SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional rankings

jimdahl

Looks like Nebraska Omaha is fighting for the last playoff spot as they come into the Al this week. Lets not let that happen ??? , Go Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like the win by Omaha really improved their chances. I see they are ranked #2 behind Grand Valley in this weeks regional poll. UND is #3. How does Omaha jump ahead of us with two losses. I heard this morning on Tim and Sywg someome say that UND had enough points built up that they should remain #1 in this weeks poll. Well, I never did understand these things.

Looks like the win by Omaha really improved their chances. I see they are ranked #2 behind Grand Valley in this weeks regional poll. UND is #3. How does Omaha jump ahead of us with two losses. I heard this morning on Tim and Sywg someome say that UND had enough points built up that they should remain #1 in this weeks poll. Well, I never did understand these things.

The big new criteria is opponents' win percentage (excluding games against you). UNO effectively just played a 1.000 team (our loss against them doesn't count), while UND played a .750 team (UNO's win over us doesn't count). That was enough for UNO to cross UND in opponents' win %, by my calculation. In that same calculation, I have UND with a slight edge over UNO in SSI.

Don't worry, though, it's just a quirk of the schedule order. We have yet to play USD, at .800, while UNO gets to play a nearly winless Mankato. Win or lose, that should push our opp% back above UNO's.

The big new criteria is opponents' win percentage (excluding games against you). UNO effectively just played 1.000 team (our loss against them doesn't count), while UND played a .750 team (UNO's win over us doesn't count). That was enough for UNO to cross UND in opponents' win %, by my calculation. UND still has a slight edge over UNO in SSI.

Don't worry, though, it's just a quirk of the schedule order. We have yet to play USD, at .7778, while UNO gets to play a nearly winless Mankato. Win or lose, that should push our opp% back above UNO's.

I hope that is the case.

I hope that is the case.

Errr... spoke to soon. The calculations in my head apparently weren't that great -- quick back of the envelope calculations tell me that our opp. win% will be nearly equal next week (UND would have an edge of only about .002, if the D2+ group includes the teams I think it does). UNO has the H2H tie-breaker and an advantage in the new last 4 comparison, while UND holds the common opponents edge.

I'm going to retreat to claim that UND really needs the road win over a top team to boost the QWI, which would create a nice gap between UND and UNO on that criterion.

Huuuaaa???? Hell, I thought there was a still a chance that UND still might have the number one spot yet. I sure wish Brandon would post the SSI numbers along with the rankings.

Well, it looks like the game this week against South Dakota just got pushed up another notch in relevance to importance with the new regional rankings. If they beat South Dakota on the road that should put them in front of UNO in the final regional poll, but who knows.

Question to the ranking experts:

If UND loses this weekend, could they miss the playoffs? ???

GVSU has jumped to #1 in the region followed by the MAVs of UNO. UND drops to 3rd, followed by SVSU, SCSU and Northwood. The good news for Northwood is there is currently no team in an "earned access" spot. C. Washington jumps to 7th, followed by UMD and USD. Ashland keeps there slim hopes alive. Winona St beat a poor Wayne St (Neb) team and dropped to 11th. CSP jumps to 12th and plays 11th Winona St this week for a possible spot in the 1 top 10 and an earned access spot.

Things will get interesting.

BTW: Why did UNO jump over UND in the rankings? Two reasons, head to head win over UND at UND and SOS. UNO is 7-2 with wins over SCSU, UNO, UCW, and SCSU. The win over NWMSU also could help if they win this weekend. That would mean they would have 5 wins over teams with a 0.700 winning percentage or better. That is big bonus points in the computer program the NCAA has come up with.

Also, In my computer model, UNO is ahead of GVSU despite the 2 losses to GVSU's none.

The reason, The GLIAC's bottom sucks this season. They have beat each other up so bad that it's hurting the top teams. The schedule doesn't help either. With Ashland not playing SVSU or NU it really hurts both Northwood and Ashland.

Not only did we get screwed on this deal with Omaha going ahead of us, but somehow Saginaw dropped and Winona too. Actually with Winona drops out of the playoffs because the earned access is only for teams within the top 10 in the region. However I think that after this week they will move up the one spot needed to get the earrned access. Overall the region rankings right now are very odd. I could see us dropping, but for Omaha to leap over us and Saginaw is ridiculous. The only thing that hurts us is losing late in the season. Voters look at that as a sign of weekness and will definitely hold that against us. But hey after we go down and kick USD we will have the number 2 seed and grab a bye and homefield for at least a game.

GO SIOUX!!

Another mystery of this week's poll is how Central Washington jumped up three spots to number seven. They have a win over an NAIA school, which is very costly to your quality win index, and although they do have a nice win over Washburn, their other six wins consist of five teams with below .500 records, plus the aforementioned NAIA team.

Another mystery of this week's poll is how Central Washington jumped up three spots to number seven. They have a win over an NAIA school, which is very costly to your quality win index, and although they do have a nice win over Washburn, their other six wins consist of five teams with below .500 records, plus the aforementioned NAIA team.

I was wondering this same thing myself. Just when someone thinks they have figured this out...................we have teams moving up and moving down all over the place..................BCS BCS BCS

After what happened on Saturday, I think our team would love to get another crack at Omaha (either at home or on the road). And I think the results would be different as well. But we have to get it done this Saturday or it probably won't happen.

One question I have is this: How can a team with Oklahoma Panhandle State on the schedule have a stronger strength of schedule than UND? I would think that just having one team like that on your schedule would cause major damage to your SSI. But I guess winning in Vermillion will solve a lot of these problems.

Quick question: The Sioux are going to be playing at the Alerus Center Nov 12 if they finish in the top 3 in the regional rankings?

If UND were to be seeded 3rd or 4th, they'd be playing at home on November 12. If seeded 1st or 2nd, they'd have a bye. If seeded 5th or 6th, they'd be on the road. I won't even address the one other possibility...

If UND were to be seeded 3rd or 4th, they'd be playing at home on November 12. If seeded 1st or 2nd, they'd have a bye. If seeded 5th or 6th, they'd be on the road. I won't even address the one other possibility...

I've run through all the playoff scenarios for the column this week and I've come to the conclusion that UND is a lock for the playoffs win or lose on Saturday. In fact, I can't see UND falling any further than the 4 seed with a loss. I think the 2 seed is the likely result with a win over USD.

It sucks that we dropped from the #1 spot and the possibility of returning to the #1 spot looks bleak. I wish we would've been #1 cause it would've been great to watch a UND vs. GVSU game at the Alerus again. Hopefully we beat USD and at least get the #2 seed.

So, its your chance for ya to do a "Roadtrip" and check out the friendly confines of Lubbers. Personally, I tend to like the roadtrips a little better. You only get the die-hard fans on the trip, and man, the stories you'll have and the memories you'll make in a vehical barreling down the highway at 85 mph. :silly: