SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

How is this news? There's nothing really new...

But I suppose the Herald is going to print something every time someone on SR sneezes? :D

Let me know when something actually happens on SR.

How is it news? You mean you think the fact that they got enough names on a petition to send this to a vote is not news? Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I mean, we need both tribe's suport, and one has already given us the blessing. Now that we need the other and it's getting down to the finish line and the 2nd tribe finally got a petition to send this to a vote - that's really not news.

I'm going to love it when that vote passes and we get support from both tribes. I'll be curious to hear your reaction, seeing that the past couple of months it was a foregone conclusion to you that the name should have been retired by now. Once we get both tribe's nod of approval and retain the name, the time that you have spent on this messageboard and topic will all be wasted!

The number one overall seed in the bball could not outdraw a UND hockey game. Check attendence the UND-St. Cloud game had more people by almost a thousand then Kansas basketball. WOW and KU is closer to Oklahoma City then Grand Forks is too St. Paul.

Same argument. How many UND and SCSU hockey fans live in the twin cities? How many KU and UNI bball fans live in OKC?

What if the game in OKC was between OU and OSU? If that had drawn 20k, would that mean that OU bball is better than KU bball? :D

As I already said, the real measure if TV ratings. How many tuned into the KU bball game on TV vs. the UND-SCSU hockey game? Not even close.

How is it news? You mean you think the fact that they got enough names on a petition to send this to a vote is not news? Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I mean, we need both tribe's suport, and one has already given us the blessing. Now that we need the other and it's getting down to the finish line and the 2nd tribe finally got a petition to send this to a vote - that's really not news.

I'm going to love it when that vote passes and we get support from both tribes. I'll be curious to hear your reaction, seeing that the past couple of months it was a foregone conclusion to you that the name should have been retired by now. Once we get both tribe's nod of approval and retain the name, the time that you have spent on this messageboard and topic will all be wasted!

I'll be glad it's finally over, one way or another and that UND will be in the Summit. That's all I've cared about the entire time. However, I don't see anything happening of significant before the June deadline. The SBoHE will not let it drag on beyond that.

I'll be glad it's finally over, one way or another and that UND will be in the Summit. That's all I've cared about the entire time. However, I don't see anything happening of significant before the June deadline. The SBoHE will not let it drag on beyond that.

Hey mplsbison...Nothings happening so you shouldn't need to post. We'll let you know when something is happening as you requested.

As I already said, the real measure if TV ratings. How many tuned into the KU bball game on TV vs. the UND-SCSU hockey game? Not even close.

CBS received weekend ratings of just over 5 for the NCAA BB tourney...that's about the same ratings for the Alamo Bowl this fall. :D

That hissing sound is the air leaking from your ballon!

Well that was the highest rated bowl game in ESPN's history.

It's the ALAMO BOWL! You really want to play this game???

EVERY episode of Americam Idol draws an 8+!

The fact of the matter is the NCAA BB tourney from a TV viewership standpoint is less than stellar...plain and simple.

Is it a bigger TV draw than NCAA hockey...absolutely, but it's not as huge of deal as MplsBison makes it out to be. The ratings on Thurs. and Fri. were just over 3. Reruns of Baywatch :D get those ratings!

Just got home from this weekends' games...flew in from Dayton Ohio. What a great weekend!! Go Sioux.

I drove from Cincinatti, Ohio to Grand Forks to check the house for water, back to St. Paul for the F5, then back to Cincinatti. Thinking about making the drive to Conneticut to watch the Regionals. If not, will drive to Ft. Wayne and watch them there. Flew in from Alaska for the F5 2009, from SD 2008, from AZ 2007.....

What is this talk of MBB??

CBS received weekend ratings of just over 5 for the NCAA BB tourney...that's about the same ratings for the Alamo Bowl this fall. :D

That hissing sound is the air leaking from your ballon!

Red Herring.

What was the TV rating of the UND v SCSU game, in comparison?

It's the ALAMO BOWL! You really want to play this game???

EVERY episode of Americam Idol draws an 8+!

The fact of the matter is the NCAA BB tourney from a TV viewership standpoint is less than stellar...plain and simple.

Is it a bigger TV draw than NCAA hockey...absolutely, but it's not as huge of deal as MplsBison makes it out to be. The ratings on Thurs. and Fri. were just over 3. Reruns of Baywatch :D get those ratings!

The highest rated bowl game ever on ESPN, not sure what is so hard to understand about that. That would be higher than a number of better bowls ESPN televises, and the only reason the Alamo Bowl got such a high rating is Mike Leech.

But the NCAA tournament also draws heavily with online viewers...

CBS has averaged a 5.3 overnight household rating, according to Nielsen, for all 15 of its coverage windows on Thursday through Sunday, including all primetime and afternoon games.

That's off a slight 2 percent from last year, when the two opening rounds averaged a 5.4 rating on CBS. The network has seen some improvements, with Thursday's primetime block up very slightly over last year.

