SiouxSports.com Forum

Finley picks UND for 05'

Siouxhockey03

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good signing if true...how tall will he be on skates..wow...6'7 233 lbs..

by the way has anyone here seen him play live?

18 freshman ??

That makes 18 freshman? wow we have alot but hes a good one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like it's true. From ROI:

In early June, Sioux Falls defenseman Joe Finley earned senior high school status. Come August 1st, he'll graduate from high school, and four weeks later, he'll enter college. After an exhaustive process, the 6-7, 240 pound native of Edina, Minn., will do so at the University of North Dakota.

"There were some great choices out there, but you look at North Dakota's tradition, and you see they love big defensemen, and I think I can fit that mold," Finley told ROI Tuesday night. "I took my official visit there recently, and I had a chance to meet a lot of the guys, and see the campus. I just had the feeling this was the place I wanted to be."

Joe Finley

PROFILE:

Birthday:  Jun 29, 1987

Hometown:  Edina, MN

Position:  D

Height:  6-7

Weight:  240

D-I: North Dakota (WCHA/2005)

REGULAR SEASON

YEAR  TEAM  GP  G  A  PTS  +/-  PIM  PP  SH   

2004/2005  Sioux Falls  55  3  10  13  -18  181  2  0

Finley also considered Minnesota, which, like North Dakota, offered to bring him in this fall.

It has been an incredible summer for Finley to say the least. Not only has he been working on his degree by night, and working for his father's construction company by day, he and his family also had to deal with the unfortunate death of his 22 year-old cousin Jonathan, who passed away last weekend after a three-year bout with leukemia.

"He lived, and he fought hard," said Finley, "I will always remember him, and his courage."

As for Finley's course work, it's come via internet correspondence. His degree, however, will still come from his hometown Edina High School.

"It's been a whirlwind for sure," Finley said, "I knew what I had to do to get this all done, but sometimes I wasn't sure if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. But it looks like everything's going to fall in place, and in the end, it's been worth it."

With Finley in the fold, here's North Dakota's incoming class up to the minute, thanks to our colleague Chris Heisenberg and his NCAA recruiting website:

D Joe Finley (6/87, 6-7, 240, Sioux Falls-USHL)

D Todd Alexander (12/84, 5-11, 190, Fargo-NAHL)

D Zach Jones (1/87, 5-11, 175, US NTDP)

D Brian Lee (3/87, 6-2, 180, Moorhead HS)

D Taylor Chorney (4/87, 5-10, 170, Shattuck St. Mary's)

F Ryan Martens (3/85, 6-0, 170, Quesnel-BCJHL)

F Andrew Kozek (6/86, 5-11, 175, Surrey-BCJHL)

F Brad Miller (1/86, 5-10, 170, Green Bay-USHL)

F Jonathan Toews (4/88, 6-1, 180, Shattuck St. Mary's)

F Ryan Duncan (7/85, 5-6, 155, Salmon Arm-BCJHL)

F Matt Watkins (11/86, 5-10, 175, Vernon-BCHL)

F T.J. Oshie (12/86, 5-10, 165, Sioux Falls-USHL/Warroad HS)

It's nice to add another prototypical UND defenseman to the program. I'll take this as confirmation that Matt Greene is on his way to bigger things, although that may not be official for a while.

As to that gigantic list of freshmen, I'm a homer so of course I see good things this season. But I wouldn't blame an objective person if they looked at the list and predicted a rebuilding year. That's an awful lot of freshmen defensemen to be working into the WCHA.

And if your guess on Matt Greene is correct, the Sioux will likely be playing 4 freshmen defensemen and a sophomore who has limited experience in most games. That's not a foundation for high expectations IMO.

Assuming Greene is gone:

Marvin - Sr

Smaby - Jr

Foyt - Jr

Radke - So

Chorney - Fr

Jones - Fr

Lee - Fr

Finley - Fr

Alexander - Fr

It's nice to add another prototypical UND defenseman to the program.  I'll take this as confirmation that Matt Greene is on his way to bigger things, although that may not be official for a while. 

