SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

On a semi-related note, did anyone happen to catch the new FSU Seminoles football jersey that debuted on Saturday when they played BC?

362575.jpg

capt.509605fcc32849088292687a43ee1a5c.boston_college_florida_st_flpc204.jpg

Yes, that's the word "UNCONQUERED" written down the side of the pants.

Perhaps Myles Brand is too busy preparing a written statement on the Sioux nickname to pay any attention to Florida State. Oh, if only UND played D1 football and had made the NCAA millions of dollars in TV revenue and bowl games. We wouldn't even be having this discussion.

On a semi-related note, did anyone happen to catch the new FSU Seminoles football jersey that debuted on Saturday when they played BC?

362575.jpg

capt.509605fcc32849088292687a43ee1a5c.boston_college_florida_st_flpc204.jpg

Yes, that's the word "UNCONQUERED" written down the side of the pants.

Perhaps Myles Brand is too busy preparing a written statement on the Sioux nickname to pay any attention to Florida State. Oh, if only UND played D1 football and had made the NCAA millions of dollars in TV revenue and bowl games. We wouldn't even be having this discussion.

At first glance, I thought the pants said "unCENSORED".

From USCHO.com:

Hearing Date Set For North Dakota Suit Vs. NCAA

A hearing to halt enforcement of an NCAA policy penalizing the University of North Dakota for its use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo is scheduled for Nov. 9 in Northeast Central District Court in Grand Forks County.

The hearing is tentatively scheduled from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. before Judge Lawrence Jahnke. Attorneys representing the NCAA and the state of North Dakota will present arguments on the state's request for a preliminary injunction against the association.

Does anyone know if since the judges are UND grads do they have a conflict of interest in the case? On either side of the issue? I would think taht would be something the ncaa will bring up. But I am not an attorney and I never even played one on TV.

Good questions. I imagine that we will learn soon whether the NCAA intends to make that an issue. I'd be surprised if it didn't, but that's just the opinion of a sudo-reporter. :)

I wonder if any of the usual suspects will be outside the courthouse "protesting." I wish I did not have a job and had nothing better to do so I could go counter protest. It sure shocks them when they actually witness vocal opposition to their collective insanity. For those so-called activists who are college professors who choose to protest, it will be a fine display of ND taxpayer dollars at work. Shouldn't they be representing all of their students, including those who may not agree with their shrill antics? Shouldn't they be "educating" in their selected fields? If they choose to "educate" beyond the realm of their so-called expertise, shouldn't they be presenting all viewpoints? I guess DYB's logic, flawed as it is, does not apply to the PC asylum.

In its arrogance, the NC00 had to respond and it is somewhat naive to think that they would not. Using the PC asylum's logic, wouldn't NCAA member dues and fees be better spent on education-related items?. The NCAA has money to spend, including UND's money that it's paid, and their lawyers are only too happy to take $400.00/hour. I would expect a motion to remove to federal court before any injunction hearing. I do not know how a ND grad-judge is not assigned to the case, if it stays in state court. In MN at least, one can remove a judge once. Thereafter, a removal can only be for cause and I do not think that there would be cause justifying further removals, unless any new judge simply does not wish to hear the case.

This is going to sound crazy, but I think that UND should consider declining any football playoff bid if the restrictions are still in place. Accepting a playoff bid under these conditions gives credibility to the nickname ban that the NCAA Politburo and Secretary-General Myles Brand imposed by imperial edict on August 5th, 2005. By declining the bid (and I think we will finish in the top six in the region), we would make the playoff field less credible and make the NCAA look really foolish. I know it isn't going to happen, but I would love to see our athletic department thumb its nose at the NCAA however it can.

Even better would be winning the national championship while on the road for every game. What would the NCAA do then, strip us of the title and ban us from postseason play for all sports? :glare: It would be the ultimate slap in the face to the NCAA Politburo. But I think the odds of any team pulling this off are very slim, if not none. I have always believed that accepting the restrictions permanently would destroy our football program forever. Let's all hope and pray for victory in court so that these tough choices don't have to be made.

I can't WAIT until November 9th!!! Bring it, Myles Brand!!! ???

This is going to sound crazy, but I think that UND should consider declining any football playoff bid if the restrictions are still in place.

It doesn't sound crazy. It is crazy. The NCAA's policy hurts UND enough without the university self-inflicting damage upon itself.

It doesn't sound crazy. It is crazy. The NCAA's policy hurts UND enough without the university self-inflicting damage upon itself.

