RPI of the Big Sky members. With this win, NDSU's RPI is now higher than all but two Big Sky schools, and higher than all but one Mid-Con school. Does that make NDSU more attractive to these conferences? I don't know.