SiouxSports.com Forum

UND alum blasts Kupchella

PCM

There's a letter to the editor in today's Grand Forks Herald from a UND alumnus in Des Moines, Iowa, named Joe Proctor. He takes Kupchella to task for failing to lead UND into the ranks of DI.

My business travel sometimes extends into North Dakota. Since I am a UND graduate, the topic of conversation often centers on the comparison between UND and North Dakota State University. Unfortunately, from UND's standpoint, the general perception is that NDSU is moving forward, and UND is slipping backward. Probing deeper it is clear that this perception stems from the difference in leadership at the president's level. NDSU President Joseph Chapman is out leading the charge while UND President Charles Kupchella is directing the retreat.

There's a letter to the editor in today's Grand Forks Herald from a UND alumnus in Des Moines, Iowa, named Joe Proctor. He takes Kupchella to task for failing to lead UND into the ranks of DI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will do a little homework - it will be interesting to see if Mr. Proctor is a financial supporter in the UND Athletic Department. If he has such strong feelings about this issue, he better be able and willing to write a pretty big check each year to support a DI program.

As a result I may need to reconsider my donations to athletics, because there is no net gain to athletics.
Considering the amount of cash it takes to go/be D1, this seems like a patently stupid action.

We need a president who understands the people of North Dakota and can regain respect for UND as the preeminent university in the state and the region.

I never knew UND was in danger of slipping below the residents' collective radar. If anything, Kupchella's fight the past few weeks over the name/logo seems to have boosted the school's stature in the region, and nationally.

The UND Alumni Association Web site shows Joe Proctor as being a member of the UND Letterwinners Assocation and a member of the National Alumni Football Committee. He lettered in football from 1968 to 1970. The committee's missision is:

To improve

Communication - Involvement - Support

for the UND football program through

Fighting Sioux football Letterwinners.

Wow...very interesting comments, especially the accusation that K. has been cutting the university investment in athletics as the private investment has gone up...Sicatoka, you seem to have a very good handle on UND (and NDSU) budgets...does this fit with your figures?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is probably very true, that being said I don't think we need to go Division one in other sports just so we can whoop up on the Bison in Football again. It seems like a pipe dream that doesn't have a good ending. I just can't see UND ever getting competative where we could play Division one basketball against the big schools.

star2city: That's my line.

GCWaters: That's why I'm interested in the FY05 (ended 06/30/05) EADA data for all of the schools in the region. I want to see how each is uniquely doing their budgets.

However, with the numbers I have available (NDSU's are FY 02 and from their CSL Market Study; UND's are FY04 and from their IAC website) here are the revenue sources listed in each budget:

NDSU:

Tickets and Donations - 35%

Student Fees - 12%

Institutional Support and Appropriated (State) Funds - 33%

UND:

Tickets and Donations - 75%

Student Fees - 13%

Institutional Support and Appropriated (State) Funds - 0%

He was also one of the signers of the letter from a group of football letterwinners to Kupchella a year or two ago regarding the dI issue, the response to which ended up in the Fargo Forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Joe played in the late 1960's and finished in 1970. He played O-line. He articulates the frustrations of a group of Alumni from that era who very much wish to take UND to D1AA. They have stepped to the plate with $$$. A couple of his teamates who are more vocal on the committee but maybe less so publically have given >$100,000 and continue to give. I don't think he will quit giving but the frustration is dealing with the president's office and the communication problems they have experienced. They are very frustrated with the lack of follow-up communication. (seems similar to some of the issues with the tribal council from Spirit Lake). Whether or not Kuppy is there, it will cost $$$. Until the NCAA changes the regulations it means bringing the other sports to the real D1 as well as FB to D1AA, which is very expensive. If UND could go D1 in football only the money can be raised and FB is ready to go. I wouldn't call for his resignation over this issue. His office could do better with working with these folks who want the best for UND and the ahtletic department with emphasis on FB.

UND:

Student Fees - 13%

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you believe that UND receives absolutely no state and/or institutional support for athletics, I have a bridge to sell you in north Fargo. :D

The UND administration/alumni would be raising a huge stink if they knew that NDSU was receiving state monies for athletics, while UND was receiving none. Remember the whole proposed, "No state monies may be used for Divsion I athletics, EXCEPT for sports that were DI prior to 2003" state legislation?

It would appear that UND prefers to list their appropriated funds into the particular sports' budgets.

star2city: That's my line.

GCWaters: That's why I'm interested in the FY05 (ended 06/30/05) EADA data for all of the schools in the region. I want to see how each is uniquely doing their budgets.

However, with the numbers I have available (NDSU's are FY 02 and from their CSL Market Study; UND's are FY04 and from their IAC website) here are the revenue sources listed in each budget:

NDSU:

Tickets and Donations - 35%

Student Fees - 12%

Institutional Support and Appropriated (State) Funds - 33%

UND:

Student Fees - 13%

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To determine the validity of Proctor's statement, you'd have to look at the student fee allocation over several years to see if it changed at all. I'm guessing that would have been reported in the student newspaper, but it might be hard to run down now...

bisonguy: I'll pass on the Wall Street bridge right now. :D

Here's what was on UND's IAC website as a projected FY04 revenues:

Mens Hockey Tickets $2,350,000

Football Tickets $375,000

Basketball (Tickets) $220,000

Volleyball Tickets $2,000

Womens Hockey Tickets $7,500

Fighting Sioux Club $1,468,811

Guarantees $95,500

University Fees $765,214

Marketing and Promotions $350,000

Miscellaneous Income $150,000

Administrative Income $152,500

Concessions $7,000

Building and Facilities Rental $2,000

I can only report what that said and I don't see institutional support or appropriated funds listed there.

bisonguy: I'll pass on the Wall Street bridge right now. ;)

Here's what was on UND's IAC website as a projected FY04 revenues:

Womens Hockey Tickets $7,500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy crapcakes. How much of a loss does that program take every year?

Ima buy my season tickets next week. :D

bisonguy: I'll pass on the Wall Street bridge right now. ;)

Dang it, I was ready to give you a nice deal on it. :D:lol:

I can only report what that said and I don't see institutional support or appropriated funds listed there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know state/instiution appropriated money is not in the proposed budget on the IAC site, but I can venture to guess that it's in the actual budget, whether as coaches salaries (what I've heard most of the state appropriated funds are used for at both NDSU and UND), or 'other', or in the revenue for particular sports, or whatever else.

Because someone asked me to put up NDSU's FY02 numbers ....

Ticket sales $790,000

Donations $1,028,000

Guarantee game $13,000

Student Activity Fee $593,000

Institutional Support $996,000

Appropriated Funds $713,000

Sponsorships $220,000

NCAA / Conference $0

Other* $771,000

* Camps, Commissions / Licenses, TV / Radio, Ads and Sales, miscellaneous income.

That's concessions at Hyslop. REA concessions are in the REA budget.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would have to be. When water costs $3 for a bottle of water that can cost as little as 69 cents at a gas station, the profit on everything else based on that markup would be much higher than $7,000

EDIT: And yes, I know that buying in bulk at cost would not bring the bottles of water to 69 cents each. There is a mark up in that price too. So just imagine what cost is for the REA on everything. ;)

Edited by redwing77