PCM,

You are right, it would be self-destructive and there is no way that Dale Lennon or Tom Buning would go along with it. And it wouldn't help matters any to decline a playoff bid. But even as a big supporter of UND football, I am angry enough about this whole situation that any way we can tell the NCAA Politburo to stick it sounds tempting. I was just brainstorming out loud. Probably not one of my better ideas. :glare:

Having all playoff games on the road equals no national title, especially in a tough region like ours. You can have some games on the road, but not all of them. It doesn't matter how talented your team is or how good your coaching staff is. Home playoff games are more important in football than in any other sport. In hockey, it doesn't mean as much because all playoff games are regionalized and have been for a long time. In basketball, it's not as daunting to travel to another team's home court and win a regional (re: UND at NDSU in Women's Basketball in 1997). But in football, home field advantage is very important. Both years we advanced to the title game we had all our games at home (2001 and 2003). In 2004, we won at St. Cloud (a game I went to) and at Michigan Tech and then beat Grand Valley State at home. If we had to go to Allendale, Michigan for that game, I don't think we would have won (GVSU is as unbeatable at home as we are). Then we had to go to Pittsburg State and lost. In the early rounds, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But the further you advance in the playoffs, the tougher the teams get and the tougher it is to win games on the road and get to Florence. It isn't impossible, but it is very close to impossible. ???

I will support all of our teams forever, no matter what the circumstances (check out my username if you ever question that). But I also realize that football is one of the major reasons we are moving up to D-I in all sports. It is one of the sports in which we can win a national title at the next level (Men's and Women's Hockey are the others). But if we don't win this legal war (and it is a war, don't ever forget that), we can scratch football off of that list. We have two years of D-II playoff eligibility until we go on five years of playoff probation. If we don't get an injunction, we are in danger of losing this war and of wasting two chances at a potential national championship in the number two sport on campus (behind Men's Hockey). Let's hope that November 9th goes well in the courtroom so our football team can kick butt on the gridiron into December.

PCM,

You are right, it would be self-destructive and there is no way that Dale Lennon or Tom Buning would go along with it. And it wouldn't help matters any to decline a playoff bid. But even as a big supporter of UND football, I am angry enough about this whole situation that any way we can tell the NCAA Politburo to stick it sounds tempting. I was just brainstorming out loud. Probably not one of my better ideas. :glare:

Having all playoff games on the road equals no national title, especially in a tough region like ours. You can have some games on the road, but not all of them. It doesn't matter how talented your team is or how good your coaching staff is. Home playoff games are more important in football than in any other sport. In hockey, it doesn't mean as much because all playoff games are regionalized and have been for a long time. In basketball, it's not as daunting to travel to another team's home court and win a regional (re: UND at NDSU in Women's Basketball in 1997). But in football, home field advantage is very important. Both years we advanced to the title game we had all our games at home (2001 and 2003). In 2004, we won at St. Cloud (a game I went to) and at Michigan Tech and then beat Grand Valley State at home. If we had to go to Allendale, Michigan for that game, I don't think we would have won (GVSU is as unbeatable at home as we are). Then we had to go to Pittsburg State and lost. In the early rounds, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. But the further you advance in the playoffs, the tougher the teams get and the tougher it is to win games on the road and get to Florence. It isn't impossible, but it is very close to impossible. ???

I will support all of our teams forever, no matter what the circumstances (check out my username if you ever question that). But I also realize that football is one of the major reasons we are moving up to D-I in all sports. It is one of the sports in which we can win a national title at the next level (Men's and Women's Hockey are the others). But if we don't win this legal war (and it is a war, don't ever forget that), we can scratch football off of that list. We have two years of D-II playoff eligibility until we go on five years of playoff probation. If we don't get an injunction, we are in danger of losing this war and of wasting two chances at a potential national championship in the number two sport on campus (behind Men's Hockey). Let's hope that November 9th goes well in the courtroom so our football team can kick butt on the gridiron into December.

Well stated, I don't think we beat North Alabama on their home field either.

I assume you all understand that "Seminole" loosely translated means "Unconquered".

I've seen various translations, Sicatoka. I guess the point is nothing that hasn't already been said. Florida State (and I'm not disapproving of them) does anything they want and the NCAA doesn't bat an eye, but UND is still the great Satan along with William and Mary, Illinois, Bradley, etc.

Seminole History in Florida

From the Tallahassee Democrat:

Relation of FSU, tribe distinctive

But let's say this while the bandwagon idles: FSU's use of the Seminole nickname may not be the worst thing in the world.

For years, I've been in the opposite camp. I thought the use of American Indian nicknames by sports teams was inappropriate and unnecessary because they offended so many American Indians.

But increasingly, I'm thinking maybe you've got to go case by case.

So in other words, it's still wrong, except when it's not. :glare:

Today we have this factually challenged tidbit from an article in Mother Jones headlined "What's in a Name?":

A $100 MILLION GIFT from a University of North Dakota alumnus is dependent on the school defying an NCAA ban against racist mascots and keeping the "Fighting Sioux."

Given the fact that Ralph Engelstad died years before the NCAA issued its ban and he's already donated the money, it's rather difficult to understand how he could make such a demand.

Today we have this factually chanllenged tidbit from an article in Mother Jones headlined "What's in a Name?":

Given the fact that Ralph Engelstad died years before the NCAA issued its ban and he's already donated the money, it's rather difficult to understand how he could make such a demand.

Can't you see what's happening here ? It's so obvious, Ralphie staged his own death so he had more time to hang out with Elvis. :glare: Than you, thank you very much, baby.

Today we have this factually chanllenged tidbit from an article in Mother Jones headlined "What's in a Name?":

All Betty's gotta do is push the plunger, PCM.