SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux vs. U of Manitoba Bison(s)

siouxnami

All I can say is that I feel a lot better about this season's team beating Manitoba 6-1 than last season's team beating them 8-3. Last year, the Sioux outshot the Bisons 24-19, which made me worried about how much offense the Sioux would generate. It was a sign of things to come. This time, the shot differential was 49-18, and if not for some great saves by Krister Toews, it could easily have been a 10-1 game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I felt the same way after leaving the game yesterday. There were times when the Spirko line was really dominating in the offensive zone and it was a lot of fun to watch.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish there was something we could do on the home front so all of you displaced Sioux fans could see or at least hear the game and not be dependent on a system that obviously is inferior to everything else out there. Any suggestions? I'm up for doing what I can for you on the home front.

According to the Herald recap, Prpich and Kaip got game misconducts for the scrum at the end of the game. So it looks like UND will be without those two for the Miami, OH game next weekend.

I've heard the other team instigated the fight and it's sometimes hard to skate away, but it's still pretty dumb to get a misconduct in a meaningless game.

According to the Herald recap, Prpich and Kaip got game misconducts for the scrum at the end of the game.  So it looks like UND will be without those two for the Miami, OH game next weekend. 

I've heard the other team instigated the fight and it's sometimes hard to skate away, but it's still pretty dumb to get a misconduct in a meaningless game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DQ warrants missing the next game, misconduct just gets you removed the the remainder of the game.

Appears the referee didn't overreact to the scrum. The Manitoba instigator (a spear by Smith) didn't get any penalties.

Sonuva......no one came on here pointing us to their recap on USCHO. :lol:

USCHO Game Recap

Of course, that might be because of the discrepancy on whether Kozek or Watkins scored a goal. :)

Last winter the Sioux struggled to beat Bemidji. Manitoba beat BSU on Saturday and got thrashed by the Fighting Sioux last night. They did have to play the extra game, so it's fair to take that into account, but another encouraging sign for the team.

Anyone know why Marvin didn't play.  I would think he would be in there before Alexander and I was thinking he might get quite a bit of time on D early on because he has been there before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was just one reference to one of the Sioux that did not play, a dinged hand, not sure I remember correctly but I think it was Marvin.

Sonuva......no one came on here pointing us to their recap on USCHO.    :lol:

I sent it last night, but it didn't show up on USCHO until this morning. I thought it was old news by now.

Of course, that might be because of the discrepancy on whether Kozek or Watkins scored a goal.  :)

Oh poop! What was I thinking? I knew Kozek scored the goal. Why did I write Watkins instead? Senility is a horrible thing. :huh: A correction has been sent.

Im sorry for asking its a little off subject but does anyone know how much Looker makes for announcing for the year (I made a bet with a person) I couldn't find it anywhere. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I knew (which I don't), I wouldn't tell. Why is it any of your business?

Spirko, Zajac and Stafford were virtually unstoppable.

I really like that line, I also like the Toews, Stafford Zajac line too.

I would like to see Duncan, Porter and Sparky on a line. I think it could be pretty exciting.

Matt Watkins or Andrew Kozek? Only SS's intrepid reporter knows for sure.

1909.jpg

Another poster commented on Brian Lee being the 2nd Coming of Travis Roche. Considering he's fresh out of high school & poised beyond his years, he may even be a notch above Roche in pure ability.The coming month & stiffer competition should tell us if this is so. Had he been born a few more miles to the north customs agents may have not allowed him to enter the States.

Don't agree very much with some of the WCHA final standings predictions over at USCHO. 4th & 5th place? The WCHA is a 4 or 5 team top-heavy league this year but if the Sioux can confine their one & only weakness (defense, at least early) to one or two defensive pairings they may be able to finish top 3. From a pressure perspective, it may be easier to start low & climb gradually during the year, rather than starting very high & trying to maintain that intensity for 6 months. Have fun & play the spoiler role for awhile.