SiouxSports.com Forum

Eating Crow

DamStrait

Just got back from Columbus and now that the season is over and I can say what obviously should have been said much earlier. I gave in to a superstition that had me believe that I would end the Sioux's hot streak if I wrote this before it was over.

Some of you may recall that I took leave of my senses following the Saturday game against (@) Anchorage, and stated that Hak should resign. Ummmm yaaaaa, nice call on my part. Needless to say, I'm more than a little red-faced over that one. What can I say, when I'm wrong, I'm REALLY wrong.

I realize that my credibility is now somewhat wanting, but as an alumnus of UND, I couldn't be more proud of the way the team and the coaching staff finished the season. Winning Saturday night would have been the icing on the cake, but as I said when I was calling for Hak's head on a stick, I wasn't expecting (or demanding) #8, I just wanted them to play like I felt they were capable of playing. Man, did they do that!

Anyway, I think I'll go through much more careful consideration before opening my trap again. Yes, I got exactly what many of you wanted me to get: A great big dose of 'shut-the-&%@#-up'.

Just got back from Columbus and now that the season is over and I can say what obviously should have been said much earlier.  I gave in to a superstition that had me believe that I would end the Sioux's hot streak if I wrote this before it was over.

Some of you may recall that I took leave of my senses following the Saturday game against (@) Anchorage, and stated that Hak should resign.  Ummmm yaaaaa, nice call on my part.  Needless to say, I'm more than a little red-faced over that one.  What can I say, when I'm wrong, I'm REALLY wrong. 

I realize that my credibility is now somewhat wanting, but as an alumnus of UND, I couldn't be more proud of the way the team and the coaching staff finished the season.  Winning Saturday night would have been the icing on the cake, but as I said when I was calling for Hak's head on a stick, I wasn't expecting (or demanding) #8, I just wanted them to play like I felt they were capable of playing.  Man, did they do that!

Anyway, I think I'll go through much more careful consideration before opening my trap again.  Yes, I got exactly what many of you wanted me to get:  A great big dose of 'shut-the-&%@#-up'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the team and the coaching staff deserved criticism at that point. Much to their credit they turned it around and the team played up to or even exceeded their potential.

The thing is, being subjected to criticism is part of coaching. I doubt Hakstol was surprised that some were critical of him when the team wasn't playing well. The expectations of Sioux fans and the local community are always high. Hakstol knew that when he took the job. I think he has handled the criticisim well by refusing to take pot-shots at his critics when given the opportunity to do so.

I've always said that the best way to prove your detractors wrong is by being right. That's exactly what Hakstol did.

Just got back from Columbus and now that the season is over and I can say what obviously should have been said much earlier.  I gave in to a superstition that had me believe that I would end the Sioux's hot streak if I wrote this before it was over.

Some of you may recall that I took leave of my senses following the Saturday game against (@) Anchorage, and stated that Hak should resign.  Ummmm yaaaaa, nice call on my part.  Needless to say, I'm more than a little red-faced over that one.  What can I say, when I'm wrong, I'm REALLY wrong. 

I realize that my credibility is now somewhat wanting, but as an alumnus of UND, I couldn't be more proud of the way the team and the coaching staff finished the season.  Winning Saturday night would have been the icing on the cake, but as I said when I was calling for Hak's head on a stick, I wasn't expecting (or demanding) #8, I just wanted them to play like I felt they were capable of playing.  Man, did they do that!

Anyway, I think I'll go through much more careful consideration before opening my trap again.  Yes, I got exactly what many of you wanted me to get:  A great big dose of 'shut-the-&%@#-up'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big of you to post this... Now I am interested in hearing mksioux's take on "growing it strong." ??? Notice the AA thread bump.

I think we all say some things we regret later, DamStrait. I noticed the bump on the AA series thread and wow, we had quite the go-round there ourselves (meaning you and me). I agree w/what someone else wrote earlier. Pretty big of you to post this. I think we can both agree that we're already looking forward to next season.

THe one thing I will say now is that, regardless of what happens next year, I think we'll know the quality of coaching staff we have after this season and know that, before we judge, we should wait until the end.

.500 record half way through the season to ending up runner up in the NC game. Wow. :lol:

Hello, my name is The Sicatoka and I'm here to munch some feathers at "The Crow Bar" with some of the rest of you.

When Mr. Hakstol was hired, due to the process by which he was hired, I made the comment that he would now face the "shortest leash ever".

During the season I was pretty sure that leash was tightening.

Now, however, Mr. Hakstol has added more than a few links into that chain.

Pass the ketchup.

I was also one who questioned the process although I will say I was not opposed to the actual hire and was willing to give the guy his fair shot.

Hakstol has shown that he was probably as good a choice as one might have expected to get. I suppose long term results prove the point but so far I can't see arguing the choice.

Being that I had publicly (at least on this site) questioned the process, I felt it right to send a congratulatory email to the coach last summer, explaining that while I was one who had preferred a different hiring process to be conducted, he had my support, for what that was worth. I was not opposed to the final selection regardless of my view of the process. I didn't want to be seen as critical at one point and backslapping him at another point down the road. It just seemed the right thing to do.

And I don't remember who asked this question earlier, but yes, I included my full name.

Having never had to eat crow myself, I have always wondered something . . . .

From where does the expression "eating crow" come?

When people "crow," or "bark" over things, and then have to eat, or swallow, their words?

Historical underpinnings? A cultural thing? I really don't know. 'Tis a great expression. I'd just like to know where, and how, it originated.

Having never had to eat crow myself, I have always wondered something . . . .

From where does the expression "eating crow" come?

When people "crow," or "bark" over things, and then have to eat, or swallow, their words?

Historical underpinnings?  A cultural thing?  I really don't know.  'Tis a great expression.  I'd just like to know where, and how, it originated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Google it, baybay...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&rls...gin&btnG=Search

Here's what I wrote Jan 15 2005: In the Hakstol's Post Card Thread:

This and other thread should not be posted. There is no reason. The season is half over. Wait two to three years to get his "report card." Yes, I am like many others am disappointed with this Sioux team, but ZPar and Bochenski meant a ton to this team, in both points and leadership. Some players still see Hakstol as an assistant coach and may not give him the respect he deserves so let those players graduate, so Dave can develop his system from the ground up.

There needs to be a systematic measure of success for Dave Hakstol, and I say if he doesn't either make the Frozen Four or win the WCHA within 3-4 years, he should be fired.

Looks like he took my advance and didn't want to get fired. :lol: