SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves that I found this first. Dakota Mermis from Afton, IL made the "All-Star" roster at Lincoln's tryout camp. He's a 1994!! Here's the kicker... on his bio page for the Affton Americans, he writes...

This kid will probably be offered an early invite to the NTDP after the Select 15's. He's a left-handed defenseman.

Trivia: His uncle is HOF caliber offensive tackle Randall McDaniel, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings.

nice first name as well to play for north dakota :lol:

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves that I found this first. Dakota Mermis from Afton, IL made the "All-Star" roster at Lincoln's tryout camp. He's a 1994!! Here's the kicker... on his bio page for the Affton Americans, he writes...

This kid will probably be offered an early invite to the NTDP after the Select 15's. He's a left-handed defenseman.

Trivia: His uncle is HOF caliber offensive tackle Randall McDaniel, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings.

Wow....sounds almost too good to be true...

Wow....sounds almost too good to be true...

He's just a kid, and anything can happen, but if you're as interested in prospecting as I am, this is a good lead. Ambroz was the only 1993 born player in the USHL last year, and he still projects pretty well. I really didn't expect any 1994's to make the USHL this year, but I was excited to see this kid might get a shot... we'll see. The NTDP should be all over him.

I think it was already mentioned, but Matt VanVoorhis will probably verbal to the Sioux sometime soon. He is a lifelong fan and will be playing for the NTDP this coming season.

I'm a bit envious. SCSU hasn't had a NTDP player (not counting Mosey) since Casey Borer. I guess I have to settle for a WJC backstop. :lol:

He's just a kid, and anything can happen, but if you're as interested in prospecting as I am, this is a good lead. Ambroz was the only 1993 born player in the USHL last year, and he still projects pretty well. I really didn't expect any 1994's to make the USHL this year, but I was excited to see this kid might get a shot... we'll see. The NTDP should be all over him.

I think it was already mentioned, but Matt VanVoorhis will probably verbal to the Sioux sometime soon. He is a lifelong fan and will be playing for the NTDP this coming season.

I'm a bit envious. SCSU hasn't had a NTDP player (not counting Mosey) since Casey Borer. I guess I have to settle for a WJC backstop. :lol:

thanks for the vanvoothis update. we will need another solid player with the VV initials after chris leaves :lol:

Wow, as a 94, that's impressive. :lol:

I'm a bit envious. SCSU hasn't had a NTDP player (not counting Mosey) since Casey Borer. I guess I have to settle for a WJC backstop. :)

You'll be very happy with that WJC backstop.

Too bad for TEO that he'll be a short-timer there.

Comes with the territory. As I'm sure Sioux fans can attest from experiece, picking up players soon bound for the NHL can be a nice problem to have.

At least with goaltenders, they have to put up spectacular numbers before they move on... which means good things for SCSU. Forwards and defensemen will sometimes move on right as they're starting to find their groove, meaning you've missed their best years. We've had our fair share of those too.

Comes with the territory. As I'm sure Sioux fans can attest from experiece, picking up players soon bound for the NHL can be a nice problem to have.

At least with goaltenders, they have to put up spectacular numbers before they move on... which means good things for SCSU. Forwards and defensemen will sometimes move on right as they're starting to find their groove, meaning you've missed their best years. We've had our fair share of those too.

actually, if a blue chipper will stick around, goalie is your best bet. i think st. cloud will be a top team with lee in net. he's the real deal, and i think he will be there a minimum of two or three years (although i heard he might play another year of jrs, is that true?). if they keep getting guys like lasch and roe, they could even finally win a ncaa tourney game :) ... i kid, i kid exiled one.

actually, if a blue chipper will stick around, goalie is your best bet. i think st. cloud will be a top team with lee in net. he's the real deal, and i think he will be there a minimum of two or three years (although i heard he might play another year of jrs, is that true?). if they keep getting guys like lasch and roe, they could even finally win a ncaa tourney game :) ... i kid, i kid exiled one.

I figured with Wesolosky going into his Sr. year it would make more sense for Lee to stay in Fargo next year, then come in after Wesolosky leaves. But Lee said he's heading to St. Cloud next year, so I don't think he'll be back in Fargo.

Where'd you hear that? I'd like it if he changed his mind!

I figured with Wesolosky going into his Sr. year it would make more sense for Lee to stay in Fargo next year, then come in after Wesolosky leaves. But Lee said he's heading to St. Cloud next year, so I don't think he'll be back in Fargo.

Where'd you hear that? I'd like it if he changed his mind!

i had actually talked to someone with force ties, but that was a couple of months ago, and alot has changed, including blais no longer being there, which could affect his decision.

It's been confirmed that Lee is coming in this season. SCSU fans thus assume that Weslosky or Dunn may leave. Weslosky might leave because he doesn't care for school, Dunn might leave if Weslosky doesn't. It's difficult to imagine that SCSU would carry three scholarship goalies.

Funny thing is, Lee is such a modest kid that he was 100% willing to stay in the USHL another season, even after being named junior goaltender of the year!

He should compete for playing time as a freshman, though Weslosky really isn't at all bad. Lee would have to put up Bachman's freshman numbers to bump Weslosky, and that's asking a lot.

It's been confirmed that Lee is coming in this season. SCSU fans thus assume that Weslosky or Dunn may leave. Weslosky might leave because he doesn't care for school, Dunn might leave if Weslosky doesn't. It's difficult to imagine that SCSU would carry three scholarship goalies.

Funny thing is, Lee is such a modest kid that he was 100% willing to stay in the USHL another season, even after being named junior goaltender of the year!

He should compete for playing time as a freshman, though Weslosky really isn't at all bad. Lee would have to put up Bachman's freshman numbers to bump Weslosky, and that's asking a lot.

It's interesting that from what I heard he choose SCSU over UND due to the opportunity to play right away when SCSU goalie situation is much more crammed (assumed to be crammed) now than UND's is/would have been had Lee committed here as then Dell wouldn't have been in the equation. It would have only been Lee and Eidsness whereas at SCSU he has to compete with Dunn and Weslosky assuming they are both there when he gets there this fall. I think he would have split time at either place anyway.

It's interesting that from what I heard he choose SCSU over UND due to the opportunity to play right away when SCSU goalie situation is much more crammed (assumed to be crammed) now than UND's is/would have been had Lee committed here as then Dell wouldn't have been in the equation. It would have only been Lee and Eidsness whereas at SCSU he has to compete with Dunn and Weslosky assuming they are both there when he gets there this fall. I think he would have split time at either place anyway.

This could get interesting in the offseason.

I don't think Blais thought Lee would stay in Fargo, in fact he said in an interview he thought he could go straight to the pro ranks. I'm thinking he meant farm system, but I was shocked to hear him say that, but then again, Blais isn't shy about saying what's on his mind.

I fully anticipate that Dunn will transfer.

He actually isn't too bad. For 75% of D1 teams he'd likely be considered an upgrade.

I thought Dunn has looked pretty good when I saw him play and that he is big goalie that was pretty decent on his angles.

I didn't see a lot of flaws in his game.

Corbin Knight info at the end of article.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=425710

he is a commited recruit, not prospective :)

great quote

"The biggest thing is North Dakota is an unbelievable place," said Knight. "I had such a respect for the coaches when I met them and I trusted them. It will be something else to play in front of 12,000 people every night. Also, they've turned out a lot of players who turned pro -- Jonathan Toews and Zach Parise are pretty good NHL players. My dream is to play in the NHL so they've turned out some good hockey players there. That made it one of the best ways for me to go."