SiouxSports.com Forum

Why do they say this at games?

GrahamKracker

"UND is home of the Fighting Sioux. UND officially adopted the name of the Fighting Sioux in the 1930s to honor the American Indian tribes of the state. We ask that you cheer your team to victory and exhibit good sportsmanship, as well as respect for the American Indians and their rich culture and heritage."

A. The Sioux are only some of the Indian people of this state, I bet you can't name the other tribes.

B. What does hockey have to do with our rich Native American culture and heritage?

C. 1930's? How many Natives attended this school back then? When did the first Native (and was he/she Sioux) attend this school?

D. How can you say cheer your team to victory when we lose like we do, even though we have the most high tech, bestest(sic), fastest players, on the planet?

E. Do you really think that the way the players play has ANYTHING to do with the logo? Do you think that they would be less if they were something...oh, like a Pioneer/Gopher/Husky....or something that doesn't offend a Nation? I don't think so.

F. Do you really think that Kupchella wants to be here, where he has no power? Maybe we should become the Fighting Bevs.....she's seems to have the biggest kahunas of them all.

Fire away oh great defenders of the Sioux.......

The change the nickname movement has been dead for quite awhile.. why?........

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforkshe...ion/2808472.htm

The answer is they are not - or at least a majority of Indian respondents told Sports Illustrated's surveyors that they're not offended by Indian team names or the Atlanta Braves' "tomahawk chop."

Why is that news a "body blow"? Because it shrinks nickname opponents' constituency. Opponents can't claim that the nicknames offend Indians or even a majority of Indians. Instead, the claim now can be only about 20 percent to 30 percent of Indians want professional teams (including the Washington Redskins) to stop using Indian nicknames.

"UND is home of the Fighting Sioux. UND officially adopted the name of the Fighting Sioux in the 1930s to honor the American Indian tribes of the state. We ask that you cheer your team to victory and exhibit good sportsmanship, as well as respect for the American Indians and their rich culture and heritage."

A.  The Sioux are only some of the Indian people of this state, I bet you can't name the other tribes.

B.  What does hockey have to do with our rich Native American culture and heritage? 

C.  1930's?  How many Natives attended this school back then?  When did the first Native (and was he/she Sioux) attend this school?

D.  How can you say cheer your team to victory when we lose like we do, even though we have the most high tech, bestest(sic), fastest players, on the planet? 

E.  Do you really think that the way the players play has ANYTHING to do with the logo?  Do you think that they would be less if they were something...oh, like a Pioneer/Gopher/Husky....or something that doesn't offend a Nation?  I don't think so.

F.  Do you really think that Kupchella wants to be here, where he has no power?  Maybe we should become the Fighting Bevs.....she's seems to have the biggest kahunas of them all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do they say this at games? Plain and simple. To let people know what UND's offical sports teams nickname is. To let people know when they officially adopted it and why.

A.  The Sioux are only some of the Indian people of this state, I bet you can't name the other tribes.

B.  What does hockey have to do with our rich Native American culture and heritage? 

C.  1930's?  How many Natives attended this school back then?  When did the first Native (and was he/she Sioux) attend this school?

D.  How can you say cheer your team to victory when we lose like we do, even though we have the most high tech, bestest(sic), fastest players, on the planet? 

E.  Do you really think that the way the players play has ANYTHING to do with the logo?  Do you think that they would be less if they were something...oh, like a Pioneer/Gopher/Husky....or something that doesn't offend a Nation?  I don't think so.

F.  Do you really think that Kupchella wants to be here, where he has no power?  Maybe we should become the Fighting Bevs.....she's seems to have the biggest kahunas of them all.

A. Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara (Three Affiliated Tribes); Chippewa (aka Ojibwe, aka Ashinabe (sp)), as well as a couple branches of the Oseti Sakowin (aka Sioux).

B. "We ask that you cheer your team to victory and exhibit good sportsmanship, as well as respect for the American Indians and their rich culture and heritage."

C. I'm not the Registrar.

D. "The best team doesn't always win." -- Brendan Morrison, University of Michigan, 2000.

E.

"Asked if high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames, 81% of Native American respondents said no."

Source: Peter Harris Research Group, Inc., as reported in Sports Illustrated, March 4, 2002, page 69.

Methodology: The pollsters interviewed 351 Native Americans (217 living on reservations, 134 living off). The responses were weighted according to US census figures for age, race, gender, and the distribution of Native Americans living on and off reservations.

Margin of error: Plus or minus 4 percent.

A poll of American Indians found that an overwhelming majority of them are not bothered by the name of the Washington Redskins pro football team.

Only 9 percent of those polled said the name is "offensive," while 90 percent said it's acceptable, according to the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, released Friday. -- Source: Associated Press, September 24, 2004

F. I don't know. I'm not Dr. Kupchella.

This was actually writen by a Sioux Native American, who also did the video that goes along with it. In fact I believe he does most of those cool videos of the Sioux hockey team.

Not that any of this matters to grahamkracker (what is that suppose to mean by the way) but I thought I would throw it out there.

