SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Fans Throwing Pennies on the Ice

Stack

This was a quote from this article on USCHO http://www.uscho.com/news/uwire.php/men/VMLQ022520058673740

"That's a rowdy environment up there in Grand Forks," Burish said. "Their fans are there at 6 o'clock. They're there for warm-ups, throwing pennies on the ice trying to make you fall. It's just a different environment, it's something that guys aren't used to playing in and some of our young guys won't be used to be playing in."

Personnally I've never heard of anyone throwing pennies on the ice. Heck it would endanger our players as much as their's.

Anyone?

REA a raucous and rowdy environment?  I don't see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah no kidding, it is far from a rowdy environment. He must still be going on the reputation of the old ralph or else smoking something. :silly:

Andrew Joudrey, one of the Wisconsin players, speculated that their Saturday loss to the Sioux might have been because the Badgers were "amazed by the building." It was the first time I heard that excuse used.

Andrew Joudrey, one of the Wisconsin players, speculated that their Saturday loss to the Sioux might have been because the Badgers were "amazed by the building." It was the first time I heard that excuse used.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Their building is bigger

This was a quote from this article on USCHO http://www.uscho.com/news/uwire.php/men/VMLQ022520058673740

"That's a rowdy environment up there in Grand Forks," Burish said. "Their fans are there at 6 o'clock. They're there for warm-ups, throwing pennies on the ice trying to make you fall. It's just a different environment, it's something that guys aren't used to playing in and some of our young guys won't be used to be playing in."

Personnally I've never heard of anyone throwing pennies on the ice. Heck it would endanger our players as much as their's.

Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am assuming that this is not true. I haven't been to the new stadium many times but if I saw someone throwing pennies on the ice, I would go to security. Pennies are not like a gopher, badger, or hat. Which, if not appropriate, at least is easily visable, and will not cause injury (assuming again that the gopher is not live and rabid).

I have never seen this happen in Grand Forks and hope I never do.

I am assuming that this is not true.  I haven't been to the new stadium many times but if I saw someone throwing pennies on the ice, I would go to security.  Pennies are not like a gopher, badger, or hat.  Which, if not appropriate, at least is easily visable, and will not cause injury (assuming again that the gopher is not live and rabid).

I have never seen this happen in Grand Forks and hope I never do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, such a thing would endanger our players as well. This is something that is stupid and I hope is not true.

The uscho article was done prior to last weekend's series. So it happened to Burish 2 years ago?

I have seen coins get thrown on the ice in the old REA. Someone may have been throwing them at Martinello.

I have a hard time believing our students would do something that stupid, its just not very cool at all if it were true and someone could get hurt bad (it could be over blown or one isolated incident). However, according to a guy that I work with said that while watching the game onetelevision apparently it showed some of the students spitting on the Badger players as they came to the penalty box. I actually have a hard time believing that happening too, however, I talked to another guy that I know said that he was talking to one of the Badger players (I don't remember which one) said something to that this was infact true.

However, according to a guy that I work with said that while watching the game onetelevision apparently it showed some of the students spitting on the Badger players as they came to the penalty box. I actually have a hard time believing that happening too, however, I talked to another guy that I know said that he was talking to one of the Badger players (I don't remember which one) said something to that this was infact true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was true, they clearly showed that during saturday's television broadcast of the game.

I have a hard time believing our students would do something that stupid, its just not very cool at all if it were true and someone could get hurt bad (it could be over blown or one isolated incident). However, according to a guy that I work with said that while watching the game onetelevision apparently it showed some of the students spitting on the Badger players as they came to the penalty box. I actually have a hard time believing that happening too, however, I talked to another guy that I know said that he was talking to one of the Badger players (I don't remember which one) said something to that this was infact true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That did happen. Saw it on TV also. Guy tried to spit on the badger in the pbox. Not sure if he had the trajectory to get it to him. Expected security to show up in the picture but they didn't while the TV camera was on him.

That did happen. Saw it on TV also. Guy tried to spit on the badger in the pbox. Not sure if he had the trajectory to get it to him. Expected security to show up in the picture but they didn't while the TV camera was on him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw it on TV, too. I think Sweeny or Bredahl even said something about what the Sioux fans were doing. The best part was the Red River players (I am assuming it was them, since they all had bleached hair) standing in the walkway between the students and the PB. They got a pre-game shower! :blush:

I think I remember a penny being on the ice at a game like 2 or 3 years ago. Don't remember if it was against Wisconsin though and I don't remember how it got there. It wasn't during warmups though, I don't think.

Also I think the reason the students were spitting in the penalty box was because MacMurchy had thrown the water bottle at them. Both are idiots, though MacMurchy throwing the bottle is funny to me.

Also I think the reason the students were spitting in the penalty box was because MacMurchy had thrown the water bottle at them.  Both are idiots, though MacMurchy throwing the bottle is funny to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whoa, hold on there. I don't believe for a second that a Badger player would ever throw a water bottle at Sioux player/fan. :D:blush:

Also I think the reason the students were spitting in the penalty box was because MacMurchy had thrown the water bottle at them.  Both are idiots, though MacMurchy throwing the bottle is funny to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MacMurchy is a head case. It was nice to see another classy Badger team come to town.