SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's DI review committee

The Sicatoka

I was thinking because it would be hard to tear down the north end wall when you are going to have an attached hotel there. Hence 3 sided. :huh:

Edit: There could be room in the north where the trucks enter the arena.

Agreed about the north wall, but isn't the hotel going on the north end of the ballroom (furthest north end of the ballroom building)?

What is behind the east part of that north wall of the arena (that little bump that isn't white-roof-arena or the long rectangle ballroom) is the kitchen facilities for the Aurora Ballroom. That's expensive stuff to consider ripping up.

Let's go "way-crazy" out there: Could you take off the west grandstands and rebuild them say "double-deck" with a suite level? Now that'd take some bling. ;):lol:

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's go "way-crazy" out there: Could you take off the west grandstands and rebuild them say "double-deck" with a suite level? Now that'd take some bling. :huh::lol:

I don't know the support columns of the Alerus inside and out but just from what I've seen, I don't think it would actually be that extremely difficult to build a suite level on the west side. It may end up overhanging the west stands some but I don't think it would be too difficult.

What if they put 8-10 rows of seating running along both cat-walks? I know alot of people like to stand up there and watch the game from that view. But if you could put people 8-10 deep along the entire distance, it could add a good chunk of seats rather cheaply. Or if they are worried about blocking the cat-walks, it would be just as easy to put end seating similar to that in the Sioux Center running along the back of the endzone. They wouldn't be huge but would still add a nice chunk of seating behind each endzone. I am sure those would go rather easily.

• 3 weeks later...

UND poised for move up in key areas

"UND already is well positioned in critical areas for a move to Division I sports, a school task force said Wednesday night."

"The task force alluded to difficulties that other schools in the region have had on an independent schedule or in a new conference."

"But getting into a conference is harder than it might seem, said Don Kojich, a former sports information director and now head of UND University Relations."

UND: D-I dollars

"Alice Brekke, school budget director, led off by laying out some current financial realities plaguing the athletic department. She said that, in fiscal year 2005, the school had to subsidize athletics with $250,000 to overcome a shortfall."

"He said when North Dakota State in Fargo was mulling a move to Division I, that school said it, too, would fill its sports rosters with athletes from far-flung states. However, in nine instances where UND and NDSU soon competed head to head for regional recruits, NDSU got every one of them.

"The school that had to go away to get athletes was us," Bollinger said."

I can hear the bellaring already...

"Phil Harmeson, senior associate to the UND president, cautioned other task force members not to get locked into a mindset that UND's Athletic Department has to be bigger. He said some schools actually are looking at cutting sports to make ends meet.

"Everything has to be on the table," Harmeson said."

Who gets cut?

"Bollinger said that, as the study moves forward, it would be valuable to get data on changes in alumni giving from schools in the region that already have jumped to Division I, such as NDSU, University of Northern Colorado and South Dakota State.

"I'd like to know: Has their giving increased for athletics after a move up?" Bollinger said."

Any TeamMakers want to comment?

Any TeamMakers want to comment?

I'm not a TeamMaker but I think contributions to that organization has nearly doubled. Also, there is a considerable amount of donations that don't go through TeamMakers. It would probably be a little harder to get accurate numbers on how those contributions have changed.

I'm not a TeamMaker but I think contributions to that organization has nearly doubled. Also, there is a considerable amount of donations that don't go through TeamMakers. It would probably be a little harder to get accurate numbers on how those contributions have changed.

It will have more than doubled this year and there is more room for growth. The goal this year is 1.5 Million. The thing UND people have to ask themselves is there room for growth in their situation. I know they did a great job in increasing the hockey funding, but are UND fans topped out? With hockey already playing a lot of big 10 teams, would there be interest in adding bb and fb?

It will have more than doubled this year and there is more room for growth. The goal this year is 1.5 Million.

That's all well and good, but that's only the revenues side of the ledger.

"How much have expenses gone up?" is the question that needs to be answered also.

From the Executive Summary to "EMPIRICAL EFFECTS OF DIVISION II INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS" by Orszag and Orszag, June 2005 (a study commissioned by the NCAA):

Effects of moving from Division II to Division I

- In our dataset, the schools switching divisions for all sports experienced an average real increase in spending of $3.7 million. Their revenue, by contrast, increased by an average of only $2.5 million - even including changes in institutional support, state government support, and student fees dedicated to athletics. As a result, the schools experienced an average deterioration in net operating revenue associated with intercollegiate athletics of more than $1 million. Furthermore, institutional support to athletics among these schools increased by an average of almost $2 million, implying that the net operating results excluding institutional support deteriorated by an average of more than $3 million. Student fees and state support also increased following a move to Division I. Excluding these increases further exacerbates the financial impact of switching on net operating revenue.

- Every school for which we have data experienced a decline in net operating revenue excluding institutional support, state support, and student activity fees when moving from Division II to Division I. The median decline was almost $2 million and 90 percent of schools switching experienced a reduction of more than $740,000.

I'd really like to see the actuals (revenues and expenses) at the 'SUs to make the best rational comparison of the bottom lines.

• 1 month later...
That's all well and good, but that's only the revenues side of the ledger.