In fact, it was a Native American that designed the logo, Native Americans that designed the sculpture outside of the arena and a Native American that wrote the verse. If so many Native Americans want the name changed, somebody better tell these guys that they don't have a right to have a mind of their own.

I love how these activist love to take shots at an easy target instead of really tackling the *Real* issues affecting Native Americans today, like Alcoholism, povertry, obesity, diabetes, and lack of utilities on a lot of reservations. How come they don't seem so fired up about those issues but have all the time in the world to attack team nicknames. Even if UND goes back to the Flickertails or whatever, is it really going to change anything for Native Americans? I like to see how thats possiable. Besides, even if UND did change the name right now, their opponents will still likely chant things like "Sioux Suck" and other Native American referances for the next ten years. ;)

I would like to extend in invitation to this guy to come on up and discuss this issue at length me myself and and the many Native American friends that I have. It would be really easy to get down to his level but I won't give him the satisfaction. My offer stands I can be found before and after most hockey games at some of the local watering holes, just come on up and we'll discuss it, you might feel better.

Back in the mid 1980's one of my suite mates was a Native American. Phil Young was his name. Great guy. Not sure why a 45-50 year old was living in Walsh with the rest of us but he fit right in. Anyway, I recall clearly that he liked the nickname. And while one man doesn't speak for a whole community, that carries a lot of weight with me.

I love how these activist love to take shots at an easy target instead of really tackling the *Real* issues affecting Native Americans today, like Alcoholism, povertry, obesity, diabetes, and lack of utilities on a lot of reservations.  How come they don't seem so fired up about those issues but have all the time in the world to attack team nicknames.  Even if UND goes back to the Flickertails or whatever, is it really going to change anything for Native Americans?  I like to see how thats possiable.  Besides, even if UND did change the name right now, their opponents will still likely chant things like "Sioux Suck" and other Native American referances for the next ten years.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more with bigmrg. The only thing is that if we need to remove all Native references from UND, then we need to change the state name also. Since Dakota is a tribal name, then we need to be called the University of North Fighting or UNF. The states name would be changed to North. The town of Lakota would no longer have a name. Sioux City would need to be changed to City, the same with Sioux Falls. This would obviously solve all the problems that Native Americans are facing today.

I guess the good thing is that most Native Americans, including a few who are part of my family know that a nickname is the least of the problems facing today's tribes. Activists like "GrahamKrackhead" are a minority when it comes to speaking out about "causes".

I love how these activist love to take shots at an easy target instead of really tackling the *Real* issues affecting Native Americans today, like Alcoholism, povertry, obesity, diabetes, and lack of utilities on a lot of reservations.  How come they don't seem so fired up about those issues but have all the time in the world to attack team nicknames.  Even if UND goes back to the Flickertails or whatever, is it really going to change anything for Native Americans?  I like to see how thats possiable.  Besides, even if UND did change the name right now, their opponents will still likely chant things like "Sioux Suck" and other Native American referances for the next ten years.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's this have to do with the Indians wanting to change the Sioux nickname. Just because reservations face other issues doesn't mean some Natives shouldn't express their opinions on the nickname and instead worry about other things.

Should the police stop ticketing marijuana paraphernalia, speeding, and parking because those are "easy targets" when they should instead be really tackling the *Real* issues like Rape & Murder?

Should the police stop ticketing marijuana paraphernalia, speeding, and parking because those are "easy targets" when they should instead be really tackling the *Real* issues like Rape & Murder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that idea. See what you can do!

Lolololol,

Wow, the ignorance, I think it is absolutely crazy how you all think. we are discussing the Sioux Name here on campus, right? Why are you making reference to all of the names of the town and states? I've given you the facts, and those facts state that a majority of the Sioux Tribes have passed resolutions against the use of the name here, plain and simple. I could care less about a 1/8th hockey player (if he was trying to get into my tribe, he wouldn't qualify w/ that quantum) who likes the name or the use of Dakota in the states here, I am simply addressing the issues here on campus.

If its such an honor, why is there no mascot?

If its such an honor, why doesn't this University "brag" up the FS crap in the tribal college magazines it advertises in?

If its such an honor, why did RR change their name? and Stanford? And all of the other 100's of schools across the country?

By the way, if you'd like to discuss this, I'm usually at AISS, (American Indian Student Services for those Sioux that aren't really Sioux), come on by and chat. I don't drink, nor do I give money to Engelstad, so unfortunately I can't meet you at the games, maybe next fall you can come and visit us protesting outside, I'd love to talk to you about these issues. Hetche to yelo

grahamcracker what a shame that you are missing out on some of your college experience by harboring some much animosity, now not everyone is a hockey fan, but don't you think your time would be better spent doing something positive instead of trying to incite people and bring more dishonor to yourself.

Lolololol,

Wow, the ignorance, I think it is absolutely crazy how you all think. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know, GrahamKracker, by lumping every person that posts on this board into one group, you are participating in the same type of ignorance and bias that you work so hard to end.

Your posts say "you" think this and "you" do that. You don't know me. You are making assumptions and by doing so you are behaving like those horrible ignorant folks who believe stereotypes represent an entire group.

