SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Pioneers

dagies

I'm glad to see Spirko becoming a heads up guy - his passing & touch with the puck are really something to watch. As well as his nose for goals lately

If this team would have progressed like he has this year - they would be awesome right now

Confidence has to be shaken at this point - I know mine is :silly:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Hakstol saying the average fan wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the way the Sioux played under Dean and the way they will under him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We seem to be short a few victories.

I think one reason for optimism is our Zajac and Spirko seem to be holding up well, and coming on. Radke seems to be getting his skates underneath him. Hopefully Lammy can regain the form he showed earlier. That would be a pretty impressive performance by the freshmen and bodes well end of year and for next year.

For those that are critical of Hakstol, I think it's far better that Hak's first class (freshmen) are a strength on the team, even if the senior class is not as impressive as we'd thought they could be. Wouldn't it be worse if the graduating seniors were playing great but the freshmen class was a let down? That would look worse for the future IMO.

I think one reason for optimism is our Zajac and Spirko seem to be holding up well, and coming on.  Radke seems to be getting his skates underneath him.  Hopefully Lammy can regain the form he showed earlier.  That would be a pretty impressive performance by the freshmen and bodes well end of year and for next year.

For those that are critical of Hakstol, I think it's far better that Hak's first class (freshmen) are a strength on the team, even if the senior class is not as impressive as we'd thought they could be.  Wouldn't it be worse if the graduating seniors were playing great but the freshmen class was a let down?  That would look worse for the future IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only problem is that Hakstol recruited all of the players, including the seniors and weak junior class. Admittedly, the senior class was weakened by the early departure of Bochenski, and the Junior class by the early departure of Parise, but neither class has produced much depth. Jones and Fuher will be missed, McMahon is a good 2nd or 3rd line center, but the rest will not be missed. Schneider has inexplicably gone downhill since his sophomore year. Massen and Canady would not play for any of the top WCHA teams. I hope that next year's freshman class contributes right away because we need them. If the Sioux have another year like this, look for Hakstol to be on the hot seat, and deservedly so.

The only problem is that Hakstol recruited all of the players, including the seniors and weak junior class. Admittedly, the senior class was weakened by the early departure of Bochenski, and the Junior class by the early departure of Parise, but neither class has produced much depth. Jones and Fuher will be missed, McMahon is a good 2nd or 3rd line center, but the rest will not be missed. Schneider has inexplicably gone downhill since his sophomore year. Massen and Canady would not play for any of the top WCHA teams.

To be fair, the following players were recruited before Hakstol arrived at UND:

Schneider - 11/99

Fuher - 11/99

Connelly - 1/00

Canady - 2/00

Brandt - 3/00

The following committed after the assistants turned over (Sandelin and Bowen out, Berry and Hakstol in)

Jones - 9/00

McMahon - 11/00

Faul - 11/00

Fournier - 12/00

Massen - 12/00

Genoway - 1/01

Bochenski - 3/01

There are four good to great college players in the class Hakstol recruited (and two busts and one enigma (Massen)). That's not really too bad. We also have no idea how involved Hakstol was in recruiting this class, since he had just started.

As for the junior class, it was only four players deep:

Parise

Greene

Prpich - solid role-player; great late pickup

Marvin - legacy utility man, doubt there's much money involved

I have no issues with the junior class. There is no disputing the lack of production from the senior forwards, though, and that has been the big problem, with only three of them becoming good college players (McMahon, Genoway, Bochenski).

To be fair, the following players were recruited before Hakstol arrived at UND:

Schneider - 11/99

Fuher - 11/99

Connelly - 1/00

Canady - 2/00

Brandt - 3/00

The following committed after the assistants turned over (Sandelin and Bowen out, Berry and Hakstol in)

Jones - 9/00

McMahon - 11/00

Faul - 11/00

Fournier - 12/00

Massen - 12/00

Genoway - 1/01

Bochenski - 3/01

There are four good to great college players in the class Hakstol recruited (and two busts and one enigma (Massen)). That's not really too bad. We also have no idea how involved Hakstol was in recruiting this class, since he had just started.