As to that gigantic list of freshman, I'm a homer so of course I see good things this season.  But I wouldn't blame an objective person if they looked at the list and predicted a rebuilding year.  That's an awful lot of freshmen defensemen to be working into the WCHA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no doubt that the coaches have been told by Greene that he intends to sign. We are going to have an incredibly inexperienced defense corps next year. There are going to be a lot of growing pains as these guys will need to produce immediately. I think it will play out much like Bochenski's signing where he is officially signed at the end of August after teams have finalized their rosters at the NHL level. Now next we need Dozak to sign for 06 and we will have twin towers back there.

Perhaps a dumb question but it makes me wonder if that with the huge recruiting class of 4 years ago and now this year, are we going to see huge freshman #'s every four years or is Hak going to be able to start balancing out the classes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would expect with the talent of this group of freshman that there will be some defections to the NHL after a few years which will lower the large number by a few, but there will still be one year where there is a large class. Looking at next year, you are looking at 2-3 seniors saying goodbye, and maybe Stafford and Zajac, Smaby. So that class will be small compared to this year, hopefully Hak can get the best talent in to fill those voids. I think it is stupid to expect to go through recruiting looking to fill 6- spots every year, its just not going to happen, it just something you have to deal with. But just imagine this group in a year or two, with Lamoreaux a more experienced junior or senior. Good things to come.

I would expect with the talent of this group of freshman that there will be some defections to the NHL after a few years which will lower the large number by a few, but there will still be one year where there is a large class. Looking at next year, you are looking at 2-3 seniors saying goodbye, and maybe Stafford and Zajac, Smaby. So that class will be small compared to this year, hopefully Hak can get the best talent in to fill those voids. I think it is stupid to expect to go through recruiting looking to fill 6- spots every year, its just not going to happen, it just something you have to deal with. But just imagine this group in a year or two, with Lamoreaux a more experienced junior or senior. Good things to come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't expect us to blow anyone away next season. Especially early in the season. However, like last year proved, all we need to do is to qualify for the NCAAs and then work from there. Ok, that sounds like a Lucia-tactic, but it is really what we are going to have to do.

Also, be prepared to have Phil and Jordy take a lot more shots than the last few years. This could worsen their GAA and save% a little bit.

I still think we can compete. I'm not going to say we'll win it all next year, but we'll definitely be in the mix for the next several years. They are inexperienced now, but when they are experienced...wooooooooweee... Watch out.

Would be nice to have a schedule like the gophers have this year just to help get the freshmen's feet wet and build up some confidence early. Might be a bad year to have to train in four freshman defensemen. Would rather play the gophers at home later in the season so they are already adjusted to the league. Would hate to see Phil Kessel take advantage of their early season tentativeness--because many would base how good the team is on that, just like they did when the gophers spanked the Sioux the second night in GF early last year.

Phil Kessel take advantage of their early season tentativeness...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already have a good deal of antipathy towards PK, which probably means he'll light up the Sioux every time he plays them, just to torture me. What I'd really love to see though, is for a Sioux player to knock him on his prima donna ass via a clean check every time he touches the puck.

So who has seen this guy play. I assume that he is physical, but can he skate? How is his passing, puck handling, and shot? Is he gangly and a work in progress given his size.

By the end of last season Smaby and Greene were both skating very fluid. I hope this monster will be the same way. At 6'7" this guy should be able to poke check from across the ice.

Freshmen class is growing larger by the minute; now up to 12. For comparison, here's the 11 member  2000/2001 class.  Four D in that class.

Hope this one sticks it out until they win #8 (or better yet, 8 and 9).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't ever remember Andy Krantz even lacing them up for UND.

Does anyone know about this one.

So who has seen this guy play.  I assume that he is physical, but can he skate?  How is his passing, puck handling, and shot?  Is he gangly and a work in progress given his size.

By the end of last season Smaby and Greene were both skating very fluid.  I hope this monster will be the same way.  At 6'7" this guy should be able to poke check from across the ice.

