SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Nevertheless, an allegation repeated often enough and persistently enough eventually takes on a certain degree of believability among those who want to believe it.

So, Lloyd, that would still leave "those" as the whining, simpering minority. Good to see you lost your cajones when you entered academia. Or politics. :glare:

The loser usually only pays court costs in frivolous lawsuits, but not in this case, since it has merit. So, you can forget the idea of NCAA picking up the tab after Janke rules in favor of UND, and UND won't get stuck with the bill after the Honorable Judge is overturned on appeal.

As per the cost of removing said offensive logos, Ralph was warned many times the logo would someday have to go and he chose to ignore it. I'd say either UND or REA, Inc will have to eat the cost. No way this issue will disappear until we get a neutral logo. Sorry, but I'm a UND grad too.

The loser usually only pays court costs in frivolous lawsuits, but not in this case, since it has merit. So, you can forget the idea of NCAA picking up the tab after Janke rules in favor of UND, and UND won't get stuck with the bill after the Honorable Judge is overturned on appeal.

As per the cost of removing said offensive logos, Ralph was warned many times the logo would someday have to go and he chose to ignore it. I'd say either UND or REA, Inc will have to eat the cost. No way this issue will disappear until we get a neutral logo. Sorry, but I'm a UND grad too.

If UND were to win and if the matter were taken to a higher court, the reviewing court would have to consider the factual findings of a jury and not Judge Jahnke. Any factual findings would be entitled to great weight and would not be disturbed unless there was clear error. Somehow, I don't think that a jury's finding that the NC00 failed to follow its own clearly dictated policies and procedures could be construed as clearly erroneous. You seem to think that the issue will "disappear" when and if a "neutral logo" is adopted. Presumably, this is when the whining of the PC crowd would cease. Somehow, you think that those in favor of the logo/name would simply forget about it. Did you not read the several articles about Dartmouth? ? ? ? ? The Dartmouth experience would pale in comparison to UND.

Standing Rock veterans board backs UND Fighting Sioux nickname

The governing board of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation's Veterans Group voted unanimously Monday to throw its support behind UND's Fighting Sioux nickname.

That vote came during a meeting with Ralph Engelstad Arena envoy Sam Dupris, an enrolled member of the Cheyenne River Sioux tribe and a decorated Korean War veteran.

Dupris has been visiting Sioux officials on the arena's behalf since early this summer, part of an arena attempt to improve its relations with Sioux tribes, which are strained over UND's continued use of the Sioux nickname.

Black Cloud said he believes most veterans on the reservation support the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, though not all.

1) Does anyone know what % of the tribe population this Veterans Group represents?

2) One of your local tribes apparently no longer uses the term "Sioux" to represent themselves. Was this the Standing Rock group? (edit: ignore this question-apparently its the Spirit Lake group that no longer uses that moniker.)(edited at 1:00 pm Central time.)

1) Does anyone know what % of the tribe population this Veterans Group represents?

2) One of your local tribes apparently no longer uses the term "Sioux" to represent themselves. Was this the Standing Rock group? (edit: ignore this question-apparently its the Spirit Lake group that no longer uses that moniker.)(edited at 1:00 pm Central time.)

I would venture to say that it is representative of the vast majority opinion on the reservation. I'm not sure how many veterans it speaks for though.

Strange, no snide comments about how the GF Herald is so against the nickname and how their UND beat writers have to sign in blood to write only stories that are against the nickname.

Oh jeez, what was I thinking, of course, the story is actually a positive for the pro-nickname army. Duh.

:glare:

Strange, no snide comments about how the GF Herald is so against the nickname and how their UND beat writers have to sign in blood to write only stories that are against the nickname.

Oh jeez, what was I thinking, of course, the story is actually a positive for the pro-nickname army. Duh.

:glare:

The rag does not get a pass from me. You're not too familiar with techniques in propaganda are you? The rag slants the story. Consider the following passages

Dupris has been visiting Sioux officials on the arena's behalf since early this summer, part of an arena attempt to improve its relations with Sioux tribes, which are strained over UND's continued use of the Sioux nickname.