I think it is great that you are willing to fight for your beliefs, even if I don't share some of your opinions. People without passion are empty souls. However, please stop disrespecting me by assuming that you know what I think and feel.

I have to agree with DaveK on this deal, why attend such an evil institution when you obviously have such strong personal, and moral issues like you do, it must be just a terrible awful ordeal for you on a daily basis. I don't know how you do it, unless of course you attend the university for little or no cost, in which case that would make you nothing but a hypocrit with zero credibility, I'm sure that you have accomplished all that you set out to do by starting this thread, but you'll never convince anyone you are right going about it they way that you choose to do. Maybe you should enroll at St. Cloud State, you might get a little more sympathy from all of the other martyrs, do-gooders, and champions of truth and justice. By the way, Davek make sure you keep everyone posted as to times and places of your official "Protest to the Protest". I am sure that you can get many of us there to help the cause.

GrahamKracker:

If you don't like the name, don't go to school at UND. It's as simple as that. As with anything else in life, you have a choice. Nobody is forcing you to give your money to an institution that has a name you don't agree with. You have to realize that those of us who love our Fighting Sioux are entitled to it, and there will be bad feelings towards your people where there previously had not been any if the name were to be changed. Changing the name would upset 99% of the population just to make 1% stop their whining. That really doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm sorry if you think it's offensive, but you're dead wrong. You don't name a sports team after something that you want to mock and ridicule, you name it after something you can be proud of... something that is strong and honorable. Now I'm just dying to know your feelings about the city of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Does their name offend you? Be consistent now. You can't have it both ways. If you're going to be a crybaby about the University of North Dakota, you might as well be a crybaby about the city of Sioux Falls. I have no sympathy for people who are offended by the name. To be brutally honest... I am offended by the fact that the name offends you. Maybe I should come and protest one of your protests someday. How would you like that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is obvious you haven't heard anything I said since I signed up in this homo..geneous site. I think this school is a good school. Unfortunately its plagued with this name that it not theirs in the first place. Is that the solution then? Just go away? Wow, why didn't I think of that! Maybe we should have told the British that during the formation of this country. Maybe during the Civil war we should have told the blacks "if you don't like it, why don't you....well, that wouldn't have worked because they were slaves....", but you know, throughout history, there have been many wrongs that at the time didn't seem wrong. Geez, what's wrong with slaves? What's wrong with women not being able to vote? Why do those Indians think they have to be citizens of this country? All of these attitudes were felt by the majority of the YT's in this country back in the day, and after seeing the old KKK fart that just got sentenced on the news, I see that some people still feel that way about people with different skin color.

Again, who cares about Sioux Falls, they aren't making a mockery of our name. Besides, there are a heck of a lot more Lakota/Dakota in Sioux Falls than at UND. Geez, I wonder why.

And.....again, I do not go to school here for free....just another stereotype the majority have against the minority.

I have to agree with DaveK on this deal, why attend such an evil institution when you obviously have such strong personal, and moral issues like you do, it must be just a terrible awful ordeal for you on a daily basis.  I don't know how you do it, unless of course you attend the university for little or no cost, in which case that would make you nothing but a hypocrit with zero credibility, I'm sure that you have accomplished all that you set out to do by starting this thread, but you'll never convince anyone you are right going about it they way that you choose to do.  Maybe you should enroll at St. Cloud State, you might get a little more sympathy from all of the other martyrs, do-gooders, and champions of truth and justice.  By the way, Davek make sure you keep everyone posted as to times and places of your official "Protest to the Protest".  I am sure that you can get many of us there to help the cause.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, that just might work, going to SCSU. At least there I don't have to worry about people that are honoring me not wanting me there....lol, have you heard yourself lately? "We're honoring you, and if you don't like it, LEAVE"......lolol,..you are right about SCSU though, I recently got a letter from their president thanking me for keeping up the fight. At least their President has a spine.

It is obvious you haven't heard anything I said since I signed up in this homo..geneous site. I think this school is a good school. Unfortunately its plagued with this name that it not theirs in the first place. Is that the solution then? Just go away? Wow, why didn't I think of that! Maybe we should have told the British that during the formation of this country. Maybe during the Civil war we should have told the blacks "if you don't like it, why don't you....well, that wouldn't have worked because they were slaves....", but you know, throughout history, there have been many wrongs that at the time didn't seem wrong. Geez, what's wrong with slaves? What's wrong with women not being able to vote? Why do those Indians think they have to be citizens of this country? All of these attitudes were felt by the majority of the YT's in this country back in the day, and after seeing the old KKK fart that just got sentenced on the news, I see that some people still feel that way about people with different skin color.

Again, who cares about Sioux Falls, they aren't making a mockery of our name. Besides, there are a heck of a lot more Lakota/Dakota in Sioux Falls than at UND. Geez, I wonder why.

And.....again, I do not go to school here for free....just another stereotype the majority have against the minority.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always did think that UND having the Fighting Sioux nickname was the same as slavery. Thank's for finally pointing it out. You know what, you forgot to mention the Holocaust too in your argument. :silly: