SiouxSports.com Forum

The Frozen Faceoff…may it rest in peace

MafiaMan

I think the decision makers at the time of the formation of the NCHC naively thought they’d easily capture the magic of the WCHA Final Five with the Frozen Faceoff, not recognizing that most of the old WCHA member schools were within a day’s drive of the event, not to mention decades upon decades of cultivating and growing these rivalries that existed among UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Duluth, and to a lesser extent, CC and Denver. 

Having attended the first six Frozen Faceoffs, to show our fan support, coming out from Colorado took considerable time and expense. It got to the point where it felt like we were being price gauged between the cost of the tournament ticket packages and then the cost of concessions and beer once trapped inside the venue. As one can imagine, between DIA airport parking, airline tickets, rental car in the twin cities, hotel rooms, food and beverage, gas, etc., these annual weekend excursions were not cheap but we did it because we wanted to support the teams and the conference. After 2019, I kinda had enough and decided to vote with my wallet and, for the foreseeable future, take a break.  

I wrote to the NCHC following the conclusion of the 2019 tournament, expressing my disappointment with the prices charged inside the venue and for the tickets. And rather than acknowledging my feedback, I received a very short reply, deflecting blame for the high concession prices on the venue and no acknowledgment that the conference were the ones who made the decision to hire the venue and potentially having some influence or say on what the prices would be for concessions. 

• Upvote 2

It's frustrating because I want it to work, but the ship has sailed.  The atmosphere of the championship game didn't hold a candle to other conferences.  Let's play out the last two weekends as a single game semi and higher seed hosting championship game the next.  

I hate the B1G, but they figured out their conference tournament sucked.  And ours does now too.  If Denver is playing CC at Magness they are trying against the Tigers instead of going through the motions in front of UND and SCSU fans cheering for CC. 

I watched the WBC instead of CC and SCSU last night.  Just zero energy at the game.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

The year is 2919. Brad Berry is still the head coach, albeit in the form of a head in a glass jar. Coming fresh off of his 97th contract extension, he coaches UND to a win against Denver, led by 896th year senior Magnus Chrona. Louis Jamernik LXXVI is awarded player of the game, and both he and Berry are interviewed by Jake Brandt's great great great great great great great great great great great great grandson, wearing a suit with a combo of colors that have not been discovered yet. 

:lol:

I suppose UND dropped the word “Fighting” from “Fighting Hawks” by then too because it sounded too mean.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's frustrating because I want it to work, but the ship has sailed.  The atmosphere of the championship game didn't hold a candle to other conferences.  Let's play out the last two weekends as a single game semi and higher seed hosting championship game the next.  

I hate the B1G, but they figured out their conference tournament sucked.  And ours does now too.  If Denver is playing CC at Magness they are trying against the Tigers instead of going through the motions in front of UND and SCSU fans cheering for CC. 

I watched the WBC instead of CC and SCSU last night.  Just zero energy at the game.   

So did the WCHA (and now CCHA).

The 1986-87 season (we all remember that season fondly :)) was the last year of on-campus sites for the league playoffs (the two-game total goal series). In 1988, the WCHA launched the neutral site post-season tournament with first round games remaining on-campus (First called the Final Four, then Final Five). It took years to get built up into what it became. Unfortunately, the current alignment of teams does not allow a similar metamorphosis with regard to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff. So going Back To The Future (sorry, couldn't resist ;)) isn't as crazy as it sounds. It could work.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unfortunately, the current alignment of teams does not allow a similar metamorphosis with regard to the NCHC Frozen Faceoff. So going Back To The Future (sorry, couldn't resist ;)) isn't as crazy as it sounds. It could work.

D001B9BC-CC81-4A9A-86A1-5F1C65DA5A16.gif

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

The xcel is too big however maybe a smaller venue would be better. Maybe the conference torny winner host the FF? 

How about the 17,500 seat arena in downtown Omaha? Plus, Omaha’s more centrally located for all conference members and downtown Omaha is well equipped to host fanbases (they do it each and every year with the college World Series). 

6 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

The xcel is too big however maybe a smaller venue would be better. Maybe the conference torny winner host the FF? 

The conference tourney currently IS the Frozen Faceoff.  Are you suggesting that St Cloud State would host next year’s tournament because they won it this year?  If so, interesting idea…

11 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

How about the 17,500 seat arena in downtown Omaha? Plus, Omaha’s more centrally located for all conference members and downtown Omaha is well equipped to host fanbases (they do it each and every year with the college World Series). 

Sorry how is 17500 better than 18500? I would say des Moines or Sioux falls 

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The conference tourney currently IS the Frozen Faceoff.  Are you suggesting that St Cloud State would host next year’s tournament because they won it this year?  If so, interesting idea…

Sorry the regular season champion 

24 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The only potential issue is what to do if Miami or CC were to win the frozen Faceoff? (Unlikely I know given their history but still plausible). Their arenas only seat around 3,000-3,500. Hardly large enough to accommodate the demand. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Godsmack said:

The only potential issue is what to do if Miami or CC were to win the frozen Faceoff? (Unlikely I know given their history but still plausible). Their arenas only seat around 3,000-3,500. Hardly large enough to accommodate the demand. 

I might travel to CC.....to see you and Mrs. Godsmack but Miami? No bueno.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

I guess I'm not seeing how moving to Omaha (or Des Moines or Sioux Falls) fixes the problems we're seeing in the Twin Cities. 

• Upvote 2