SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

BostonSiouxFan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest problem I have with the rule is fairness to the fans. As I have mentioned before, it's not fair that "out-of-state" (man does that bug me about Twin City folk when they refer to the Northern MN) fans have to wake at the butt crack of dawn to make it to the afternoon game, when it should be at night.

Personally, you'd think the WCHA would want more teams in. That being said, the Gopher Rule has screwed teams over before by having them play immediately in the afternoon. Could happen to UW this year. The extra rest doesn't matter for the third place game, because at that point the players are worn out.

I long for the day when Minnesota goes into the big ten conferance for Hockey.  Lets see how well your WCHA tourney draws then :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why?

I hope and pray there will never be such thing as the Big Ten conference for Hockey.

I know as a Gopher Fan I am not alone in the fact that many of us buy Final Five packages and go to every game. Last years tourney had almost 13,000 in attendance for the Thursday night game between UAA and CC. Would even 10,000 fans show up at REA or the Kohl Center if the Sioux or Badgers weren't playing?

I do agree with The Don that the winner of the play in game should play the number 1 seed in the night game. If the Gophers were in the afternoon game they would get a huge turnout and very likely that would carry over into the night game.

DLW4GOPHERS, I can hear you whining already...

"How come we always have to travel to Joe Louis Arena for the Super-Six?  Why doesn't it come to Minneapolis/St Paul?"

"It's not fair that we had to play at 2:00 pm and (insert local team here) Michigan/Michigan State got to play at 7:00 pm."

:0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No whining from me. I already travel to many Big 10 venues for BB and Football. I would love to go to Chicago to see a big ten Hockey tourney.

No whining from me.  I already travel to many Big 10 venues for BB and Football.  I would love to go to Chicago to see a big ten Hockey tourney.

Maybe if the BTHC ran a pre-season tourney you could catch the Cubs winning Game 7 of a World Series over the White Sox during the same weekend.

Not big enough. Rumor has it that Ralph E. was trying to get the Frozen Four and was willing to write the NCAA a check to cover the difference between 15,000 tickets (the NCAA minimum seating requirements to host the FF I believe) and the 11,500+ REA capacity. Obviously it was back when he was still alive, but I am pretty sure it was in the GF Heraldo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I remember reading that some where too. I wounder if REA would still do that? Maybe with all of the money they made with the WJC.

Well-said Sicatoka.  Hometown fans should have no problem playing hooky to see their team play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Along those lines - if it works out this way just see how many Gopher fans show up Saturday afternoon to watch their team play for 3rd place - the building will be 1/2 empty

DLW4GOPHERS,

When did Minnesota join the Big Ten in football?  :0

Oh the classic football stadiums of the Big Ten...The Horseshoe...Happy Valley...Michigan Stadium...Spartan Stadium...AND THE METRODOME?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For all the wonderful things (including taking a chance & hiring Herb Brooks) Paul Giel did for the University of Minnesota in my mind his lasting legacy will sadly be the move to the Metrodump.

I see if the sioux win on thuresay night. they have to play right away at 2:37. That is weird that Minnesota got the late game again. Oh wait that is nothing new. F the goofers.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should just be glad you don't draw the Gophers after beating UW. It's hidden deep in the WCHA handbook, but the game would in fact begin at Friday AM 12:01:00. At that point if things still aren't going well for the Gophers, Lou, Glen and Doug get to "officiate" the third period.

I agree with you 100% WPoS about Memorial Stadium. People who haven't seen an outdoor college football game need to head to LSU, Ann Arbor (it doesn't get any better than The Big House), Alabama/Auburn, The Swamp, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Ohio State and get a good look at what a great game outdoor college football on campus is. The cool thing about Michigan Stadium is that while 50 yard line seats are obviously more expensive than end zone seats, the fans' butts there will hurt just as much as mine by the end of the game. No luxury boxes is what it's all about!

Back on topic...section 102, row 11 seat 8. #19 green jersey. See ya at the X. And don't forget to buy a waffle cone! Cue Homer Simpson: "MMMM...XCEL WAFFLE CONES....AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH."

I sure am getting some chuckles out of those in favor of a Big 10 hockey conference. Poor "assumption" that the tournament would be in Chicago. I'm guessing DLW4GOPHERS and others would have a hard time convincing the powers that be in Michigan and Michigan State and the # of fans they draw in Detroit that the tournament should be moved a few hours west of there. Good luck with all that...

I remember hearing something about the Ralph, before it opened, hosting the final five and the seats in the upper bowl could be taken out and bleacher type seats put in to come close to the minimun # of seats needed to host the tourney. the temp. seats/bleachers (not sure on the exact style) would be smaller than the current seats thus adding more spots......