AND

UND-NCAA lawsuitUND is suing the NCAA over a 2005 policy barring schools with American Indian logos and nicknames from displaying those logos and nicknames during postseason play or hosting playoff games.

Out of 20 schools originally subject to the restrictions, UND is the only school still fighting the policy. All other schools on the list have either stopped using American Indian imagery or won an NCAA waiver, usually by gaining the endorsement of a nearby namesake tribe.

The first misstates relations with the tribes. Relations are certainly strained with certain PC hacks within the tribes and with certain PC hack professors. The relations are not strained with most members of the tribe like the veterans group that this guy engaged. There was another big-wig -- I want to say that it was Mr. His Horse is Thunder -- on the tribal judiciary or something who supported the nickname. Most support the nickname but the rag focuses only on a few PC hacks and claims that relations are strained.

As to the second passage, I thought UND was suing the NC00 over not fairly administering and not complying with their 2005 "policy." I thought UND was suing over the arbitrary and capricious manner that the NC00 applied its "policy" as to UND. I thought UND was suing the NC00 because it did not follow its own procedures/constitution in adopting a "policy," without input or voting from its membership, applied to all schools. The "Out of 20 schools...." blather is a passage the rag writers always use to make UND appear "unreasonable" and the rag fails to mention the 2000 resolution from the Spirit Lake tribe.

Friend, you had better get out your brown shirt and red arm band as you are evidently easily convinced/deceived through such techniques.

The rag does not get a pass from me. You're not too familiar with techniques in propaganda are you? The rag slants the story. Consider the following passages

AND

UND-NCAA lawsuitUND is suing the NCAA over a 2005 policy barring schools with American Indian logos and nicknames from displaying those logos and nicknames during postseason play or hosting playoff games.

Out of 20 schools originally subject to the restrictions, UND is the only school still fighting the policy. All other schools on the list have either stopped using American Indian imagery or won an NCAA waiver, usually by gaining the endorsement of a nearby namesake tribe.

The first misstates relations with the tribes. Relations are certainly strained with certain PC hacks within the tribes and with certain PC hack professors. The relations are not strained with most members of the tribe like the veterans group that this guy engaged. There was another big-wig -- I want to say that it was Mr. His Horse is Thunder -- on the tribal judiciary or something who supported the nickname. Most support the nickname but the rag focuses only on a few PC hacks and claims that relations are strained.

As to the second passage, I thought UND was suing the NC00 over not fairly administering and not complying with their 2005 "policy." I thought UND was suing over the arbitrary and capricious manner that the NC00 applied its "policy" as to UND. I thought UND was suing the NC00 because it did not follow its own procedures/constitution in adopting a "policy," without input or voting from its membership, applied to all schools. The "Out of 20 schools...." blather is a passage the rag writers always use to make UND appear "unreasonable" and the rag fails to mention the 2000 resolution from the Spirit Lake tribe.

Friend, you had better get out your brown shirt and red arm band as you are evidently easily convinced/deceived through such techniques.

Chewey:

Touche, Good points. Thank you, bud.

But, one thing, I know all of the "rag" writers you allude to personally, from Virg Foss on up, and they are as big a of Fighting Sioux fans as you and me and would never want the name changed -- go figure. I think sometimes too much is read into things... and we see what we want to see or we start believing the myth rather than the truth... who knows. But again, great points. I will try to wise up.

You got to admit, though, great and interesting stuff in the paper today... ie. Northwood angels and photos galore, dead city councilman, Pauslen vs. Kupchella, EGF taxes debate, Devils Lake outlet rebuttal, Danny Mattson, etc. etc. etc.

We may hate it, but we sure like to read it....it gets our hearts pumping and our blood boiling. What would anyone of us do if we didn't hate our hometown rags?.... I mean it's the American way, er, in my case, the Canadian way.

Can't wait to get back down there to enjoy a Sioux football or hockey game this fall.

Sincerely,

Fred

Canmore, Alberta

UND Class or '96

I would venture to say that it is representative of the vast majority opinion on the reservation. I'm not sure how many veterans it speaks for though.

I certainly don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I agree. I think the closer you get to asking people on a one-to-one basis, the more you'd find that they aren't anywhere near as strident as their activist "leaders". I feel it