SiouxSports.com Forum

Minnesota Rule

BostonSiouxFan

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus, don't you think if they closed up the gap between game-times on Friday and Saturday, that if the Gophers played in the afternoon, most of those fans would stick around for the night game, thereby INCREASING attendance overall?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then no happy hour :0

That's pushing it.

Most games do only go about 2.5 hours, so in general there would be a little time. But if that game has a lot of goals and/or penalties and goes 3 hours suddenly you only have 1 hour between games. Any overtime games just compound the problem. Have to clear the fans, resurface the ice, etc in hurry just so teams can get out for warm-ups. For the next games. Not much time for fans to get out for happy hour, or make sure fans who aren't supposed to stay for the night game leave.

However, it would be good for concessions because of a lack of time to find anything to eat outside the arena.

Personally, I could use a fair break between games.

I know it's not without its pitfalls, but I think attendance would increase overall. What incentive is there for a Gopher fan to buy a ticket to a 2:35 pm game Friday afternoon not involving their team? None, unless they're a die-hard hockey fan. However, if it's a package deal and the price includes tickets for both games w/a short break in between, don't you think fans would go to two games?

Personally, I like hockey, so my friends and I buy the package about one day after they go on sale. Most fans, I believe purchase individual game packages. If you have any doubt about that, see how many Gopher fans show up tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon if they are in the 3rd place game.

Personally, I like hockey, so my friends and I buy the package about one day after they go on sale.  Most fans, I believe purchase individual game packages.  If you have any doubt about that, see how many Gopher fans show up tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon if they are in the 3rd place game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granted it is a lot easier for us Gophers fans, but I'm guessing there will be just as many Gophers jerseys in attendance tomorrow night as Sioux or Badgers.

Granted it is a lot easier for us Gophers fans, but I'm guessing there will be just as many Gophers jerseys in attendance tomorrow night as Sioux or Badgers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your jersey might smell bad by the time you wear it to the Gopher game Saturday afternoon. :0

I'd take you up on that bet, sagard. I'm not saying Gopher fans aren't die-hards, because some of them are and will go to all five games. But I think you can look back pretty recently at some Friday semi-final games at 7:00 pm that Minnesota lost where the attendance on Saturday afternoon was 8-10,000.

Personally, I like hockey, so my friends and I buy the package about one day after they go on sale.  Most fans, I believe purchase individual game packages.  If you have any doubt about that, see how many Gopher fans show up tomorrow night or Saturday afternoon if they are in the 3rd place game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if?

Dont you mean "when" :0

The more I think about it, the more absurd I think the idea of just as many Gopher fans in attendance tomorrow at the X as Sioux and Badger fans. That thought is just silly. Like I said, I think it was 2001 when Minnesota lost to St Cloud in the semi-final game. Those 16,000 Gopher fans turned into about 8-10,000 the following afternoon.

I was just thinking the same thing, there is no way there will be as many Gopher jerseys! Once again, don't you think that most buy the single game tickets or would try sell their tickets? Besides the Gophs fans have to get to bed early so they can get up and pre-game before the 11:30 tip-off Friday morning in the Big Dance!

The more I think about it, the more absurd I think the idea of just as many Gopher fans in attendance tomorrow at the X as Sioux and Badger fans.  That thought is just silly.  Like I said, I think it was 2001 when Minnesota lost to St Cloud in the semi-final game.  Those 16,000 Gopher fans turned into about 8-10,000 the following afternoon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we are talking two different things. Last years playin game between CC and AA supposedly had 12,700. I'd guess maybe 6,000-7,000 actual. The vast majority of that crowd was Gopher fans. Would you agree that 75% were Gophers fans at that game?

If so then the Sioux or UW would probably have to get a minimum of 4,500 hundred fans to the game tomorrow to match the Gopher contingent. If the game were on Friday or Saturday I'd say they could do it, but it's not and many have to work Friday.

We'll know soon enough, and hopefully the vile red ones will be able to get out their golf clubs as early as Monday.

sagard,

I can't recall the breakdown of jerseys between last year's play-in game teams, but I do know lots of fans went there to see Alaska-Anchorage for the first time in the Final Five. Whatever team you were a fan of, it was nice to see the Seawolves get a standing ovation when they took the ice. You could just see how pumped the players were to be there. I'm sorry they aren't making a repeat appearance as I read that that was their goal this season...to get back to the Final Five.

UNDGUY,

Judging by the comments on ESPN.com today, I wonder if many Gopher hockey fans will be staying at home trying to figure out how to up Minnesota's ZERO PERCENT men's basketball graduation rate.  Nice work, U of M!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that this morning, that Jan Ganglehoff (or whatever her name was) must not do very good work :0

To be fair, the timeline they used was in the middle of that mess - when most (or all) of the players left after the NCAA put them on probation. I don't know if they take into account if the player graduates from another university.