As for the junior class, it was only four players deep:

Parise

Greene

Prpich - solid role-player; great late pickup

Marvin - legacy utility man, doubt there's much money involved

I have no issues with the junior class. There is no disputing the lack of production from the senior forwards, though, and that has been the big problem, with only three of them becoming good college players (McMahon, Genoway, Bochenski).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good post. I beg to differ on a few. Massen is a bust, not an enigma. He is slow, does not work hard, is not physical and never scores. His only attribute is his shot, but he never takes it and never scores. I honestly do not see why he even plays. Prpich is also more of a liability due to his stupid penalties and lack of production. He is a very poor skater and slow-footed. Greene is a great talent, but his penalties and untimely mistakes make me wonder if his negatives do not outweigh the positives. McMahon is a 3rd line center, similar to Adam Calder (perhaps with less scoring touch). I like his defensive ability, but he should not be on the 1st or 2nd line. He is not a top line scorer. Schneider has been the worst defenseman in most of the games that I have attended. I don't get it because he is obviously talented. I have no problem with Brandt--he's a good goalie, but has not been given many opportunities this year. I also have no problem with Marvin for the reasons that you noted.

One thing absent is that this team obviously has chemistry problems. They do not always work hard (see Bemidji State), and there is no excuse for losing to AAU and MSUM at home, getting tied and outplayed by Bemidji at home, and getting swept by ANYONE at home. This team is not without talent, and I'm sure that the coaches of AAU, MSUM and others would love to have the likes of Matt Jones, Matt Greene, Drew Stafford, Brady Murray, Chris Porter, Travis Zajac and others on their teams. The bottom line is either that we are not recruiting top notch players or we are not getting enough out of the talent. It is probably a little of both. This is one of the top programs in the country and I'm tired of excuses. Someone must be held accountable, and the bullseye, fair or not, is always on the head coach. He deserves a chance, but the leash is short, probably not beyond next year. Unfortunately, Hakstol has a shorter leash because of the fact that he was handed the job without taking outside applications.

I think that for some, the biggest frustration with Hakstol isn't whether or not he's qualified to be the coach-it's the appearance of nepotism in his hiring. His father-in-law happens to be the president of the alumni association. From the get go, there appeared to be an insider-deal as the job opening wasn't posted nationally. Having personally spoken to John Marks, who was interested in applying as well as what he told me in his conversations with Steve Johnson, a lot of people were miffed over the fact that the job wasn't opened up to the outside. According to Marks, had the University opened the job to the public and still hired Hakstol, there wouldn't have been nearly as much of an appearance of nepotism.

Personally speaking, I don't think that being the son-in-law of the Pres. of the alumni association disqualifies Hakstol. However, I cannot dissagree with those who during these times when the Sioux are struggling are raising the concern that there might have been some internal politics involved.

Hakstol to me would have earned much more credibility in his hiring had the head coaching position been opened up to the public (even if the University still had no intentions of hiring anyone but Hakstol). I suppose the comeback from Hakstol's supporters will talk about the rush to get a coach in due to the timing of Blais' resignation, getting recruits signed, etc. And perhapst this is a valid arguement too.

Someone mentioned nepotism with regards to Sheppard and his kid. Well, it sure seems like that was the case with regards to the hiring of Hakstol.

OK, You've got me on Massen. I just cannot reconcile his sophomore year with what has followed. I think more highly of Greene and Prpich than you do, but otherwise I don't disagree too much.

This is just another way of saying "the senior class is the problem," but I think the basic issue is that UND has not made the transition to younger blue-chip recruits very well. The powerhouse Blais teams of the '90s were generally made of older recruits who stayed four years. UND wasn't competing with BC and Michigan for a lot of these recruits.

With success and the rink came the ability to recruit more blue-chip true freshmen. Some don't develop as hoped, which can happen when you're looking at 16 and 17 year olds. Some really develop and leave early. This year, you are left with two top scoring lines that go like this:

Freshman, Sophomore, Sophomore (Zajac, Stafford, Murray)

Freshman, Sophomore, Senior (Spirko, Porter, Genoway)

It's tough to win when you are counting on kids like that, and it's not fair to blame the kids for not producing like upperclassmen when they aren't.

