SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

BostonSiouxFan

UND used to have a similar atmosphere on a much smaller scale of course. Words can't even begin to describe how much I miss watching the Sioux football team play outside. I'm glad GF has the Alerus Center for concerts, but it sucks for football. :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd recommend heading to Collegeville and watching a Johnny game, great atmosphere.

I've been to a UW/MN game at Camp Randall, that is also a great venue and hope to get to a MN/U-MI game in Ann Arbor soon.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND used to have a similar atmosphere on a much smaller scale of course. Words can't even begin to describe how much I miss watching the Sioux football team play outside. I'm glad GF has the Alerus Center for concerts, but it sucks for football.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which certainly explains why the Sioux have never lost a playoff game at home in the Alerus Center.

If they had finished in the top 3 it wouldn't be an issue. You won't hear any whining out of this Sioux fan. I will just be happy they have an opportunity to play a game on Friday afternoon should they win on Thursday. You guys with your sour grapes and petty hatred of the Gophers crack me up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with you that things are the way they are and there is no use whining about it except to the people who can change it, but how is this any different than you whining about the Grand Forks bias in high school hockey and your petty hatred of them.

What he means is, it sucks to watch a game in there compared to Memorial. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what he means. I wasn't sold on indoor football, either. And on a beautiful fall day, I hate watching football inside. Football is meant for that type of weather.

But the fact is, there are very few football days like that in the fall. When the weather is bad, few people attend games. Even though I long of the days of watching SDSU play outside on natural grass, there's no denying that the Alerus Center and its atmosphere have been a boon to UND football.

They haven't lost a home playoff game at the Alerus Center because they have had a great team the past few years. They would have won all those games regardless where they played them.

The Sioux had some very good teams under Roger Thomas before the Alerus Center was built. Remember a guy named Jim Kleinsasser dropping a potential game-winning TD pass in the end zone in a playoff loss to Northern Colorado?

To suggest that perhaps the building won those games is disrespectful to the players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suggested no such thing. :0

I don't think it's accurate to say that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my last comment on the subject because this is a hockey thread.

Dave, I've lived in Grand Forks for more than 13 years and I've been to many football games in Memorial Stadium. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the weather is like here.

Phillysioux,

Kinda like sending the WCHA playoff champ and #1 team in the country on the road to face Michigan at Yost in the NCAA tournament is a "reward"? That's what happened to 2002 Denver. Or the 1998 Sioux being ranked #1 and being sent to the same graveyard for road teams? No matter what happens to Minnesota, they're playing at Mariucci next weekend.

DU's "reward" for being the #1 seed should be playing in prime-time at the Xcel Energy Center.

Phillysioux,

Kinda like sending the WCHA playoff champ and #1 team in the country on the road to face Michigan at Yost in the NCAA tournament is a "reward"?  That's what happened to 2002 Denver.  Or the 1998 Sioux being ranked #1 and being sent to the same graveyard for road teams?  No matter what happens to Minnesota, they're playing at Mariucci next weekend.   

DU's "reward" for being the #1 seed should be playing in prime-time at the Xcel Energy Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just gotta believe that if someone asked Gwoz, he'd rather play an opponent on short rest. I'm also confident he doesn't care about primetime.

That's nothing like saying I like the Bison football team. I hate the Bison in football and every other pathetic sport they participate in. I assure you I'm an extremely diehard Sioux fan and have been since the late '70s/early '80s when I was very young. I care very much if they win or lose. I just have always looked at the rivalries with the Gophers and Badgers with mutual respect as opposed to petty hatred. I believe the players and coaches have mutual respect for each other, it's just the fans that hate each other. What made me sick was to hear how many Sioux fans were cheering for Hockey East teams Maine and New Hampshire in the '02 and '03 title games. That just isn't right. If we can't win it we should at least hope to keep in within our conference. I feel the same way about college football. My favorite team is the Gophers, but I always cheer for all the Big 10 teams to win their bowl games. In D-2 football I would prefer to see another team from the NCC win the national championship game over any team from another conference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Petty hate. :)

Since 98-99% of all the games during the season are played at 7:05 or 7:35 pm local time on Friday and Saturday nights, I'm guessing Gwod might think playing at 2:35 pm in front of a half-full arena isn't to his liking. But I guess we'd have to ask him, wouldn't we? I honestly have no idea. But do you think he'd honestly turn down a prime-time appearance in the TV market of the league's biggest target?

Even Lucia thinks the rule should be scrapped.

I just gotta believe that if someone asked Gwoz, he'd rather play an opponent on short rest.  I'm also confident he doesn't care about primetime.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't bet on it. Playing in prime time is a valuable recruiting tool. Plus, Gwoz hates the Gophers as much as anyone.

In a completely unrelated note, it IS possible to be a Bison football and Sioux hockey fan. My dad graduated from NDSU and his idea of sports is hunting deer. However, he would quit feeding cows or whatever early one Saturday a year: The UND/NDSU football game. I was watching that game when I was 5 years old. Hate 'em if you want, I'm proud of the success of North Dakota's two NCAA football teams at the D2 level. Heck, I'm proud of the success of the two women's basketball programs. It's a shame they're on sabattical from playing each other. Until UND turns D1-AA...but that's another thread for another day.

And despite all THAT being said about the love of North Dakota sports, I will add this piece of irony. Having lived in the heart of Gopher country since 1992, I would cheer for the 1980 Soviet Olympic team to beat Minnesota if they played today. :0