SiouxSports.com Forum

That's a relief!

PCM

But this hasn't worked in the past.  The league has tried mandating 5 minute majors with DQ's and a 1 game suspension.  That came about approximately 10 years ago.  In 10 years has anyone noticed that checking from behind is occurring less frequently?  I don't think it's happening any less now then 10 years ago.  Apparently the refs do need to be taken off the hook because they're not calling the 5 minute penalties.  I believe they aren't because they don't want to put the team shorthanded for that long.

After the mandate came out, players would get hit from behind and lay on the ice like they were hurt as bad as Bina was.  As soon as the ref called the DQ the "injured" player would get on his feet and head to the bench and not miss a shift.  I think the refs noticed that and became reluctant to call the big penalty.  Over the years, it has become automatic for a checking from behind to be called boarding.  I can't even remember the last time I saw someone get a major penalty for this particular infraction.  Yet there are numerous hits every year that I feel warrant the major penalty.  That is why I layed out my suggestion in the previous post because currently, no one is making a player think twice before drilling someone in the back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're suggestion is interesting, and I definitely agree with your assessment of the checking from behind calls; but if most of the punishment is dealt specifically to the player, what's to prevent a coach from sending out a goon to run an opposing player intentionally? The player who commits the act would get punished with little detriment to the team. Granted, the referees can't police everything, but if they had to make a call about protecting the Win-Loss record of the team or the safety of the players involved, I'd hope they'd choose the latter. If the officials in the WCHA are more interested in protecting the Win-Loss records of the teams, then an overhaul is definitely needed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic