SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux lines for 05-06

Kermit

It's nice to see that several of the incoming Sioux rookies are highly regarded prospects. We all know how young our d-corps will be and with the departure of Murray, I'd guess that 2 or 3 freshman forwards will need to be worked into the top 2 lines. I'm hoping that at least 2 of Toews, Kozek, and Oshie can pull it off.

Forwards: (assuming no more departures)

Kozek--Zajac--Spirko. Lots of skill. Big 2-way center with 2 smaller wings.

Porter--Toews--Stafford. 17 year-old center with 2 big experienced wings.

Prpich--Watkins--Kaip. A checking/grind line. Watkins bring some speed and skill.

Fabian--Oshie--Duncan. Fabian does the dirty work for the talented rookies.

Others: Martens--Miller--Foyt

Defense: (assuming Greene is gone--the inexperience here is a bit frightening)

Smaby--Lee. Is Lee ready to play 25 minutes/game?

Chorney--Jones. Smaller pair, both have been very steady at earlier levels.

Finley--Radke. Plenty of talent here, but maybe more erratic.

Alexander--Marvin.

Those don't look bad, although I have to wonder whether Kozek will be on either of the top two lines let alone the first line. I think that either Porter or Stafford (I realize that left wing may not be his natural position) may round that line out better. Who knows?

with the way stafford-spirko-zajac clicked at the end of last year i say keep them together.

stafford-zajac-spirko

porter-toews-oshie (porter will get an assist before feb on this line)

prpich-fabian-(kaip or marvin)

kozek-duncan-watkins

defense-

your pairs look alright. i have a feeling finley is going to be a slow, poor penalty machine for most of the year.

with the way stafford-spirko-zajac clicked at the end of last year i say keep them together.

stafford-zajac-spirko

kozek-duncan-watkins

defense-

your pairs look alright. i have a feeling finley is going to be a slow, poor penalty machine for most of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with these lines. I had the same thing about a month or two ago on another thread. I think that Kaip will center Prp and Fabian though. My D pairings were Greene?-Jones, Smaby-Radke, and Chorney-Lee but that may have to change with the supposed departure of Greene.

Those don't look bad, although I have to wonder whether Kozek will be on either of the top two lines let alone the first line.  I think that either Porter or Stafford (I realize that left wing may not be his natural position) may round that line out better.  Who knows?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your comments make sense. My wild guesses are based on a hunch that the coaching staff may want to spread some of the rookies across all of the lines. The Sioux will have so many frosh that doing this may require having a couple of new guys on the top two lines. Lots of Sioux freshmen have played on the top two lines in recent years, including guys like Bayda, Bochenski, Parise, Murray, Zajac, and Spirko. It's not crystal clear who might be ready to do that from among this year's group. Toews and Oshie have first line talent, but Toews is 17, and Oshie has very little experience beyond Minnesota HS. I guessed Kozek because he played 2 years in the BCHL, produced big, and the pros like him enough to make him a 2nd round draft choice.

Smaby--Lee.  Is Lee ready to play 25 minutes/game?

Alexander--Marvin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What happens is Matt Smaby leaves? I think we'll be very, very happy that Sioux forwards appear capable of scoring a LOT of goals.

What happens is Matt Smaby leaves? I think we'll be very, very happy that Sioux forwards appear capable of scoring a LOT of goals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that would be disastrous IMHO. It would be tough to bring in another player now as a replacement, but maybe a remote chance for someone like a Kyle Hardwick???

Wow, that would be disastrous IMHO. It would be tough to bring in another player now as a replacement, but maybe a remote chance for someone like a Kyle Hardwick???

IMO, I doubt there would be much value to bringing in a defenseman at this time to replace Smaby, should he leave. I wouldn't expect there are too many good defensemen available that could really help the team this year. And picking up a body now to fill a spot might reduce the options for great players you could add next year. Therefore, my guess would be to get by with what is available.

That, and how many defensemen do we REALLY want in 1 class?

