SiouxSports.com Forum

UAA

U2Bad1

I'm not sure what to think about this weekend. UAA has recently taken Denver to OT, split with SCSU and obviously took 3 of 4 points from MN in Mariucci. They obviously are a quality team that can play with anyone. On the other hand, they did give up 110+ shots to MN in two games, which is a lot even if a bunch of them were not grade A chances. Generally, I think if a team throws that much rubber at the net, they will eventually get a few bounces (deflections, rebounds, etc.) to win the game. It might not happen in a particular game, but I think a team is living dangerously to think it can be on the downside of that equation and survive for very long.

I have seen (or listened to) plenty of UND/UAA games in the last three years where the UND defensemen stood up the UAA rush at the center red line. UAA's game plan was to: 1) not get scored on, 2) finally get the puck out of the zone, 3) dump it in and go for a change, 4) start over with "1" again. More seriously and just a touch more accurately, they would wait for an opening and try to capitalize on it, without taking any unnecessary chances in the process. They worked that formula to perfection last weekend. It has also been pretty effective against UND, as UAA has stolen games, and stayed in other games they had no business being in.

We know what to expect from UAA. The big question is whether UND can take its nearly full roster and break out and win some games. They have improved elements of their play as the season has progressed (better PP, fewer penalties, etc.), but have failed to put it all together. They lately have played just well enough to lose.

I cannot predict this weekend's results. I would not be surprised to see UND finally do some things right and come home with four points, nor would I be surprised with a split against a good team. I would be surprised if UND were to get swept. And this is what it has come to: With a sweep, UAA would enter into a tie with UND at 21 points in the WCHA standings. A UND sweep would bury UAA and all the other 7-10 teams, and would come close to doing the same to UMD, considering their remaining schedule.

I think it speaks to the competitive compression of the WCHA and college hockey in general (gap between the very good and very bad teams seems to have shrunken considerably), but I think this about UND's chances: I feel like UND could skate with, and beat, anyone: Michigan, BC, CC, even Denver. I also think UND could easily lose to any WCHA team, and and of the mid-level teams in the other top leagues (OSU, UNH, Lowell type teams).

North Dakota State Hockey Tournament.  Why UND has a home series the same weekend as the Tournament, God only knows.  Somebody screwed up.  :0  I blame Greg Sheppard!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say screw the ND high school tourney, have it another weekend. Like the next weekend. Talk about a horrible way to schedule WCHA hockey having it play second fiddle to HS hockey.

Sorry all, I have to do it. UND will take care of their defensive responsibilities and get two low scoring wins. AA doesn't clutch and grab and gives up plenty of chances. As long as the UND goalie pays attention, UND gets all the points.

Sweep away, if the Gophers can't get enough points from their SCSU/MTU series to finish fourth UND deserves it.

sagard,

Honestly the karma thread wasn't an attack on MN, it was meant to get UND back on track. On that front, it has so far failed. Maybe the hockey gods misinterpreted it as well, thus MN's troubles. Good luck to you, and please cut it out with the sweep thing.

I think the one thing that is missing from the team is the confidence and swagger that they had last year. They knew last year that they could score goals when they needed them (except against devner in the NCAA tourney). When I have seen them play they just don't seem to have that confidence and that is what Denver has this year. Once they get that confidence back they will be ok, I just hope that it is now and not next year. Hopefully with last weekend Anchorage will be primed for a let down cause they obviously have some confidence after last weekend. Just a couple of thoughts.

And this is what it has come to: With a sweep, UAA would enter into a tie with UND at 21 points in the WCHA standings.  A UND sweep would bury UAA and all the other 7-10 teams, and would come close to doing the same to UMD, considering their remaining schedule.

If UAA sweeps UND and we have a three-way tie for 5th place in the WCHA, that would be crazy. UND's only advantage would be that they have 2 games in hand to both UMD and UAA.

That said, I like the chances of UND this weekend. They have a near full lineup for the first time in ages. Having Murray and McMahon back will help this team tremendously.

I know this is a huge long shot, but if Wisconsin loses 5 of 6 and we win all six games remaining, we could tie them. They have a tough schedule. I know the chances of this happening aren't very good, but if they get swept this weekend and we sweep AA, next weekend could be really interesting.

I know this is a huge long shot, but if Wisconsin loses 5 of 6 and we win all six games remaining, we could tie them.  They have a tough schedule.  I know the chances of this happening aren't very good, but if they get swept this weekend and we sweep AA, next weekend could be really interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A long shot indeed. But since we're grasping for straws, it would then become conceivable for Minnesota to continue their slide and result in a potential 3-way tie for 3rd between UND, Mn, and Wi...........Anyone know the tiebreakers?

I'm not sure but I believe the first tie breaker would be conference wins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux would then win the tiebreaker. 16 wins for UND to 15 for MN & WI.

Wow, 3rd place without having to play the play-in game at the Final Five. All of the sudden things appear much clearer now that I've donned my rose colored glasses.

The Sioux would then win the tiebreaker. 16 wins for UND to 15 for MN & WI.

Wow, 3rd place without having to play the play-in game at the Final Five. All of the sudden things appear much clearer now that I've donned my rose colored glasses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please....let's not get ahead of ourselves. With the track record of the team so far this year we will be lucky to get 2 points at UAA. They know how to frusturate an opponent and score opportunistic goals. Finishing third at this point would require a small miracle. It is now or never for this group of seniors and this team....no more excuses, time to salvage the season and make a run.

I'm not sure but I believe the first tie breaker would be conference wins.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless the WCHA uses a really jacked up system...it would be head-to-head...then conference wins.

If UAA sweeps UND and we have a three-way tie for 5th place in the WCHA, that would be crazy. UND's only advantage would be that they have 2 games in hand to both UMD and UAA.

Only if UMD gets swept by Denver...which is still under debate :0