SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Sean Penn and Hugu Chavez are int he same category to me as Micheal Moore. This ahole could not make a good movie if he had too.

I thought he was pretty decent as "Jeff Spicoli" in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Spicoli: This is U.S. History, I see the globe right there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Spicoli: What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves - pronto - we'll just be bogus too! Get it?

I see where some members of the Standing Rock Community came to UND for a meeting with faculty and staff and students. Predictably, the same principled voices of change and noble arbiters of racism could be heard haranguing against the name through the walls. Where are the police reports/investigations substantiating their claims of racist incidents on campus? There are none because they know they could be prosecuted by filing false reports. I would hope that the stark contrast between sound, logical, common sense, balanced reasoning in favor of the name and the unbalanced wailing and gnashing of teeth by very strange people against the name would be evident to the tribal members visiting campus. If nickname proponents remain balanced and do not engage in the behavior exhibited by the anti-nickname crowd, the pro-nickname position will be more effectively communicated and advanced.

I thought he was pretty decent as "Jeff Spicoli" in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

It was easy for him. He was just portraying how he is in real life minus the outbursts of physical violence including, apparently, violence against some women.

Jeff Spicoli: This is U.S. History, I see the globe right there.

Jeff Spicoli: What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves - pronto - we'll just be bogus too! Get it?

Yeah dallassiouxfan, Sean Penn is a horrible actor... :D

Oh wait, didn't he win Best Actor for Mystic River? And wasn't he nominated three other times for Dead Man Walking, Sweet and Lowdown, and I Am Sam?

You don't have to like the man's politics, but to say he is no good as an actor is just stupid.

And, about his politics, he did more for the folks in NOLA than the entire Shrub administration.

And what the hell does he have do with whether or not we keep the Fighting Sioux name?

Oh wait, didn't he win Best Actor for Mystic River? And wasn't he nominated three other times for Dead Man Walking, Sweet and Lowdown, and I Am Sam?

You don't have to like the man's politics, but to say he is no good as an actor is just stupid.

And, about his politics, he did more for the folks in NOLA than the entire Shrub administration.

And what the hell does he have do with whether or not we keep the Fighting Sioux name?

Hey Dumb-Ahole when did I say he was a bad actor?? Maybe you need to read more closely before you speak.

"This ahole could not make a good movie if he had too." Sioux7>5

Mea Culpa dallassiouxfan, please direct my previous comment to Sioux7>5...

"It was easy for him. He was just portraying how he is in real life..." dallassiouxfan

Again, mea culpa, however, what a shining endorsement of his acting skills...

"Ooohh, pleaz" star2city

Ooohh, pleaz, can you say "Photoshop"?

Again, what does Sean Penn have to do with whether or not we keep the Fighting Sioux name?

To dallassiouxfan, I may have misquoted you, but a "dumb ahole" I'm not. However, when I was stationed in Hawaii, I was called a dumb haole a few times, is that what you meant?

penn_boating.jpeg.jpg

Not exactly on the subject of this thread, but did ol' Sean rush down to Mexico last week to help with the flooding? Did that Chicago rapper get on TV and tell everyone that the Mexican President hates some group in Mexico??

Back to this subject: last week I saw either the exact article Goon mentions or something very close. Couldn't agree more.

"This ahole could not make a good movie if he had too." Sioux7>5

Mea Culpa dallassiouxfan, please direct my previous comment to Sioux7>5...

"It was easy for him. He was just portraying how he is in real life..." dallassiouxfan

Again, mea culpa, however, what a shining endorsement of his acting skills...

"Ooohh, pleaz" star2city

Ooohh, pleaz, can you say "Photoshop"?

Again, what does Sean Penn have to do with whether or not we keep the Fighting Sioux name?

To dallassiouxfan, I may have misquoted you, but a "dumb ahole" I'm not. However, when I was stationed in Hawaii, I was called a dumb haole a few times, is that what you meant?

And I was referring to Micheal Moore not Sean Penn. I am not a Sean Penn fan, but he is OK but not great. As far as who did what for New Orleans. That is a different subject all together

Look what's on the front page of FoxNews.com.

