SiouxSports.com Forum

NCHC post season tourney format

SIOUXFAN97

Should NCHC switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus (Big10 model)  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCHC switch Postseason tourney to all games on campus

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Travel partners? What is this, NCC basketball?

If everything should remain as is, then people need to stop complaining about the Frozen Faceoff and poor attendance. And I still think St. Thomas is a school we must get in our league before another conference snatches them up.

Again, tell me the incentive for WMU to stay should Miami get the boot?  Hey recruits, those 9.5 to 14 hour bus rides to play UMD, Denver, and North Dakota will be awesome!

The fact is, Notre Dame was supposed to make this a “National” conference, not St Cloud State.  I don’t blame WMU or Miami for being disgruntled.  

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Travel partners? What is this, NCC basketball?

If everything should remain as is, then people need to stop complaining about the Frozen Faceoff and poor attendance. And I still think St. Thomas is a school we must get in our league before another conference snatches them up.

I’m so confused right now. According to the CHN standing, St. Thomas is already in a conference, the CCHA. 

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Take the current NCHC Frozen Faceoff out back and shoot it.  The B1G has this one right, on campus, all rounds.  

would you be in favor of the top two seeds in he nchc getting first round byes so they don't have to play a best of 3?  or is the revenue worth it?  or is a little weekend rest good for the 2 teams? 

only the top seed (minny) got a bye bc of the odd amount of teams in the big10

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would you be in favor of the top two seeds in he nchc getting first round byes so they don't have to play a best of 3?  or is the revenue worth it?  or is a little weekend rest good for the 2 teams? 

only the top seed (minny) got a bye bc of the odd amount of teams in the big10

I'd leave the first round the way it is.  The week away can be a plus or a minus.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

First round at higher seed, conference semi & final at regular season champs barn.

im ok with that...only problem is if the home team loses the semi...you get a lot of empty seats for the championship (maybe)...the big 10 assures you of a full house...semi's between ohio state and michigan and minny v msu...if minny would lose that game the highest remaining seed would host (and a sellout!) the tourney championship..on campus!

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

im ok with that...only problem is if the home team loses the semi...you get a lot of empty seats for the championship (maybe)...the big 10 assures you of a full house...semi's between ohio state and michigan and minny v msu...if minny would lose that game the highest remaining seed would host (and a sellout!) the tourney championship..on campus!

So over the course of 3 weekends..

Fans afford more trips? 

5 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

So over the course of 3 weekends..

Fans afford more trips? 

pluses and minuses to everything...since they could be anywhere depnding on who wins and which school...but it gives you more opportunities to go if you want (all of them too if you want)

have you voted yet?

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Again, tell me the incentive for WMU to stay should Miami get the boot?  Hey recruits, those 9.5 to 14 hour bus rides to play UMD, Denver, and North Dakota will be awesome!

The fact is, Notre Dame was supposed to make this a “National” conference, not St Cloud State.  I don’t blame WMU or Miami for being disgruntled.  

assuming the und drives to duluth and scsu?  fly the rest?

would western drive to miami and fly everywhere else? 

Leave it the way it is.  IMO  the way the WCHA and Big 10 does it, it doesn't feel like a conference tourney.  If I team loses in the Quarterfinals than they are off for 3 weeks, way too long.  Dragging the tourney out an extra weekend seems too much. 

If the #1 Seed host final weekend, how many fans are going to travel to the post season tourney on less than a weeks notice.   Also if the #1 seed loses in the semi's the Championship game will have no atmosphere.  

If I had my way I would kick Miami and W. Michigan out.  6 team conference with all teams making the trip to St Paul.  Also 6 teams would allow more Non-conference games and every team playing each other home and away.

17 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Leave it the way it is.  IMO  the way the WCHA and Big 10 does it, it doesn't feel like a conference tourney.  If I team loses in the Quarterfinals than they are off for 3 weeks, way too long.  Dragging the tourney out an extra weekend seems too much. 

If the #1 Seed host final weekend, how many fans are going to travel to the post season tourney on less than a weeks notice.   Also if the #1 seed loses in the semi's the Championship game will have no atmosphere.  

