SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

14 hours ago, Brim006 said:

As good as EGF has been in MN 1A I think a lot of Minnesotans would be surprised to hear they haven't even been able to win their inner-city title for what 6-7 years now? I think 1 time in the past decade? 

True, but Grand Forks hockey would probably be right up there in a AA on most years especially if they only had one team like Morehead

23 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I went to the GFRR/Grafton game tonight, but had to leave after the second period so I don't know what the final score was. I'm pretty sure RR won - the score was 5-0 and SOG 41-7. They looked very good - fast, great passing, forechecking and backchecking. 

A gfhockey team will always be in the mix

35 Goals in 16 games so far for Abrahamson for the DL girls team.  Would be fantastic for them to make state to put her on display.  

Was having a conversation this weekend (started with hockey day in MN talk) about Girls hockey in ND.  Does anyone have an idea of how many girls have played in North Dakota all the way through their senior season and made a D1 roster?  

Curl x 2.  I believe a Sandoval from WF played all the way through and played out East somewhere. After that, it was a struggle to come up with names.  Bartz would've made it regardless, but she took off for a season anyway, probably Kirkeby from Jamestown as well.  

Curious of any others that have stayed in state and made a D1 roster?  

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

35 Goals in 16 games so far for Abrahamson for the DL girls team.  Would be fantastic for them to make state to put her on display.  

Was having a conversation this weekend (started with hockey day in MN talk) about Girls hockey in ND.  Does anyone have an idea of how many girls have played in North Dakota all the way through their senior season and made a D1 roster?  

Curl x 2.  I believe a Sandoval from WF played all the way through and played out East somewhere. After that, it was a struggle to come up with names.  Bartz would've made it regardless, but she took off for a season anyway, probably Kirkeby from Jamestown as well.  

Also leads the state in scoring again with 47 points.

7 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Kailee Jaeger, also from Devils Lake played through her SR year in high school and went on to play D1. She played at Bemidji State. There was another girl from Devils Lake that played with those really good late 90s Devils Lake teams with the Stromme boys. She played 3-4 line varsity and was the first girl in ND high school hockey history to play in a varsity game at the state tournament. Must've been 1996. I believe she also played D1 somewhere. 

6 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Also leads the state in scoring again with 47 points.

And if you have seen her play or just look at the full team stats, it's even more impressive knowing that she is doing this almost exclusively alone. There are a couple other good skaters on her team that she's able to use as outlets and create some space with thankfully. But for the most part she is being swarmed and still coming away with the puck and scoring over 2 goals per game all on her own. She accounts for 2/3 of the team's goals and she's been involved with 12 of the 21 other goals she didnt score....

If you've played competitive hockey, you can appreciate how hard that is to do all on your own. 

It looks like their team is on fire. All of the sudden winning or gaining a point in 7 of the past 8 games, beating teams that blew them out earlier this year, so it appears they are getting hot at the right time and should have a good shot at making state to help showcase her skills in front of more people. I know she does some USA hockey camps and teams as well so I'm guessing she will get some good college looks either way. It's hard to hide from being noticed this day and age no matter where you play thankfully! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brim006 said:

And if you have seen her play or just look at the full team stats, it's even more impressive knowing that she is doing this almost exclusively alone. There are a couple other good skaters on her team that she's able to use as outlets and create some space with thankfully. But for the most part she is being swarmed and still coming away with the puck and scoring over 2 goals per game all on her own. She accounts for 2/3 of the team's goals and she's been involved with 12 of the 21 other goals she didnt score....

If you've played competitive hockey, you can appreciate how hard that is to do all on your own. 

It looks like their team is on fire. All of the sudden winning or gaining a point in 7 of the past 8 games, beating teams that blew them out earlier this year, so it appears they are getting hot at the right time and should have a good shot at making state to help showcase her skills in front of more people. I know she does some USA hockey camps and teams as well so I'm guessing she will get some good college looks either way. It's hard to hide from being noticed this day and age no matter where you play thankfully! 

She is committed to Hamline, which is a darn good MIAC program.  I am surprised the Bemidji State's of the world didn't come knocking...which is why I brough up the earlier point about girls staying or leaving.  I wonder if she's got some of that "ND Hockey Player" hovering over her.  

Or maybe MIAC is what she wanted?  Who knows....women's hockey is a completely different recruiting animal without an opportunity to play juniors, or make the show amongst many other things.

1 hour ago, Brim006 said:

Agree.  She does have a little help, though, in that her senior teammate is the third leading scorer in the state.  Pretty big dropoff after that, though.  Two eighth grade defensemen.  Would love to see them make state, also, so that I can catch a game online and see her play for the first time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

She is committed to Hamline, which is a darn good MIAC program.  I am surprised the Bemidji State's of the world didn't come knocking...which is why I brough up the earlier point about girls staying or leaving.  I wonder if she's got some of that "ND Hockey Player" hovering over her.  

Or maybe MIAC is what she wanted?  Who knows....women's hockey is a completely different recruiting animal without an opportunity to play juniors, or make the show amongst many other things.