Last year, the top line was: Freshman, Sophomore, Junior

The year before, it was: Freshman, Sophomore, Other (someone with Parise and Bochenski).

If (a big one) everyone stays, next year would finally have a team with experienced forwards on the scoring lines, as all those names above save for Genoway would be back. Of course, all the defensemen will be freshmen, but what can you do?

I'm honestly still looking to this year, though, and hoping for the long-awaited revival.

---------------------------

Calder was one of my favorites. The line extends to Notermann, then it was supposed to go to Canady, then McMahon. Unfortunately, none have had the combination of grit and scoring that Calder had.

1651.jpg

Remember, the emphasis this year is calling the rule book. Things like

Hooking

SECTION 26. A player shall not impede the progress of an opponent by hooking with the stick or by using the stick in a reverse position to obtain the puck or prevent the opponent from playing the puck.

PENALTY

Is DU the best team you've seen all season?

I still think they are the best team I've seen due to more scoring depth than CC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have to say yes, but for the reason that CC just didn't look that good in 4 games vs. the Sioux. Sioux were dominant in all four, yet won just 1 (maybe that is a sign of a good team to win even when you don't play well).

I think Denver should win the McNaughton, although if their long hot streak is a direct result of the league calling the game by previous year's standards, rather than this year's early standards, they may be in trouble in the NCAA. Denver certainly appears to have the talent to be good under the early season rules, but having to switch on the fly from the current holding, hooking, obstruction game that they played this weekend may be tough.

I sit in section 302 and that shot was in and the goalie dug it out of the net. Everyone that I was sitting with say it plain as day (No beer this time).

The Brutal reality is Sheppard blew that call as well as the series and his lame a$$ed dad will do nothing to discipline his son, Young Sheppard is untouchable.

The Goal Judge was correct in his initial response, I don't care what the paper says today. I would bet Sheppard told him its not counting. Sheppard really blew this game all the way around. Last night he blew a call on the DU goal by not calling the pick penalty, then we get called for it at the end of the game.

Also the blown call on the goal. Lastly he calls Prpich for a penalty for asking about a penalty. Then Prpich gets hit in the head with a stick an obvious 5 minute major, no call, none. On the same play Bina is hawled down in front of the net. UND should have gone on the power play (5-3) at that time, as a ref you have to make that call. However, Sheppard is definately bias against UND and we nothing. UND fans have to write the league office and complain about the officiating in this league. Also, our coachin staff needs to call the league office and complain there is definately a bias against our hockey team.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree, that puck was entirely over the line. Plenty of white between the puck and the back side of the goal line. I don't know if Shepard was not in position or what, since I was too busy celebrating and didn't think to look. Apparently the TV replay was inconclusive, but I know that puck was in. I guarantee the goal judge said it was in when that horse's ass Shepard consulted with him and Shepard then overruled him. I was hoping Hak was going to call him over to the bench, and then knock out some of his teeth when he got there. Totally and completely inexcusable. It's time the member schools' ADs got together and demand that McClod fires Greg Shepard and then fire all of the orange stripes presently serving, or at the very least, Shepard, T. Anderson and Adam. Then they should give McClod his walking papers. The WCHA is the premier league in the NCAA with the best programs, coaches, rinks, and ATTENDANCE. The quality of officiating in the league is absolutely disgraceful.

As a rule, I don't blame the officials for losses, but I will say that in this game, officiating was a factor. It's really hard to believe that Shepard was trying to be impartial. He calls UND for all sorts of penalties behind the play and did not risk the health of a player or lead to a breakaway, turnover, scoring chance, or a denial of a scoring chance. A DU player throws a wicked elbow in his crease, then follows it up with an unbelievably wicked overhand two-hander to a Sioux player's head, this all right around the puck, and...nothing. It's just sad. I am beyond the ability to further comment.

