SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think at a minimum, we will get 2 more forwards for 09, but to be sure we are far more in need of defensmen. I think part of the reason we have 3 from the metro is that the 09s are particularly strong in the metro. We take the best from anywhere, we are not woogish... I think that the Sioux are clearly interested in Budish and Hanowski, Walters may have had a visit, and Landman is in our back yard. I think it is very possible that one or 2 of our 09s could come in 10, if others commit, thought these guys are so talented it is hard to see. Derek Lee is interesting as he would be a great pickup for 09 as well. Among those player the Sioux could very well round out the forwards.

Defense is another question though. Nick Matson (no relation) would be a HUGE pickup for 09 or 10. That said there is probably room for 2 or 3 more defensmen, so I would expect to see that soon. Finally, I am not going to update the list I have been keeping here, but rather moved it over to the wiki. I will pop in information and rumors as I learn of them.

I don't know how strong the '09 class is. From reading posts on the internet there is a difference of opinion on how strong that class is. In the year after, Nick Mattson is the only MN kid invited to the US development program. Things might be a little down in those year.

You can look at that in a couple ways. Either the Sioux are getting some of the better of a limited and not outstanding group, or they are skimming the cream off a limited pool. Either way, its good to be haves.

I don't know how strong the '09 class is. From reading posts on the internet there is a difference of opinion on how strong that class is. In the year after, Nick Mattson is the only MN kid invited to the US development program. Things might be a little down in those year.

You can look at that in a couple ways. Either the Sioux are getting some of the better of a limited and not outstanding group, or they are skimming the cream off a limited pool. Either way, its good to be haves.

You are right, the Minnesota class for 09 doesn't compare to past years. This isn't to say it isn't good, but just isn't at the talent level as the other classes have.

Isn't Taylor Mattson, the gopher recruit, his brother? Kind of funny he didn't want to play with his brother. Then again, maybe he wanted to make his own name. Whatever, I'm glad the Sioux got him. Like someone said, you win some, you lose some. Who would have though Ness would go to Minnesota out of Roseau, especially after his dad played for the Sioux.

Isn't Taylor Mattson, the gopher recruit, his brother? Kind of funny he didn't want to play with his brother. Then again, maybe he wanted to make his own name. Whatever, I'm glad the Sioux got him. Like someone said, you win some, you lose some. Who would have though Ness would go to Minnesota out of Roseau, especially after his dad played for the Sioux.

Not for certain, but I think that there are 3 Mattsons and they are all not related and maybe even spelled differently. Taylor is definitely a rodent, though.

USA hockey: quit with your propaganda! Gopher fans tend to really want a player, then when he signs with UND, say that they never wanted him in the first place.

Here are the facts from Brad's Blog: (on who has been offered scholarships by UMN-Twin Cities)

Both Kristo and Mattson had offers and they told Fink he was going to get an offer soon.

USA hockey: quit with your propaganda! Gopher fans tend to really want a player, then when he signs with UND, say that they never wanted him in the first place.

Here are the facts from Brad's Blog: (on who has been offered scholarships by UMN-Twin Cities)

Both Kristo and Mattson had offers and they told Fink he was going to get an offer soon.

I don't think you understood what USAHockey posted. He was referring to the Minnesota HS class and not the GO4s class.

Look here buddy, if you would've read down I clarrified that Fink would have been offered had he waited. I also said that Kristo always wanted to play here so the Gophers never really had a chance to recruit him hard, it doesn't mean that there wouldn't have been an offer on the table.

I don't think you understood what USAHockey posted. He was referring to the Minnesota HS class and not the GO4s class.

We aren't going to go throught this argument again are we? I would be willing to bet that Lucia would have wanted all three of these kids...

It sure would be nice if the Sioux could land one of Budish, Landman or Hanowski as well as I think that would leave the Gophs some slim pickins when it comes to the Minnesota boys. I have heard that Landman would come here in a heartbeat if he was offered but don't know for sure.

Boy nothing like nailing down your top choices. :glare:

;) lets see, ill go with belvedere no......wait, ill go with the gray goose please :)

hes going to UND or Minny......just a hunch, also i though we have already see that article here somewhere. is it new or old? i believe he has a minny connection maybe as his dad went there or something. whoever gets him will benefit!!

That article is pretty old and I believe was posted here earlier, but he will be visiting Minnesota pretty soon (if not already) and will visit here for a game this year.

yeah, i thought it was pretty old too. and apparently his dad played for the gophs football. if i had to guess i would see him as a gopher, but i have zero inside sources. but if those schools are listed in order of his choice, und was first....

yeah, i thought it was pretty old too. and apparently his dad played for the gophs football. if i had to guess i would see him as a gopher, but i have zero inside sources. but if those schools are listed in order of his choice, und was first....

Word has it that Budish's decision is still a ways off. Word also has it that despite his dad's status, he has no particular allegence to Minnesota. My guess is that he'll pick based purely on the offer and his personal feelings about each particular college's atmosphere. Don't forget, he's being looked at for football scholarships too. I have a feeling he'll go the hockey route though.

The good thing for me is that SCSU could still be in the mix, as the college atmosphere is fun, the offer could be much bigger, and the proximity could be a selling point too. Granted St. Cloud is at a disadvantage in many other ways, but program prestige doesn't seem to be a factor for this recruit.

Still, even though I hate to admit it, my gut feeling is that the goofers will end up with him. :glare:

Trivia Question: Name Zach's two older brothers and where they played college hockey. (10 points)

Word has it that Budish's decision is still a ways off. Word also has it that despite his dad's status, he has no particular allegence to Minnesota. My guess is that he'll pick based purely on the offer and his personal feelings about each particular college's atmosphere. Don't forget, he's being looked at for football scholarships too. I have a feeling he'll go the hockey route though.

The good thing for me is that SCSU could still be in the mix, as the college atmosphere is fun, the offer could be much bigger, and the proximity could be a selling point too. Granted St. Cloud is at a disadvantage in many other ways, but program prestige doesn't seem to be a factor for this recruit.

Still, even though I hate to admit it, my gut feeling is that the goofers will end up with him. :glare:

Trivia Question: Name Zach's two older brothers and where they played college hockey. (10 points)

Actually he has three older brothers so I will assume you forgot about Andy. Josh played for RPI and Jeff for St-Olaf.