But the real gains have been online. On Thursday, the only full day available so far, MMOD got off to its best start yet, with 3 million unique viewers, up 11 percent over 2009.

Some 3.4 million hours of audio and video were streamed, 20 percent better than last year.

Those were both records for online sports streaming on the web, according to CBS.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/p...old_for_CBS.asp

Red Herring.

What was the TV rating of the UND v SCSU game, in comparison?

Is he your boyfriend??

I already conceeded above that MBB has greater viewship than hockey.

Your point that NCAA MBB is the biggest thing going just doesn't hold water then you look at attendence and TV viewership over this past week.

Or the sound of his girlfriend deflating.

:D:D:lol::lol: That's exactly what I was going to say! The only question is whether it's a "girl" model or not. If so, it's probably named Jo, and is dressed in a cute little Bisonette cheerleading outfit. If it's a "boy" model, it's undoubtedly named Joe, and is dressed in Rock Hudson designer jeans, with a zipper in the back, and knee pads. Regardless of the plumbing, it will be named after his idol in exile. I wonder if he spent a few more bucks to have it arrive with toy sandbags to complete the fantasy.... :D

1004 signatures out of 1900 OMG!! I don't think the SBoHE dare to mess with this. They would get so much crap if they interfered with this. We could see an Indian war against the board and an outcry by everyone involved with UND from students and facilty to alumni and fans. Tom Douple take note on this..the Sioux nickname is about to get a second blessing and there is nothing RHHIT can do about it.

1004 signatures out of 1900 OMG!! I don't think the SBoHE dare to mess with this. They would get so much crap if they interfered with this. We could see an Indian war against the board and an outcry by everyone involved with UND from students and facilty to alumni and fans. Tom Douple take note on this..the Sioux nickname is about to get a second blessing and there is nothing RHHIT can do about it.

Just read the article :D:D:lol:

Is he your boyfriend??

I already conceeded above that MBB has greater viewship than hockey.

Your point that NCAA MBB is the biggest thing going just doesn't hold water then you look at attendence and TV viewership over this past week.

I didn't say it's the biggest thing going. I said it was bigger than hockey, which it is. And, based on the results of UNI and Cornell in this year's MBB tournament and UND's record in the hockey tournament this decade, UND has equal chance of winning the MBB tournament as they do the hockey tournament.

Let me preface this post by saying I agree that it's a positive sign that 1004 people signed the petition. However, keep in mind that the petition they signed asks for a vote of the people. It doesn't say that they will vote in favor of the nickname if a vote is allowed. I recall reading or seeing a Standing Rock Tribal member who was against the nickname stating he signed the petition because he felt that it should be decided by the people of Standing Rock and not some committee.

Again, I view this as a positive development, but let's not get too excited yet...

And, based on the results of UNI and Cornell in this year's MBB tournament and UND's record in the hockey tournament this decade, UND has equal chance of winning the MBB tournament as they do the hockey tournament.

I can honestly say that THAT statement above is one of, if not, the dumbest statements ever made on this site.

To make a statement that a MBB team that was what...299 out of 300+ D1 teams could have better odds of winning a NC vs. a perennial top 5 hockey team that only has 50+ total D1 hockey teams to compete against is utterly hilarious.

Cornell...1st Ivy league team to win a single NCAA tourney game since Penn in the mid 80's I believe.

UNI..1st MVC team to win a single NCAA tourney game since Bird was Indiana St.

NDSU made the NCAA tourney last year and I'll set the line that it's at least 7 yrs before they make it back (and I'll take the over), never mind the thought as to when they'll win a SINGLE NCAA tourney game.

All I can say is...wow! And for the sake of your financial well being...never, ever go to Vegas!!

This is not correct...in fact

2001- Indiana State wins 1 game

2002- Creighton wins 1 game; Southern IL wins 2

2005- Southern IL wins 1 game

2006- Bradley wins 2 games; Wichita State wins 2 games

2007- Southern IL wins 2 games

2010- UNI wins 2 games (to be continued)

Not sure where you got the fact but the MVC has long been known to produce wins in the NCAA tournament.

CBS said that in their broadcast of the UNI game, people have been getting that wrong all over the web ever since.

I think NDSU will make it back in the next seven years, all you have to do is win three games, which is why getting into a conference is so important.

That said, I do think UND will be fine in taking this to the deadline, but it will be vital to end it one way or the other at that time.

This is not correct...in fact

2001- Indiana State wins 1 game

2002- Creighton wins 1 game; Southern IL wins 2

2005- Southern IL wins 1 game

2006- Bradley wins 2 games; Wichita State wins 2 games

2007- Southern IL wins 2 games

2010- UNI wins 2 games (to be continued)

Not sure where you got the fact but the MVC has long been known to produce wins in the NCAA tournament.

My mistake...What you have above is correct.

Was thinking my head NC appearence w Bird @ ISU.

But still stand by my opinion...MplsBison's statement was totally absurd!