Fate of University of North Dakota 'Fighting Sioux' Logo Threatens Hockey Arena

A $104 million dollar hockey arena may be forced to remove hundreds of images of "The Fighting Sioux," the logo and nickname of the University of North Dakota for more than 70 years, if officials can't reach an agreement with tribal councils.

The university, according to a settlement last month of a lawsuit against the National Collegiate Athletic Association, has three years to negotiate an agreement with two North Dakota Sioux tribes

I see where some members of the Standing Rock Community came to UND for a meeting with faculty and staff and students.

A big f'ing waste of time IMO. The SR leadership is deadset against the name/logo, and there's no way they're going to change their minds, and I doubt there is the political will on the reservation to force a change at the top. Rather than pandering to these people, just retire the name/logo into the history books on our own terms, and forget about them.

A big f'ing waste of time IMO. The SR leadership is deadset against the name/logo, and there's no way they're going to change their minds, and I doubt there is the political will on the reservation to force a change at the top. Rather than pandering to these people, just retire the name/logo into the history books on our own terms, and forget about them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, there must be some glimmer of hope if that avenue is actively being pursued right? If the AG thought that there was no hope there would have been no 3 year time table. The agreement regarding the emblems at the Ralph would have been the same. If there is no hope, then it would seem that an "immediate" name change would be the logical route. I suppose the 3 year time table would have some value as to easing into a change but I do not believe that the NCAA would have agreed to a 3 year time table unless there was at least some prospect of gaining tribal approval. Perhaps the tribal council members' positions as tribal council members are precarious. Maybe UND is being told by indian supporters that new tribal councils may be elected that would be more favorable to the name. Tribal politics are truly strange. Every two years the leadership flip flops from one sect to the other. At least that's the way it was on the Turtle Mountain reservation. Jiggers Lafromboise lost then 2 years later he, or someone from his sect, got elected again and so on and so forth. I think bringing the matter to more light on the reservations will only help UND because it will inform the tribes of how respectfully the name is being used and of what they stand to lose. Hopefully, accountability for stupid decisions still exists on the reservations.

Here's a funny letter to the editor:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/...tive_for_the_ui

The point seems to be (and I'm not sure anyone reading it can figure it out) that now Illinois is winning because we've dropped Chief.

Which ignores our Final Four years. And our Rose Bowl years. And the Butkus years, along with the Red Grange years. And that only works if you think that somehow Osceola is limiting FSU's success.

Truly, anything can be printed in a newspaper. I certainly hope this guy signed his real name, and his employer realizes his limited intellectual capacity.

Agree 100 percent.

I agree 60%.

If the SR council was so dead set against giving their approval, why did they even come to UND? Wouldn't that be a big waste of time? Why didn't they say "hey, if you want to talk to us you can come out here"? Did they come out so they could get some more of the white man's alcohol (was it David Gipp that made that comment? I forget). I doubt it.

I have no problem reaching out to see if there is an opportunity for an agreement. The NCAA put us in this position, not the Tribes themselves. Let's feel out the situation and go from there. I don't want to pander to the Tribes either, but you know the old saying "everything's for sale at the right price".

Let's find out what it would take.

I honestly don't see Ron His Horse Is Thunder or David Gipp suddenly doing a 180, and agreeing that the name/logo is okay for any price. Moreover, I have serious reservations, no pun intended, about dealing with a sovereign nation that has the Sword of Damocles over UND's use of the name/logo, and they can drop it at anytime. Rather than UND kowtowing to these people ad infinitum, I would rather the University show some pride and tell them to "pound sand", and move into the future without them being an albatross.

I honestly don't see Ron His Horse Is Thunder or David Gipp suddenly doing a 180, and agreeing that the name/logo is okay for any price.

Oh, they have a price. They always do. We will know who they are by their actions.

... the Sword of Damocles ....

I'd rather deal with the sword (and legacy of a man) in here in "SEC. 4 (a) (3) (B) (i)" here.

I Am Sam might be one of the best acting performances I've ever watched.

Oh, they have a price. They always do. We will know who they are by their actions.

I'm not going to search back right now but if I'm not mistaken, didn't Kupchella talk about a contingent of ranking members of the SR tribe come and visit during the MN hockey series last year, and come away with a different (and more positive) impression of things here than they had been lead to believe back home?

This gives me some hope that with some communication and first hand experiences there is room for that approval.