SiouxSports.com Forum

Miami @ UND - Friday Gameday - Ludvig's Revenge Rd. 1!

stoneySIOUX

It's strange for me to think this, but Gaber has gone from being one of the top couple forwards on the team each year to maybe not in the top five this year, and not from any regression on his part, but rather by the growth of younger guys.  That says a lot about how good the forward group is, and also opens the door for Gaber to be the best he's ever been, since he won't be trying to carry the team.  You can already see him slide into more of a team player.  As the spotlight moves off him, he'll be able to step up and bury those snipes at key times.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

First game this season that reminded me of last season. Except this season UND has more offensive punch to overcome some lax spurts and bad luck. 

Nailed it.  First time that our GT has looked "iffy", and the turnovers in our zone need working on.  If Livanavage can't move that big forward from in front of the net, lift the stick or block the shot instead.  I'm sure they'll cover that on film.

Horrible reffing did not help.  If Gaber's inadvertent trip during the 4x4 was called, then another three or four should have been called on Miami, especially the bearhug on Perron.

8-2-1 is a hell of a lot better than last year, though.  Last season's team would have lost this game with 2.4 seconds to go.

19 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Nailed it.  First time that our GT has looked "iffy", and the turnovers in our zone need working on.  If Livanavage can't move that big forward from in front of the net, lift the stick or block the shot instead.  I'm sure they'll cover that on film.

Horrible reffing did not help.  If Gaber's inadvertent trip during the 4x4 was called, then another three or four should have been called on Miami, especially the bearhug on Perron.

8-2-1 is a hell of a lot better than last year, though.  Last season's team would have lost this game with 2.4 seconds to go.

Not sure what was up with Persson last night. But, he's earned the benefit of the doubt, IMO. I think he'll be sharp tonight.

Yep, we were 4-5-2 last year through 11 games. Dang good swing.

46 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Looking a little deeper into it, Miami scored back-to-back goals within about a minute of each other TWICE in this game, once in the second and one with basically no time left in a blowout. That's a few bad shifts. Last year's team would collapse for 30 minute stretches. Outside of those two spurts, it wasn't even close.

Do I want UND to never have these things happen, of course. But, I'll say it again, that game was never in doubt. Do it again tonight.

Turnovers at the offensive blue line need to be eliminated. Can’t do that, ever. Also, it seems that our forwards don’t play tight enough on the defensemen in the D zone when they get tired. It’s not a penalty kill. Stick to your guy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Turnovers at the offensive blue line need to be eliminated. Can’t do that, ever. Also, it seems that our forwards don’t play tight enough on the defensemen in the D zone when they get tired. It’s not a penalty kill. Stick to your guy.

I understand the desire for that stuff to never happen, but you're making it sound endemic. This d-corps has been impressive all season. 

I feel like those were two pretty significant, general sweeping statements for a team that has been wholly consistent for 11 games. Are you genuinely concerned that these two things are a big problem? If so, I guess I watched a different game than you last night.

7 minutes ago, Clark17 said:

Nope not the time 

I agree. I hope we do get him some time soon, though. I honestly have no idea is Persson would come back next season, but he can. With that said, we need Hobey to get some net sometime this season. I think collectively as a program we're so nervous about bad PWR losses because they've haunted us a few times over the past five years or so. 

Kind of reminds me when we were playing Lake State in the 2014-15 season. Zane was the clear No. 1 with Cam on the bench. Cam came in and got lit up, I think it was 3 goals on like 8 shots, and got yanked. Well, we know how it worked out the next season LOL.

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree. I hope we do get him some time soon, though. I honestly have no idea is Persson would come back next season, but he can. With that said, we need Hobey to get some net sometime this season. I think collectively as a program we're so nervous about bad PWR losses because they've haunted us a few times over the past five years or so. 

Kind of reminds me when we were playing Lake State in the 2014-15 season. Zane was the clear No. 1 with Cam on the bench. Cam came in and got lit up, I think it was 3 goals on like 8 shots, and got yanked. Well, we know how it worked out the next season LOL.

Cam got lit up that game too if memory serves and didn’t look great. Then he became a national championship level goalie

• Upvote 1