SiouxSports.com Forum

Bad news: Greene arrested

administrator

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess what I was trying to say was this: Has UND had a few high profile problems recently? Yes, they have, was I lableing your program as bad, no. I was only trying to point out that in trying to protect your own, you end up looking like you are trying to hide the issue(s). The whole accusation on Chris McAlpine as being an example of Gopher "bad" players was shown to be not even him, but the apparent feeling here was he was guilty, w/o even knowing he was exonerated and his brother was the bad guy (example on how people have selective memory/jump to conclusions). Are there players/students/people in every program that cause problems? Heck yah, look at the Gopher FB/BB program a few years back...but with all the hype the UND hockey program has gotten the last few years (Bo, Prpich, Parise, Smamby and now Greene), one has to realise that your program is under a microscope and any more issues will reinforce people's opinion/prejudice of your program. Fans saying it is no big deal doesn't help. I personally feel that he needs to be proven guilty to have ANY action against him, even any games missed. That all said, the coaches of the program really need to hit home to these kids they are the people that the world thinks of when they think of your school/program and they really can't be human, they have to walk a tight line and HOPE they don't mess up.

WPoS

Imagine that-a college kid drinking! I'm not defending Greene but, speaking from experience, how many out there can honestly say they've never been questionable when driving home after being out to the bars? Unfortunately, I think most people "play the odds" and typically drive when they shouldn't. I know I have and it's really stupid.

A question I pose and I in no way have a conclusion one way or another is, if Greene is found "guilty" could stripping him of his Captain status possibly hurt the team more? Would that cause more friction/contraversy among the team than if, say, Greene publicly apologized to the team and/or was suspended for some games?

Everyone is looking for vulnerabilities in high profile people/programs. UND has a high profile in D1 hockey and garners a lot of attention. It doesn't matter the seriousness of MG's offense, the negative attention will usually be disproporionate to the offense. (that isn't to make light of driving and drinking. Only to say when you do something bad, you're going to get way more negative attention than the average joe, and that will reflect just as negatively on the program as well as individually.)

When the discussion about leadership comes about between Hak and MG, he needs to understand how much negative attention is focused on the UND program when something like this happens. As a captain on the team, he should be a steward of the image of the program, as well as a leader in performance.

Greene has been suspended for this weekend series. There was no mention on the captaincy, so I'm assuming he still has it.

Does anyone know if Riley Riddell is still on the Bemidji team. He is the player that was charged with third-degree sexual assault, but the charges were dropped because the state could not prove it was criminal, even though an off duty police officer recorded the events on his cell phone, including male voices yelling "pillage her."

Just wondering if he is still on the team or if he graduated.

This is from Inside College Hockey January 6, 2005, CHA Notebook.

Also before the break, prosecutors in Anoka County, Minn., citing a lack of evidence, dropped sexual assault charges against Bemidji State player Riley Riddell and two non-athletes for an alleged rape near BSU's campus. Despite the charges being dropped, Riddell was not invited to rejoin the Beavers.

Does anyone know if Riley Riddell is still on the Bemidji team. He is the player that was charged with third-degree sexual assault, but the charges were dropped because the state could not prove it was criminal, even though an off duty police officer recorded the events on his cell phone, including male voices yelling "pillage her."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Riley Riddell is no longer on the team. I was told by a person in the Know with BSU that he is playing professional hockey somewhere, I thought I was told the WPHL or something like that. I would ask Millsy or one of the Boys from the Beaver Pond.

Riley Riddell is no longer on the team. I was told by a person in the Know with BSU that he is playing professional hockey somewhere, I thought I was told the WPHL or something like that. I would ask Millsy or one of the Boys from the Beaver Pond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Riley Riddell is currently on the roster for the Idaho Steelheads. The only post I've made in over 2 weeks and it's about some kid I've never even heard of until I read this thread, pathetic isn't it ? :blush: Go Sioux !!!

Interesting but off topic.

In Montana you can still drink and drive.  Not drive drunk, but chug a beer while driving to the lake.  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In New Orleans you can order mixed drinks through drive thrus at liquor stores. Or at least you could at one time 1980-present.

Greene has been suspended for this weekend series. There was no mention on the captaincy, so I'm assuming he still has it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He does and hopefully this incident will be a wake up call not only for Greene but everyone else on the team to consider the potential consequences of their actions. Everyone makes mistakes and a previoius poster has pointed out - which one of us hasn't gotten behind the wheel when they shouldn't have? Thank God we're not talking about the pedestrian he mowed down or the house he plowed into. You can argue about the degree of the "punishment" but he'll be paying (literally!) for this mistake for a LONG time!

You can get drive thru drinks in Rolette, ND too(or at least you could about 4 or 5 years ago). Probably a few other small towns around the state as well??? :blush:

Totally off topic here, but a few years ago my softball team was in Texas for a National softball tourney in late September. Too save money we flew into Dallas and rented 2 vans for the drive to Midland. We loaded up with some beers for the road trip(the drivers excluded). At the tourney we were talking to a Sheriff's Deputy about how we could not believe that you could do that in Texas. He laughed and said "well you could do that in Texas up until Sept. 1, but not anymore" Whoops. He laughed and siad the new slogan in Texas was "Come to Texas on Vacation, go home on probation" :D

Hennesey asked Zajac after the game...What got you going in between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Zajac's answer...Our captain, Matt Greene came in and really got us going.

It seems the players still respect him.

Hennesey asked Zajac after the game...What got you going in between the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Zajac's answer...Our captain, Matt Greene came in and really got us going.

It seems the players still respect him.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Therefore, we should all stop questioning why he is the Captain and stop wishing him off the team. He may have taken a couple of penalties doing it but I think I can safely say that Green would have hammered some of the Beavers who planted themselves in front of Lammy last night.

Therefore, we should all stop questioning why he is the Captain and stop wishing him off the team. He may have taken a couple of penalties doing it but I think I can safely say that Green would have hammered some of the Beavers who planted themselves in front of Lammy last night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. Our players make mistakes, some of those mistakes cost us, but I'll NEVER say that our D or our forwards should suffer misfortune.

Yes, I do recall I did not have anything good to say about Siembida, but I guess you'll just have to trust the fact that those players currently on this team, and on teams of the future, will not be so criticized as Josh was from the likes of me.