SiouxSports.com Forum

That's a relief!

PCM

If you missed WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod on the CSTV Live Chat, here's his response to a question about WCHA officiating in general and the Robbie Bina incident in particular. So enough with all the rhetoric out there, okay? :)

John (Eden Prairie): Congrats on an outstanding year for the WCHA. I (and thousands of other WCHA hockey fans) believe the largest problem regarding the WCHA has been the officiating (incidents such as the Bina/Adam 2 minute call). Are there steps being taken to increase the level/professionalism of officiating?

Bruce McLeod: Regarding the level of officiating in the WCHA this year, I've been around long enough, almost 40 years as a player, administrator or Commissioner, and I really don't feel that the rhetoric regarding officials is at a higher level than earlier years. We are always tuned in to our officiating in the WCHA. I think the fact that we have hired Greg Shepherd on a full-time basis for next year tells everybody the priority that we place on officiating in the WCHA. Specifically regarding the Robbie Bina incident, we are deeply concerned about the action of checking from behind and have made it a priority in all of our officiating clinics and coaches meetings. We feel we have made progress in this area, but certainly haven't gotten to the point of eliminating this part of the game. That is definitely our goal. We were dismayed as anybody at the call that was made and feel the Association corrected that call as quickly as we possibly could. But the original call got us off on the wrong foot and created a bad impression right away. We have a procedure for following up on these types of incidents and the WCHA followed that procedure in dealing with the supplementary discipline that followed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With leadership and vision like that and Don "ad lib" Adam what more can you ask for? :)

We have a procedure for following up on these types of incidents and the WCHA followed that procedure in dealing with the supplementary discipline that followed.

Let me be blunt: Screw "supplementary discipline".

UAA should have had a major power play against Wisconsin.

UND should have had a major power play against Denver.

How can I say that?

"Supplementary discipline" tells me so.

(Both minor calls were later upgraded to majors.)

Call the right penalty the first time and you don't need "supplementary discipline".

"Specifically regarding the Robbie Bina incident, we are deeply concerned about the action of checking from behind and have made it a priority in all of our officiating clinics and coaches meetings. We feel we have made progress in this area, but certainly haven't gotten to the point of eliminating this part of the game. That is definitely our goal. "

Sorry, but could someone explain this? Is he saying 'haven't gotten to the point of eliminating this part of the game." meaning checking from behind or from making "it a priority in all of out officating clinics and coaches meetings." :)

I

Seriously, what message are you guys getting from this?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Business as usual.

Here are the questions I submitted before the chat:

What was referee Don Adam's reason for not calling a 5-minute major on

Denver's Geoff Paukovich for his hit on Robbie Bina during the WCHA

Final Five?

Will the Robbie Bina incident cause the WCHA to review how it trains and

evaluates officials?

Why has the WCHA lagged behind other conferences in following the NCAA's

instruction to call the game by the book?

Was it a mistake to have Don Adam referee the DU-UND game after he erred

on calling a major penalty the previous weekend during the UAA-UW

series?

Does the WCHA need to end situational officiating to avoid

inconsistencies in how games are called and improve player safety?

I think the fact that we have hired Greg Shepherd on a full-time basis for next year tells everybody the priority that we place on officiating in the WCHA.

Probably an extension of the desire for "parity" among the haves and have-nots by pounding the snot out of "stars" who feel compelled to leave for the relative safety of the AHL or NHL. :)

The Commissioner's office doesn't address the fact that major (five minute) penalties just are not called these days; I remember in the 50s and 60s when at least one major was called, on average, per game; several in some games when thuggery got out of control. It's not Adam's fault that the collective wisdom is not to call majors. And what is it with USA hockey that prevents them from requiring the full cage or shield; do they enjoy the maiming of young men? While we're at it, lets insist the NHL loose the red line to encourage speed and quickness or we don't come back! There is so little wrong with hockey, but why is the negative stuff so hard to get rid of? Do we need younger men in leadership positions?

The Commissioner's office doesn't address the fact that major (five minute) penalties just are not called these days; I remember in the 50s and 60s when at least one major was called, on average, per game; several in some games when thuggery got out of control. It's not Adam's fault that the collective wisdom is not to call majors. And what is it with USA hockey that prevents them from requiring the full cage or shield; do they enjoy the maiming of young men? While we're at it, lets insist the NHL loose the red line to encourage speed and quickness or we don't come back! There is so little wrong with hockey, but why is the negative stuff so hard to get rid of? Do we need younger men in leadership positions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think major penalties are not called because of the game DQ and automatic suspension. The refs are worried about making a big deal about something small. I think if they only had to make the major call and decide if they were done for that particular game, they would be more likely to do that and allow a committee to decide on further penalty.

I'm glad they took this regard towards officiating.

Now, instead of the corruption being half assed, it's now whole assed.

If you are going to throw everything in a gutter, don't stop there, dig a ditch.

:):D:)

Everyone on USCHO is wondering what is going to be the plight of Hockey East. My response now is, give it time. the WCHA will become too dangerous for blue chip recruits and they'll start going MJs or HEA.

"....we are deeply concerned about the action of checking from behind and have made it a priority in all of our officiating clinics and coaches meetings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I just thought I'd point out the text from the official NCAA Ice Hockey Rule Book.

Rule 6, Section 23, Part b:

"Hitting from behind into the side boards, end boards or goal cage is a flagrant violation."

PENTALTY -- Major and game misconduct or disqualification.

Just something to point out, because the way I read this, there should have been no question on what call to make in that situation.

I guess the ref's don't really know the rulebook the way they should.