SiouxSports.com Forum

Student Hockey Seats May Go

Lobo

Once again, the students -- especially the true student hockey fans -- are being horribly represented by their elected officials. As long as the focus remains on allowing the students to stand and swear, the bad behavior will continue and the complaints will continue.

This proposed solution solves nothing. In fact, it only makes the situation worse.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, the students -- especially the true student hockey fans -- are being horribly represented by their elected officials. As long as the focus remains on allowing the students to stand and swear, the bad behavior will continue and the complaints will continue.

This proposed solution solves nothing. In fact, it only makes the situation worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, I don't see how some people think that moving students even closer to the opposing teams goalie for a good chunk of the game will cut down on profanity. If students are right on top of the opposing goalie, we will all hear swearing like never before.

Maybe I am less sensitive than most middle-aged people (PCM, you can be the arbiter), but I would rather sit among an enthusiastic student section (even with the swearing, and maybe with the standing, IF I were in the very front row) than with the dead-a$$e$ who I sit with now. The solution as I understand it attempts to address the standing question (presumably resolved because standing students will still be below standing drinkers in the lounge who are higher up in the arena) and the swearing question (the band will drown out the cursing). Even if it works as intended, it is more band-aid than brilliant solution. And PCM is right: the solution doesn't change bad student behavior at all, it just attempts to ameloriate its effect on the rest of the arena.

I just do not see this proposal getting very far. I'm not sure how increasing student seats is going to solve some of the "problems" and "issues" that Kupchella is concerned about.

Can someone tell me how many times the student section was totally filled with student this last season? I'm guessing the answer to that is zero.

I'm definitely for having students sit in the lower bowl, but I just do not see how increasing their seats is going to alleviate some of the concerns.

To my knowledge, the two sections behind the opposing goaltender (2 of 3 periods anyhow) are the Diamond Club seating.  These are BIG $$$ seats.

This isn't saying that the Diamond Club cannot be moved to our sections and still be big $$$ seats, but I am not so sure they will be willing to move.

I really don't see anyone standing up for the students now that Kupchella doesn't have anyone in the AD to stand up for us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its never going to happen their prime $$ seats and cost a lot of money to sit there, I believe that you have to pay 1000.00 just to sit there. I doubt business like the Columbia Mall are just going to give up their seats to accomidate the Students.

Moving the students to an area where they can stand and not obscure anyone else's view of the game makes sense. Moving the band nearer to the student section makes sense. Moving the band so they can drown out vulgar language does not make sense. The problem, I thought, was the vulgar language, not the number of seats the students have or where the band is located.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction of the season ticket holders in sections 104 and 105 is going to be if they are told they have to give up those seats. I know people who sit there who have been season ticket holders for over two decades and requested those seats. Seems to me they are going to be the ones penalized for the students continued use of vulgar language and the season ticket holder's longevity and loyalty is going to be ignored.

Leave the students where they are, move the band above them, play a video before each period banning the use of vulgar language and the penalties for disregarding the ban, enforce the penalties and let's play hockey!

The proposal does not address the profanity etc. but it would address the standing issue that seems to bother so many people.

From what I've seen the lower bowl student section is always full. The upper bowl sections are filled only at the Minnesota games. Most times there is an entire section that is empty.

The talk has been about how these are prime seats. At most hockey arenas the prime seats are on the sides and up about 10-12 rows. You will probably get some of the season ticket holders mad because they like watching the game from the ends of the ice, but I think you could get them to move.

I'm guessing that the student reps proposed 103,104,105, and 106 and then 306 and 306 A.

They're not going to get more seats in the lower bowl than they have now. But I bet they could get 104,105,106, and 306 and 306A and 307.

So if the season ticket holders who have those seats are willing to move, would the sections I mentioned above be that bad?

Moving the band so they can drown out vulgar language does not make sense.

Yup.

If students are right on top of the opposing goalie, we will all hear swearing like never before.

History says this is the most likely scenario.

As long as the focus remains on allowing the students to stand and swear, the bad behavior will continue and the complaints will continue.

Yup, yup, and yup.

I would rather sit among an enthusiastic student section ... than with the dead-a$$e$ who I sit with now.

I whole-heartedly agree with what I exactly quoted. I'll take the group from Columbus (enthusiastics and good-taste language) representing my alma mater, thank you.

Even if it works as intended, it is more band-aid than  brilliant solution.  And PCM is right: the solution doesn't change bad student behavior at all, it just attempts to ameloriate its effect on the rest of the arena.

Yup, and of course "PCM" is right. :glare:

I just do not see this proposal getting very far.  I'm not sure how increasing student seats is going to solve some of the "problems" and "issues" that Kupchella is concerned about.

Exactly.

Now, thinking they'll get four in the lower and two in the upper is madness. Those are money seats. I predict if the students do somehow get four in the lower they'll have no sections in the upper because UND/REA will need to sell those additional upper sections to make up for the lost revenues from more students in the lower.

One more thought: Woe to the new AD who has to, on his first day on the job, explain to Varsity, Captains, and Coaches FSC members (who probably picked those seats because they like the corner view of the rink) that they have to move to new seats so the students can stand and swear.

So if the season ticket holders who have those seats are willing to move, would the sections I mentioned above be that bad?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't sit there, but I'm thinking they are not going to want to move. If they were forced to move, what percentage of those ticket holders would renew their tickets to sit in the upper bowl? Would they be willing to "donate" to the FSC at the same level they do now? I highly doubt that either.

Now, thinking they'll get four in the lower and two in the upper is madness. Those are money seats. I predict if the students do somehow get four in the lower they'll have no sections in the upper because UND/REA will need to sell those additional upper sections to make up for the lost revenues from more students in the lower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking the same thing. If and I say if, they were to get 4 sections in the lower bowl, I would think that they would lose their sections up top also.

Moving the students to an area where they can stand and not obscure anyone else's view of the game makes sense. Moving the band nearer to the student section makes sense. Moving the band so they can drown out vulgar language does not make sense. The problem, I thought, was the vulgar language, not the number of seats the students have or where the band is located. 

It will be interesting to see what the reaction of the season ticket holders in  sections 104 and 105 is going to be if they are told they have to give up those seats.  I know people who sit there who have been season ticket holders for over two decades and requested those seats. Seems to me they are going to be the ones penalized for the students continued use of vulgar language and the season ticket holder's longevity and loyalty is going to be ignored.

Leave the students where they are, move the band above them, play a video before each period banning the use of vulgar language and the penalties for disregarding the ban, enforce the penalties and let's play hockey!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am a season ticket holder in sec 105 since the openng of the REA and had season tickets in the same end at the old Ralph for over 20 yrs. I don't want to give them up. Moving students to 104 & 105 doesn't solve anything. The standing problem interferes with sight lines of suite holders and there are suites behind 104 & 105. What makes sense to alleviate the standing problem is to move all student seats to 306-310, and then their standing only obstructs the view of other students. The profanity issue is not going to be solved merely by moving people around.

First off, I highly doubt that this will happen. Second, to say that moving seats increases swearing is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Third, swearing and problematic behavior was addressed with the video idea. All students would be warned, and then the seats could be taken away. Again, this plan will not happen anyway. I am just surprised by some of the comments people make here. :glare:

The season ticket holders' in those sections were given the choice to sit anywhere in the arena when it first opened and they chose to sit in those sections. Why would they be willing to move? As I said before, they are fans who have had their season tickets AND have used them for over two decades. Why would they be willing to give them up to a student just so that student can swear at the opposing goalie and have the band drown them out so no one will, supposedly, hear the swearing? Since my seats are on the opposite side, I can tell you that those season ticket holders seats are filled most of the time when compared to the student sections which are not filled as often.

GIVE THE STUDENTS THE SEATS!

Anything to liven the crowd up and help the atmosphere in Englestad.

Point is, no solution is going to make everyone happy.

Didn't NDSU used to have the student section in a really crappy place in the FargoDope, and they moved it?

*shrugs*

EDITED TO ADD: If the people in those sections don't want to renew their tickets because they are moved to center ice, there are people waiting in line to buy their tickets.