It's nice to see that several of the incoming Sioux rookies are highly regarded prospects. We all know how young our d-corps will be and with the departure of Murray, I'd guess that 2 or 3 freshman forwards will need to be worked into the top 2 lines. I'm hoping that at least 2 of Toews, Kozek, and Oshie can pull it off.

Forwards: (assuming no more departures)

Kozek--Zajac--Spirko.  Lots of skill. Big 2-way center with 2 smaller wings.

Porter--Toews--Stafford.  17 year-old center with 2 big experienced wings.

Prpich--Watkins--Kaip.  A checking/grind line. Watkins bring some speed and skill.

Fabian--Oshie--Duncan.  Fabian does the dirty work for the talented rookies.

Others: Martens--Miller--Foyt

Smaby--Lee.  Is Lee ready to play 25 minutes/game?

Alexander--Marvin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about Kozek, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oshie was up in the first or second line. Then again, I don't know much about the strategy that goes into making up lines, but I think the kid's got talent and guts.

Not sure about Kozek, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oshie was up in the first or second line.  Then again, I don't know much about the strategy that goes into making up lines, but I think the kid's got talent and guts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I'll be surprised if Oshie isn't on one of the top two lines most of the year.

stafford-zajac-spirko

kozek-duncan-watkins

defense-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After reflection, I like your lines better than mine. :ohmy:

That third line could be a very good grind line. The fourth line would be all frosh, but very, very dynamic.

I hope the "Oshie" bandwagon is moving slow enough for everyone to jump on now. A year ago there were questions about his skating ability just months ago people were wondering why they would bring him here and that he would need a year in the USHL, and that if he came here he would be wasting a year of eligibilty and would be fighting for limited playing time. Now there's talk about him being a first or second liner, I'm probably going to get flamed big time for this, I just find it a funny little ironic turn of events. :ohmy:

I think you keep Spirko-Zajac-Stafford together and make a mirror image line in Porter-Toews-Duncan.Then you make an all freshman line of Kozek-Oshie-Watkins and Oshie stays in his natural position of center,Kozek the scorer and Watkins the speedster to cause havoc on the fore-check.The checking line of Fabian-Kaip-Prpic would be the checking line(Red Pepper grinder line).Defense pairings of Lee-Chorney Smaby-Finley Jones-Radke.The Toews line and Oshie line could be either 2nd or 3rd line on any given night

I hope the "Oshie" bandwagon is moving slow enough for everyone to jump on now.  A year ago there were questions about his skating ability just months ago people were wondering why they would bring him here and that he would need a year in the USHL, and that if he came here he would be wasting a year of eligibilty and would be fighting for limited playing time. Now there's talk about him being a first or second liner, I'm probably going to get flamed big time for this, I just find it a funny little ironic turn of events. :ohmy:

In defense of said people, the majority of posters here and elsewhere get their information on the majority of players by what they read on the internet or at best by limited viewing on TV or occasional live performances.

While I can agree that anyone portraying such opinion as fact is off-base, it's not surprising that in the face of new information those opinions might be readjusted.

dagies is right on here. myself like all others get info on message boards like this or just other sites. you are obviously a huge oshie fan which im sure we all will be as well if we are not already..not everyone will agree 110% with you every issue with oshie...we all don't know him personally or get to watch him play on a nightly basis so some posters info is based on what they hear around the grapevine..i can't wait for oshie to lace the skates up with teows and duncan this season...just hope you don't post "i told you so" every time tj does something good which relates to someones post on this site, which im sure he will do many times in the next couple years..

Spirko Zajac Stafford

Kozek Toews Porter

Prpich Kaip Fabian

Watkins Oshie Duncan

Martens Foyt Miller

Smaby Radke

Chorney Lee

Finley Jones

Marvin Alexander

* Chorney and Lee have played together a lot so it would help putting them together at the start of the season.

Just for fun... :ohmy:

Let's put Sparky, Watkins, & Duncan together. We can call them the "no-see-ums." They could be like a line from the original Nintendo Ice Hockey game where you could pick all little fast guys. Plus if you have last line change, you could put them in against another teams slower lines and watch the highlight reel develop.