My daughter had a chance to play D1 But opted to play for Concordia because of the academics. That and she knew she would have significant playing time right off the bat. I’m sure the DL gal had D1 teams interested in her but went the D3 route 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sioux rube said:

My daughter had a chance to play D1 But opted to play for Concordia because of the academics. That and she knew she would have significant playing time right off the bat. I’m sure the DL gal had D1 teams interested in her but went the D3 route 

Yeah everyone's a bit different.  Some want the label.  Others like your family take in more important factors like playing time, accessibility to home, school, etc. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Agree.  She does have a little help, though, in that her senior teammate is the third leading scorer in the state.  Pretty big dropoff after that, though.  Two eighth grade defensemen.  Would love to see them make state, also, so that I can catch a game online and see her play for the first time.

Yeah Olson can get her the puck.  I can't remember if she is going to a MIAC school or one in Wisconsin.  When she gets the puck Ashlynn finds space and it's over...I wonder how many of her goals actually start from Olson gaining possession in the D zone and finding her in space.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Tough to say, but there's still technically time for her to get more offers. She doesn't seem like one to back out of a commitment but if there were some high end offers she might have a tough time saying no. Either way I wish her luck the rest of the season and I hope they make state to gain some additional games and to gain more visibility. 

• Upvote 2

Has Legacy snapped out of it? Winning 14 out of the last 15 games now, although the 1 loss was a bad blowout loss to Minot and only 1 of those 15 games was an EDC team. I had high hopes for them at the beginning of the season, but that dissolved instantly when they got buried by North right out of the gates. It seems they've found their groove again but I still dont think they stand much of a chance against #4 or #3 from the EDC come 1st round of State unfortunately. I want the west to compete, so I hope I'm wrong but time will tell. 

20 hours ago, Brim006 said:

As part of that 8-game streak, they even managed to beat first-place West Fargo 2-1 after losing 4-1 in the first go-round.  Their 8th-grade goaltender must really be coming around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Brim006 said:

Has Legacy snapped out of it? Winning 14 out of the last 15 games now, although the 1 loss was a bad blowout loss to Minot and only 1 of those 15 games was an EDC team. I had high hopes for them at the beginning of the season, but that dissolved instantly when they got buried by North right out of the gates. It seems they've found their groove again but I still dont think they stand much of a chance against #4 or #3 from the EDC come 1st round of State unfortunately. I want the west to compete, so I hope I'm wrong but time will tell. 

CHS proved last night they are the best team in the West.  Ole has done a great job with this group.  Speed up front is tough to deal with, and they have converted some forwards to defense out of necessity.   One loss in the WDA this season.  

Legacy will head east to South on Friday (just scheduled, both teams lost a game due to weather this year) and Sheyenne Saturday.  Good road test 2 weeks out of the WDA tournament. 

• Upvote 1

I've seen Century a couple of times this season, and they have as good chance to get out of that opening round of the state tournament as anyone from the West.  I like the way Coach Olson has them play, fun to watch.

Big night in the EDC:

North @ Central:  Central the likely #2 seed, North has lined itself up as the likely #3, all they really need to do is beat Devils Lake at home. 

Shanley @ WF High:  Winner likely gets home ice in the first round of EDC.  Outside chance for 3rd for both.   

Fargo Davies @ GPR (6 Point Game):  If Davies can win this game and Sheyenne loses out they avoid the play in game. 

Sheyenne @ Devils Lake:  Devils Lake the likely 8th seed, Sheyenne needs at least a point in this one or against WF High to avoid the play in game.  

Red River @ East Grand:  Bragging rights, but a good test for both teams at the EGF Civic Center.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I've seen Century a couple of times this season, and they have as good chance to get out of that opening round of the state tournament as anyone from the West.  I like the way Coach Olson has them play, fun to watch.

Big night in the EDC:

North @ Central:  Central the likely #2 seed, North has lined itself up as the likely #3, all they really need to do is beat Devils Lake at home. 

Shanley @ WF High:  Winner likely gets home ice in the first round of EDC.  Outside chance for 3rd for both.   

Fargo Davies @ GPR (6 Point Game):  If Davies can win this game and Sheyenne loses out they avoid the play in game. 

Sheyenne @ Devils Lake:  Devils Lake the likely 8th seed, Sheyenne needs at least a point in this one or against WF High to avoid the play in game.  

Red River @ East Grand:  Bragging rights, but a good test for both teams at the EGF Civic Center.  

Year 19 for Coach Olson 

• Upvote 2

Bob Gillen just right on top of the state standings.  Kudos to him.

EDC:

1. RR-Locked

2. Central-Locked

3. North-Almost a sure thing.

4. South/Shanley-Locked in, lowest they can finish. 

5. WF-Just need 1 point against Sheyenne.

6. Sheyenne-Need to beat WF by 2 goals to get 5th.

7. Davies-Locked in

8. DL-Locked in

9. Grafton-Locked in

10. Mayport-Locked in

• Upvote 2

Legacy beats South/Shanley last night in a crossover matchup.  Looks like South started their backup goalie, but its a matchup you could see at the first round of the state tournament. 

I've got a feeling the West gets an opening round win this year. 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Legacy beats South/Shanley last night in a crossover matchup.  Looks like South started their backup goalie, but its a matchup you could see at the first round of the state tournament. 

I've got a feeling the West gets an opening round win this year. 

I think Century has a very good chance of winning round one. They are playing their best hockey now and if they continue playing they are I wouldn’t bet against them