I have no personal info but here's a snippet from a recent Research On Ice report on Finley. You've gotta like his attitude. (Thanks to Schmittdoggydog for posting this first and recommending this service).

The view from Chicago's Sears Tower is quite impressive.

The one from atop Joe Finley isn't bad either.

A sprawling 6-7 and 240 pounds--the former thanks to genetics, the latter from his tireless work in the weight room-- Finley, the Sioux Falls Stampede defenseman and Edina, MN., native, has all of college hockey abuzz.

"He is absolutely a fantastic prospect," says newly hired Stampede coach and GM Kevin Hartzell, who has seen plenty of Finley over the years while coaching on the Minnesota high school hockey scene. "It's really scary how good he could be. He has great hands, good feet, and he just keeps getting better."

So much better, in fact, that while only 17 years of age, Finley may well be suiting up for a D-I club this fall. A junior, he's been accelerating his studies while attending Sioux Falls Roosevelt High School this year, and come early June, he's hoping to achieve high school senior status. With some extra course work, he could easily find himself a high school graduate and ready for college by summer's end.

"The idea of accelerating had been on my mind for some time," says Finley, who played for two seasons at Edina High School under the guidance of Hornets' head coach and 14 year NHL veteran defenseman Curt Giles. "I know it takes mental maturity to do this, and I've been working hard in the classroom and also on the ice." 

To this point, it's all been paying off.  "He can play almost any type of game," Hartzell adds, "I've seen him play a very intimidating type of game, and I've also seen him more skilled, by moving his feet and really handling the puck."

While well aware of his talents, Finley immediately defers to those like Giles for helping him arrive at the rarefied spot on which he now stands.

"Coach Giles has such a great track record, I learned so much from a guy with that type of experience," says Finley. "He's a great teacher and friend of his players. He'd remind me that while I was 6-6 and 200 pounds (when I played for him), I was young and had a lot to learn. He coaches the physical type of game because that's how he played. Foot work, moving the puck, and making the right first pass. That's what he stressed."

What of Finley for 2005-06? There's plenty of possibilities. Minnesota and North Dakota are expressing heavy interest, as are eastern schools such as Boston University. And there's always a chance he could come back to Sioux Falls and play for Hartzell, someone for whom Finley has great respect.

"I haven't known him that well, but I'm getting to know him," Finley says, "like coach Giles, I've seen something out of the ordinary that sets him aside. He's passionate about doing what's best for his players. He has great support for me, and wants what's best for me, be it Sioux Falls or college next year." 

For the moment, Finley isn't worried so much about when he'll get to D-I as he is about what he needs to do to be effective once he gets there. "All I want is to be a guy who plays and not sitting on the bench. Right now, all my focus is on continuing my development, because I know better years are only ahead of me. I just need to keep practicing, improving my foot work, and keep weight lifting."

Honest and direct is Finley's approach to the game. It's the same off the ice. "Hockey is a game of ups and downs. Staying level is something I think I'm known to do. If I'm up, I've got people to bring me back down, and when I'm down, I've no problem coming to a coach, like a man, and speaking openly, and hoping to get an honest answer. In the locker room," Finley continues, "I don't get too up or down, but if I see things going in the wrong direction, I'm not afraid to open my mouth, because accountability is something I value greatly."

Honesty, hard work and athleticism bleed through Finley's family. His father runs a construction company and coaches girls basketball, while his sister, Kelly Finley, just completed her freshman year of college basketball at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. Says Joe of his sister: "She's a brain, and she's a good athlete."

Sounds like brother and sister are a lot alike. 

Interesting Sioux connection in this article from some time ago:

Joe Finley/Rick Zombo The Heartland Eagles selected Finley with the 10th pick in the USHL 2003 underage draft. When the team dispersed, Sioux Falls selected Finley #1 in that dispersal draft, for what that is worth. The interesting thing is that all the other players selected had actually played USHL hockey. Finley was still in high school.

i guess my (mr. kessel meet mr. greene) will have to change to keep your head up or meet mr. finley....will be fun to see a player of his size and skill skate. finley 6'7 and smaby 6'5 are some big trees..