Some radio announcers were discussing the seating issue -- just general banter -- one question was that if the the students receive the south-end seating section, then would the alumni assoc. (box) consent to being moved/(swap suites) to that south-end should one of the current south-end suite holder(s) not want to be by the students --

I don't sit there, but I'm thinking they are not going to want to move. If they were forced to move, what percentage of those ticket holders would renew their tickets to sit in the upper bowl? Would they be willing to "donate" to the FSC at the same level they do now? I highly doubt that either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But what I was thinking is they move the people from 104 and 105 to 108 and 109. That still leaves a number of seats left in 108 and 109 since those sections are bigger than 104 and 105. The problem is 103 or 106 if they move the students down. Expecially 106 since there is handicapped seating there.

I'm guessing adminsitration would be fine only giving the students 104 and 105 below and then sections 303, 306, and 306A in the upper bowl. Possibly even 302A. That probably reduces the overall total number of student seats buta it opens up the prime upper bowl sections on the sides of the arenas.

So I'm guessing you could get the two end sections of season ticket holders to move but you'd have a heck of a time trying to move a lower bowl season ticket holder to the upper bowl.

After further review here's what is more likely to happen:

Kuppchella continues to hear complaints.

People get tired of profanity and standing.

Final solution is to move all students out of the lower bowl and put them in the upper bowl in sections 306 and 306A.

They then have an entire side of the arena in sections 306-310A

Do I like this solution? NO. Because the students add fervor and noise and take away a lot of the corporate atmosphere that came when we moved into an arena that seats 11,500.

Any other options?

I have been a daily frequenter of this board for about three years now and have rarely posted but this topic is important to me. I am all for cracking down on swearing in the student section especially the f-bomb. I could care less if they throw us out for it. And I have become used to sitting down when we did it(sometimes) the first two years. However, I had the luxury of sitting upperbowl everygame this year and usually stood. Those rules don't bother me.

Also I think the seats we have are fine. The main problem with student seats I think is the way they are being distributed. The student section is becoming more like some of the rest of the sections of the arena. Many students go there simply to be seen and socialize. And I am not saying all sections and all non-student fans are like this because there is a large number, like everybody that frequents here, that loves hockey and is there for the game not because it is the place to be. I think seats should be distributed by students camping out for tickets. I don't think a lottery is fair to hockey fans who actually want to see the game. I would look down at the student section below me this year and 75% of them wouldn't even make it for player introductions. 2 years ago half the lower bowl was full for warm-ups. I think it could help if you get more of the dedicated fans in the lower bowl they will be more willing to follow the rules.

I know there are probably problems with this idea but I think it would help at least some. Feel free to rip away if you please.

GIVE THE  STUDENTS THE SEATS!

Anything to liven the crowd up and help the atmosphere in Englestad.

Point is, no solution is going to make everyone happy.

Didn't NDSU used to have the student section in a really crappy place in the FargoDope, and they moved it?

*shrugs*

EDITED TO ADD:  If the people in those sections don't want to renew their tickets because they are moved to center ice, there are people waiting in line to buy their tickets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Mom, but the point is that this is not a solution. Moving students to 104 & 105 doesn't solve any of the behavior problems. Generally speaking the people around me are knowledgeable hockey fans that stand and cheer at appropriate times, sing along to the national anthem, don't join in the inappropriate chants, etc, and want to sit in those sections. Trading any of us for hockey newbies on the waiting list won't contribute to a better atmosphere.

First off, I highly doubt that this will happen.  Second, to say that moving seats increases swearing is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.  Third, swearing and problematic behavior was addressed with the video idea.  All students would be warned, and then the seats could be taken away.  Again, this plan will not happen anyway.  I am just surprised by some of the comments people make here.  :glare:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, I agree that it probably won't happen.

Second, I'm not saying that moving the students to a new area will make the problem worse simply because of the area's location. I'm saying it will be worse because the message is sent that swearing wasn't permissible where the students were locacted, but it is permissible in a different area. How, exactly, does that solve the swearing problem? It doesn't solve a thing.

Third, the video idea is DOA. Everyone in the building is now warned that swearing is grounds for removal before each and every game. Everyone buys a ticket on which the warning is printed. To believe that a video will solve the problem is simply naive.

Third, the video idea is DOA. Everyone in the building is now warned that swearing is grounds for removal before each and every game. Everyone buys a ticket on which the warning is printed. To believe that a video will solve the problem is simply naive.

First, Why is the video idea DOA? The video regardig the Sioux name is watched and respected.

Second, Who reads their ticket? :glare: