SiouxSports.com Forum

unh/sioux saturday

sprig

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good solid weekend for the sioux..sure a sweep would have been great but 1 win and a tie is not bad at all going out east and playing a solid oppenent....

i hate ties though, they suck...play 5 minutes then a shootout or something to prevent ties..

UNH just saluted the fans for a loss and a tie this weekend...interesting....

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I missed all but the last few minutes of the second period. So, there won't be many critiques about all but the first UND goal and the tying UNH goal in my pseudo-pseudo recap.

1. Penalties: The Radke penalty really really hurt us, but from what TH said, the puck took an unfortunate bounce and Radke had to play the player not the puck. An unfortunate penalty but really, I'm not going to say this was as bad as last night. Toooooo many 5x3s. We HAVE to stay better disciplined. It was 8 to 4 UNH in PP opportunities.

2. Defense: In the first and third we did really well to defend our net. Chorney is a defensive MONSTER. Lee did alright. Finley had a better game yesterday than today, but that's ok. He's young. Radke had one miscue but really held us in the game late in the third. Smaby was silently effective.

3. Forwards: 2 goals from Stafford today. Zajac had a good night and so did Oshie, Toews, and Duncan. We seem to be repeating ourselves all the time. Kaip, Prpich, and Porter were solid as well. Fabian and the fourth line (Foyt-Watkins-Kozek) just chugged right along. They are doing quietly well, though I'd love to see Kozek more. I love the fact that we are rushing the net. However, we had a LOT of trouble with passing tonight, especially with bouncing pucks. It seemed we had more trouble with that than UNH did.

4. Goaltending: See PCM's take as USCHO's reporter. ;)

5. Radio: I hate listening to the game on the radio. I wish I had webcast ;)

6. I'm adding my personal three stars of the game. I'm not going to be a homer and only take the Sioux for every series.

First Star: JPar (duh)

Second Star: Drew Stafford (3 Goal weekend.. any assists?)

Third Star: McFlickier and TJ Oshie. McFlickier was the only reason it was even close tonight and Oshie has really done what is needed to be done to get us off on the right foot every game.

EDIT: Ok, so I am a homer. :p

Edited by redwing77

Elsesite, UNH fans explained that they stick salute after every series, win, lose, or tie to thank the fans, the opponent, and all that stuff.  I don't claim to understand it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Traditions vary. Last week, some Maine fans were upset because the Denver team didn't shake hands after the first game of a two game series (Maine swept). Denver fans explained that it is the WCHA tradition for teams to shake hands only after the completion of a series.

Why in God's name did UNH give a stick salute?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always thought, and still think, that the stick salute is a pretty stupid gimmick all the way around.

This said, I have no problem with teams giving a stick salute to their fans after a game, win, lose, or draw.

Many times, teams can, and will, play their hearts out and not get a win.

Many times, if not most, good fans will stick with their team through thick and thin.

Stick salutes, if the gimmick is to become a tradition for a team, should be given at the end of a home weekend series, regardless of outcome. However, because many college hockey players have been known to pout after a tough loss, or even a thorough beating, and because some teams expect to near always sweep at home, I doubt that we will ever see a regular stick salute at The Ralph regardless of outcome.

This should not cause us to question, or belittle, the fine college hockey traditions that may be engrained elsewhere. Like the big fish on the ice at UNH, for example. No reason why The Ralph cannot part with one live chicken per game, is there?

In my opinion, the only college hockey cheers, or traditions, that should be mocked are the many really stupid things that one sees and hears at The John.

I always thought, and still think, that the stick salute is a pretty stupid gimmick all the way around.

This said, I have no problem with teams giving a stick salute to their fans after a game, win, lose, or draw.

Many times, teams can, and will, play their hearts out and not get a win.

Many times, if not most, good fans will stick with their team through thick and thin.

Stick salutes, if the gimmick is to become a tradition for a team, should be given at the end of a home weekend series, regardless of outcome. However, because many college hockey players have been known to pout after a tough loss, or even a thorough beating, and because some teams expect to near always sweep at home, I doubt that we will ever see a regular stick salute at The Ralph regardless of outcome.

This should not cause us to question, or belittle, the fine college hockey traditions that may be engrained elsewhere. Like the big fish on the ice at UNH, for example. No reason why The Ralph cannot part with one live chicken per game, is there?

In my opinion, the only college hockey cheers, or traditions, that should be mocked are the many really stupid things that one sees and hears at The John.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was not making fun of UNH's tradition. I was just mystified why a team would give a stick salute after getting 1 of 4 points on the weekend...I have never seen that before. If it is their tradition, now I understand. I always saw it as an "earned right" though.

Due to unfortunate circumstances, I missed all but the last few minutes of the second period. So, there won't be many critiques about all but the first UND goal and the tying UNH goal in my pseudo-pseudo recap.

Don't want to be a jerk or anything, but isn't this essentially Tim Hennessey's critique? If you only listened to this on the radio, these views are what Tim Hennesey saw. While Hennesey has a great reputation of giving everyone a feel for the actual game, he sometimes has differing viewpoints from the coaches on what happened out on the ice as far as player performances. I know that I tend to tell my friends what happened based on the radio feed, so maybe it is just essentially a recap, not a critique.

I was not making fun of UNH's tradition. I was just mystified why a team would give a stick salute after getting 1 of 4 points on the weekend...I have never seen that before. If it is their tradition, now I understand. I always saw it as an "earned right" though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember watching the webcast at Michigan Tech two years ago and Tech gave a stick salute to their fans after getting swept and getting outscored 12-4 in the series as well as getting shutout the night they gave the salute. That was something to see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was the same series where the student section chanted overated at UND. ;)