If I had my way I would kick Miami and W. Michigan out.  6 team conference with all teams making the trip to St Paul.  Also 6 teams would allow more Non-conference games and every team playing each other home and away.

that would only happen if the top seed hosted a two game tourney...the big 10 model guarantees a host team in the semi's and finals...if minny lost to msu then the highest remaining seed between osu, mich, and mich state would've hosted the championship game and it would've been packed to the roof (especailly if it was michigan v michigan state at yost)

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

At the conference tourney, the NCHC looked like what we initially laughed at the B1G for looking like.

Our new commish (the former SCSU AD) has her first leadership opportunity, ... and we're watching. 

what is he/she (at scsu you never know) waiting for ffs...

https://tommiesports.com/feature/lee-and-penny-anderson-arena

29 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i'd rather send a letter to the commish of the big10 stating why UND needs affiliate membership....

I'm interested in why all of a sudden people want to be in the Big 10.  UND is not going to get the Big 10 money, so what else is there.  Big 10 does not care about Hockey.  Besides money I don't see the upside of Big Ten hockey.  NCHC is having a down year, but is still the premier conference on a year to year basis.

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I'm interested in why all of a sudden people want to be in the Big 10.  UND is not going to get the Big 10 money, so what else is there.  Big 10 does not care about Hockey.  Besides money I don't see the upside of Big Ten hockey.  NCHC is having a down year, but is still the premier conference on a year to year basis.

NIL changed everything....UND can't simply afford to say to a recruti.." hey we're big bad UND".  It's not 1999 anymore...

I would much rather have Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Penn State come to REA than St Cloud tech and omaha and cc...call me weird.

Unlike the NCHC the Big10 quickly reversed course and brought their post season to campus instead of playing in front of 500 people in Joe Louis Arena....

Did you watch the Minny Michigan game....those two teams are light years ahead of us and alot of the other ncha teams....

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

NIL changed everything....UND can't simply afford to say to a recruti.." hey we're big bad UND".  It's not 1999 anymore...

I would much rather have Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Penn State come to REA than St Cloud tech and omaha and cc...call me weird.

Unlike the NCHC the Big10 quickly reversed course and brought their post season to campus instead of playing in front of 500 people in Joe Louis Arena....

Did you watch the Minny Michigan game....those two teams are light years ahead of us and alot of the other ncha teams....

UND's problem this year has nothing to do with NIL or being in the big ten.  

Minnesota fans don't even prefer to play those team and they are in the conference.  Sort of Miss playing Wisconsin & Minnesota, but the rest do nothing for me.

Post season on Campus feels very small time to me.

MInny and michigan are light years ahead of a lot of teams this year.  The were light years ahead last year and a team from the NCHC once again hung the NCAA banner.  Nevermind the fact UND went into Minn and split the series with them so it's not like they can't compete.  On the other hand did you see how UND was manhandled by Denver this year?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Green said:

UND's problem this year has nothing to do with NIL or being in the big ten.  

Minnesota fans don't even prefer to play those team and they are in the conference.  Sort of Miss playing Wisconsin & Minnesota, but the rest do nothing for me.

Post season on Campus feels very small time to me.

MInny and michigan are light years ahead of a lot of teams this year.  The were light years ahead last year and a team from the NCHC once again hung the NCAA banner.  Nevermind the fact UND went into Minn and split the series with them so it's not like they can't compete.  On the other hand did you see how UND was manhandled by Denver this year?

yes...the NIL is a huuuuge problem for UND last year, this year, and going forward unless Kris is gonna setup a NIL Group...rydell's and the shake shack on 32nd can only give so much to UND athletics...now they have to pay the hockey players more than Michigan and Ohio State can/could? big problem for UND

took a few years but big10 hockey is on the upswing...top 2 and 4 of top 11

playing in front of 500 people at a neutral site in pouskiskee is small time....

yes denver could win it this year but minny has sooooo much skill........but does humpty dumpty get them over the wall this year...i think he might.