SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

"Everyone would like to see Native American lives improve on and off the Reservations.....what can we do together to make life easier? I think everyone will agree that the problems that people on the Reservations face today were not caused by the University of North Dakota." -Hockeymom

Not everyone... The NCAA doesn't give a damn about the lives of Native Americans. For them it's all about the money. Unless, of course, by "everyone" you meant the UND Fighting Sioux Community.

The following is a link to the same story that was in the GF Herald, but if you go to the bottom of the page there are the readers comments regarding the story.

Bismarck Tribune Story regarding University of North Dakota Indian Association leader resigns

FACT: I am of northern European descent, but was adopted and raised from a young age by Indians. Logos like UND's did nothing to further my prejudices against First Nation peoples... my family's behavior sure did, though! The row over UND's logo is simply a way to keep bitter grievances in the public arena of ideas because they keep being wiped off the table by people who don't care, are racists or mature enough to treat people right and that logos have nothing to do with the issue. This discussion does nothing to motivate the apathetic; change the heart of racists (except to deepen the problem, perhaps) and seems to stifle the voices of clear-headed people like Mr. Peltier. Go get 'em, Kid! Thanks for being a great example of fair-mindedness.

Sorry, but how many UNDIA members are hailing Peltier's resignation as a "victory" for their cause?

I'm sorry, the guy was pushed to resign because he supported the nickname. Isn't that hostile and abusive?

I guess GrahamKracker was right! If you are Native American and support the nickname, you're obviously not Native American enough! The only "real" Native Americans are against the nickname.

I guess I'm saddened that GK may actually be right about something. ;)

Sorry, but how many UNDIA members are hailing Peltier's resignation as a "victory" for their cause?

I'm sorry, the guy was pushed to resign because he supported the nickname. Isn't that hostile and abusive?

I guess GrahamKracker was right! If you are Native American and support the nickname, you're obviously not Native American enough! The only "real" Native Americans are against the nickname.

I guess I'm saddened that GK may actually be right about something. ;)

I can't speak for everyone but those I know did not hail or see it as a victory. I felt bad for the group and what happened. And again, there's more to the story than you all know. That I am for certain. He did what he felt was best for him and he did what was best for the group.

There are plenty of non native people who do not support the nickname... and I don't know all that was stated by GrahamKracker... from what I gather that person was an extremist.

I wonder is we should say this is another publicity stunt with the nickname like was claimed about Mr. LaPointe?

I also see that there's a link between the two people. Or have heard there is... All heresay though!

I would assume she is talking about Lapointe and Peltier.

Uh, if there is a link, I'd also have to assume its the link formed by two people with deep seeded hatred for each others' personal beliefs.

LaPointe (aka GrahamKracker) was as anti-nickname as anyone ever. Peltier may not have been as vocal as LaPointe but he was for the nickname. I doubt they'd be friends, unless LaPointe is all talk.

I mean, it would be like George W. Bush and Nancy Pelosi saying they are close friends and meet regularly to discuss the latest book in Oprah's Book Club. ;)

Of course, undsportsfan, there is one difference: LaPointe quit UND. Peltier resigned his post. He did not leave UND.

From the Herald & Review (Decatur, Ill.):

U of I should make Chief Illiniwek's case in court

Chief Illiniwek may have made his last appearance at a University of Illinois football game. Although school officials say no decision has been made on appearance by the Chief, the football and basketball tradition is in danger because of a heavy-handed and totally inconsistent ruling by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, the primary governing body for intercollegiate sports.
So it's not fair to the athletes in those sports if Illinois ignores the NCAA ruling and doesn't host any postseason games. That puts the university athletes in an unfair position.

But there is some hope. The University of North Dakota - the Fighting Sioux - received a temporary injunction allowing them to host a football playoff game. The NCAA agreed not to fight the temporary injunction.

That may indicate the NCAA realizes its policy is too inconsistent to stand up in a court of law.

I think we need to hear more of this.

But that doesn't mean the university has to bow to the whims of the NCAA either. If enough schools challenge the NCAA ruling in a court of law - about the only avenue left to these schools - the NCAA might back down from its position. North Dakota University has taken the first step.
Emphasis added.

Can anyone on here remember an article written by Sports Illustrated approxmiately 2 years that talked about UND and the logo? I'm trying to find it again, but am having no luck. Just wondering if anyone else remembers this article or if I'm being delusional again. It was written before the NCAA came out with the whole "Hostile and Abusive" stuff if that helps.

Is this the article you were looking for? The Indian Wars

Like the Ute tribe, most Native Americans have no problem with teams using names like Indians and Fighting Illini -- or even imposed names like Sioux. "People get upset about the Fighting Sioux, but why?" Gross says. "We're not Sioux people, anyway. The French and the Ojibway tribe gave us that name, and they're our hereditary enemies. We're not braves, and we're not really Indians. I know the history. For me those names are not a problem."

Is this the article you were looking for? The Indian Wars

Like the Ute tribe, most Native Americans have no problem with teams using names like Indians and Fighting Illini -- or even imposed names like Sioux. "People get upset about the Fighting Sioux, but why?" Gross says. "We're not Sioux people, anyway. The French and the Ojibway tribe gave us that name, and they're our hereditary enemies. We're not braves, and we're not really Indians. I know the history. For me those names are not a problem."