"How much have expenses gone up?" is the question that needs to be answered also.

If you're worried about resources being taken away from the hockey team, why not drop to DIII for the rest of the sports like Colorado College?

If you're worried about resources being taken away from the hockey team, why not drop to DIII for the rest of the sports like Colorado College?

Is that what I said? No, that's not what I said. :lol:

I want to see how other folks are doing (or not doing) it and learn from that.

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean it.

You should please answer this as honestly as you can, though:

Do you believe that there are UND fans who want all possible resources to go to the hockey team at whatever cost (football, basketball, whatever)?

Do you believe that there are UND fans who want all possible resources to go to the hockey team at whatever cost (football, basketball, whatever)?

Yes, and proportionally I'd say they are equal to the number that believe the same in Gopher or Badger fan bases.

(By the way, the words I'm most keying on in your question are "at whatever cost".)

So there are UND fans out there that say "hockey is the best, who cares about the rest" that would view the move to DI as taking resources away from hockey and would thus fight the move?

I'm confused. UNH, Maine, etc appear to be able to support hockey, field competitive football, basketball, and other sports (including baseball, seen them in the CWS a couple of times). So what, if anything do these schools have that UND is missing?

Other schools, Presbyterian College, and Campbell University are moving up and with football. I live down by Fl Gulf Coast Univ. We NEVER see this athletic program reported even here. Why is a strong, hi attendance, good funding university even considering that remaining D-II is the place to stay?

Time to MOVE forward is now! Can deal with the name change, or sue NCAA, address the transition issues. If Big Sky aren't available during transition, join the United _____ Conferences so have games/Matches, and return to playing your peer schools. The heart of NCC that was champions was four schools, UNI, UND, NDSU & SDSU. Three of these are D-1.

So there are UND fans out there that say "hockey is the best, who cares about the rest" that would view the move to DI as taking resources away from hockey and would thus fight the move?

Sure. Just like Ruley and Bucky publicly expressed their anxiety about the move at the school south of Grand Forks.

UNH, Maine, etc appear to be able to support hockey, field competitive football, basketball, and other sports (including baseball, seen them in the CWS a couple of times). So what, if anything do these schools have that UND is missing?

one is geography, two is money.

Maine, New Hampshire, and UND are all the "University of ____" flagship schools in their respective states. Obviously ME and NH don't have a "_____ State University" co flagship to deal with like UND does with NDSU.

But that shouldn't matter.

Maine has:

Football

Baseball

Softball

MW Basketball

MW X Country

MW Track

MW Soccer

MW Ice Hockey

MW Swimming

Field Hockey

Volleyball

19 sports

New Hampshire has:

Football

MW Basketball

MW X Country

MW Track

MW Soccer

MW Ice Hockey

W Swimming (M Swimming is cut in 2006)

Field Hockey

Volleyball

MW Skiing

(MW Tennis is cut in 2006)

(W Rowing is cut in 2006)

18 sports

UND has:

Football

Baseball

Softball

MW Basketball

MW X Country

MW Track

W Soccer

MW Ice Hockey

MW Swimming

Volleyball

MW Golf

W Tennis

20 sports

Roughly the same.

Why would money be a problem?

I'm confused. UNH, Maine, etc appear to be able to support hockey, field competitive football, basketball, and other sports (including baseball, seen them in the CWS a couple of times). So what, if anything do these schools have that UND is missing?

Maine gets nearly $6.945 MM of a $13.4 MM budget from direct institutional support.

New Hampshire's $20.272 MM budget gets $6.56 MM from direct institutional support and another $6.913 MM from student fees.

Why would money be a problem?

Travel and conference.

How many DI schools within 500 miles of Orono or Durham?

How many conference footprints overlap into the same region?

Now ask those about UND/Grand Forks.

You're saying that UND wouldn't be able to obtain the same with about the same or more enrollment and the support of the state of ND?

I'm saying I want to see how others in the region are doing it.

UNH is slamming students with six times the student fees for athletics that UND is. I'm thinking that's a non-starter.

UNH and Maine both have $6+ MM in institutional funds for athletics. Find that in UND's overall budget ... please. :lol:

How can ME and NH afford to allocate 6 million in institutional funds and UND can't?

The legislatures allocate those funds, not the institutions. :lol:

Look at it this way. With the REA budget of $6 Mill and a UND athletic budget of $10 million, a combined UND/REA needs to obtain revenue of $16 million to stay even. UND is already raising more than double the amount of any of the comparison schools from ticket sales/booster clubs/donations. That speaks volumes about the type of support UND already has and also raises the question of how much more can be loaded on the Sioux fans / alumni.

School . Budget . .Fees/St Support

UND/REA $16 mill - $3 mill = $13 million raised from community (ticket sales/booster clubs/donations/concessions etc)

UNH $20 milll - $13.5 mill = $ 6.5 mil raised from community

Maine $13.4 mil - $6.95 = $6.45 mill raised from community

NDSU $ 8 mil - $ 3 mill = $ 5 mil raised from community

SDSU $ 5.5 mil - $ 2.5 mil = $ 3 mil raised from community