For what it's worth, I was told by game officials that the goal judge admitted he'd made a mistake and that he never saw the puck cross the line. You can take this with a grain of salt, but Peter Mannino, the DU goalie, also said the puck never crossed the line. Colby Genoway agreed with him. And the overhead video and other replay angles were inconclusive. If Shepherd didn't see the puck cross the line, there was no reason for him to overturn his ruling on the ice.

For what it's worth, I was told by game officials that the goal judge admitted he'd made a mistake and that he never saw the puck cross the line. You can take this with a grain of salt, but Peter Mannino, the DU goalie, also said the puck never crossed the line. Colby Genoway agreed with him. And the overhead video and other replay angles were inconclusive. If Shepherd didn't see the puck cross the line, there was no reason for him to overturn his ruling on the ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM I sit in The section right on the goal line and the goalie fished it out of the net, it was a bang, bang play. I talked to Hopper who was right behind the goal and he said it was in too. It was pretty fast but from out vantage point it was in.

PCM I sit in The section right on the goal line and the goalie fished it out of the net, it was a bang, bang play. I talked to Hopper who was right behind the goal and he said it was in too. It was pretty fast but from out vantage point it was in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From my vantage point, that puck was in also. An official (on ice as well as goal judges) not admitting to making a mistake would not be the first time that has happened.

From my vantage point, that puck was in also.  An official (on ice as well as goal judges) not admitting to making a mistake would not be the first time that has happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if it was in or not. None of the video was conclusive. Shepherd obviously didn't think it was in. And if the goal judge knew it was in, why would he say it wasn't?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw Mannino's quote in the Herald. I knew when I read "it was well in front of the line" he was full of steaming feces. I have yet to see a direct quote from the goal judge, or from Colby for that matter. I had a great angle at it , and although I wasn't nearly as close as the goal judge, I cannot conceive how it could have been an optical illusion. I may be wrong (I freely admit I'm biased in favor of the Sioux), but I'd have to see video confimation of it, because right now I'd absolutely swear that puck was entirely over the line. It was a bang-bang play, but it was in. That convo between the goal judge and Shepherd was of such length that it further adds suspicion to the whole incident. For Pete's sake, how long does it take to say "I hit the switch too soon and the puck wasn't quite in". I think Shepherd worked on him and made him change his mind or flat out told him he was wrong. I stand by my conviction that Derek Shepherd is badly in need of dental surgery via blunt force trauma.

With the NHL out of business, there should be some high grade ice officials out of work.  Give them jobs calling WCHA games and fire the clowns we currently have.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't they do that for a series? I seem to recall hearing that the officials. If I recall, the number of penalties called on both sides were way down in those games.

Edit: Also this gives me even more respect for good referees like Campion sp? In generaly I don't have a problem with WCHA referees, but Shepard is the one I always hope not to see.

I don't have a problem with WCHA referees, but Shepard is the one I always hope not to see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do they are horrible. There should have never been an incident where Don Adam is telling the UND bench at the end of the game there now we are even. Its called Bias. I believe it goes back to the UND days when Blaiser used to work over the officials. Now we are getting the old green weenie ever time the officials get the chance. Zelkin has been the best official in the league this season.

I do they are horrible. There should have never been an incident where Don Adam is telling the UND bench at the end of the game there now we are even. Its called Bias. I believe it goes back to the UND days when Blaiser used to work over the officials. Now we are getting the old green weenie ever time the officials get the chance. Zelkin has been the best official in the league this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give Zelkin time. Once he's worked over by Daddy dumb@$$ and his thugs, he'll either quit and get a job in the pros or come around to their way of thinking.

EDIT: You know Daddy's gettin up in years. How much you want to bet that, when he retires, Derek takes over? I doubt I'd get any takers.

Give Zelkin time.  Once he's worked over by Daddy dumb@$$ and his thugs, he'll either quit and get a job in the pros or come around to their way of thinking.

EDIT:  You know Daddy's gettin up in years.  How much you want to bet that, when he retires, Derek takes over?  I doubt I'd get any takers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was hoping we would see him ref some more of UND's games.