I think LeftyZL might be talking about the article that had (on the front of the story) a overhead view of the center logo of REA as opposed to the survey of Indians about NA nicknames. I believe it was also the one that Blais was upset with because he thought it was going to feature UND and the REA but instead turned into something else and Blais saying something like he wouldn't never talk to SI again as long as he was coach.

I think LeftyZL might be talking about the article that had (on the front of the story) a overhead view of the center logo of REA as opposed to the survey of Indians about NA nicknames. I believe it was also the one that Blais was upset with because he thought it was going to feature UND and the REA but instead turned into something else and Blais saying something like he wouldn't never talk to SI again as long as he was coach.

That article came out right as the REA was opening. I have a copy of it. The article talked nothing about the hockey team and just the stupid nickname debate. I haven't pulled it out and looked at it in a while but I also believe that they had a picture of when the protesters were carrying around that black coffin on campus.

UND is way ahead of the curve compared to FSU.

FSU launches history class on Seminoles after NCAA dispute

It was launched this year partly in response to the National Collegiate Athletic Association's attempt to force Florida State to abandon its nickname and mascot, Osceola. The Seminole warrior hurls a flaming spear into the turf before every home football game from astride his horse, Renegade.

UND is way ahead of the curve compared to FSU.

FSU launches history class on Seminoles after NCAA dispute

Such a course was one of several steps university and tribal officials had considered over the years to cement the Florida State-Seminole bond. They never did anything about it, though, until the NCAA last year deemed the nickname and mascot "hostile or abusive," barring the university from using them when hosting championship events.

The NCAA, though, withdrew its order after university President T.K. Wetherell threatened to sue and the Seminole Tribe of Florida reiterated its support for the university's use of its name and symbols.

School administrators, jarred by the controversy, asked History Department Chairman Neil Jumonville to make the Seminole history course a reality.

"The NCAA probably brought it all together," Wetherell said. "The NCAA probably did us a favor."

Future plans include hiring an American Indian history expert to teach, do research and coach other faculty. Versen has some background in the field, but his specialty is American intellectual and cultural history.

Wowee!!! A whole class. You know the class is worthless if the FSU football team takes all of the slots. :D;)

Did you notice that Wisconsin played Florida State in hoops? :silly:

Aren't they a model institution? Was this a part of the post-season (no) or a tournament (no again)?

Why would they do this??? The answer certainly wouldn't be cold hard cash and TV exposure, would it?

:ohmy:

You're right, the answer wouldn't be that. The ACC - Big Ten Challenge is a tournament set-up each year that Wisconsin is required to take part in. As a result, they have no say over who is scheduled to play them. Also, Wisconsin will play teams within their own conference (Illiniois and North Dakota for instance) because they have no say over those games or in tournaments where they end up playing a school with a Native American name. What Wisconsin says they will not do is schedule games against Native American nickname schools where they have control over scheduling, i.e. regular non-conference games.

Sorry if you were being sarcastic or not or if you knew Wisconsin's actual policy.

I think Wisconsin is a hypocritical shiat pile. If they had the strength of their "convictions", they would leave any league that "required" them to play teams with names/logos that are deemed "offensive" by a tiny group of loud-mouthed bedwetters. Obviously, if there's money on the table, they'll whore themselves out.

Just like these guys.

Linky

You're right, the answer wouldn't be that. The ACC - Big Ten Challenge is a tournament set-up each year that Wisconsin is required to take part in. As a result, they have no say over who is scheduled to play them.

Wisconsin is hardly "required" to take part in this challenge. And these games are simply NOT a tournament. It is not labeled a tournament, there is no "winners move on" policy, no champion is crowned. Simply a series of games scheduled for/by television, no more or less than ESPN's labled "showdown weekend" or "mid-major weekend" or whatever.

Check the records for the years when Bobby Knight was coaching at Indiana. You won't find IU playing a game. That's because Bobby didn't want to take part. Nobody told him he was "required" to take part.

Multi-purpose arenas are needed in several cities. Scheduling these games is a complex task. The institutions themselves have significant say in who/when they play, or if they DO NOT play these games at all.

No team or school is "required" to do this, its as simple as that. Conference meetings and conference consensus were/are required to make this happen. Wisconsin could have (and on a yearly basis, CAN) make their wants and requirements quite clear.

Sorry if you were being sarcastic or not or if you knew Wisconsin's actual policy.

I would suggest that either Wisconsin doesn't care about their policy, or its not a policy at all in that it gets bent and/or broken at whim.

edit-

From an June 12, 2001 article in the Wisconsin State Journal, a newspaper based in Madison, WI:

"Earlier this spring, approval of the women's soccer schedule was held up because it was to play the William & Mary Tribe in the opening game of a tournament at Colorado College. The pairings have since been changed, pitting UW against the host Tigers. The UW policy does not prohibit the Badgers from meeting William & Mary in another round of the tournament. "

http://www.madison.com/wisconsinstatejourn...ports/2016.html