SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

UND-SPORTS-FAN

Just now, SD UND said:

In essence you’re correct.

When Augie was number 1 in the country i don’t think D1s were banging in the doors begging to play them so that they could play better competition. 

same with northern when they had their little run- no one in this region was gonna schedule them from a D1 standpoint 

if you’re gonna schedule a non D1 you’re going to schedule a guarantee win- I’ve had to say that over and over again and i don’t know why that’s a hard concept to grasp 

So again, you’re choosing to ignore my original solution. Schedule better “local” NAIA or D3 teams…….

It really isn’t that hard. Will be better competition for at least a half or even a little into the second half. Makes everybody better and should be a guaranteed win. Not a 40 point blowout that nobody likes to play in or watch. It’s not complicated. 

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

So again, you’re choosing to ignore my original solution. Schedule better “local” NAIA or D3 teams…….

It really isn’t that hard. Will be better competition for at least a half or even a little into the second half. Makes everybody better and should be a guaranteed win. Not a 40 point blowout that nobody likes to play in or watch. It’s not complicated. 

It appears as though that’s exactly what they did with this game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SD UND said:

In essence you’re correct.

When Augie was number 1 in the country i don’t think D1s were banging in the doors begging to play them so that they could play better competition. 

same with northern when they had their little run- no one in this region was gonna schedule them from a D1 standpoint 

if you’re gonna schedule a non D1 you’re going to schedule a guarantee win- I’ve had to say that over and over again and i don’t know why that’s a hard concept to grasp 

I understand for some teams why that would apply but for UND what does losing to a Northern st really do? Not like it matters for the Summit League tournament and there is already a 0.1% chance the Summit is getting a 2nd team in March Madness. So just makes us play better competition.

Now do those NSIC want to do the same thing as UND and play a lesser team at home, most likely yes so I can see how that is a problem.

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Because they all want home games as well. 

I think a third game, vs NDSU, played annually in Bismarck could be kind of a neat idea.  Would be a way to showcase the state universities to North Dakotans who live farther West.  Could make it a neutral site tournament potentialy as well, sponsored by ND Tourism or something. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

This team is special

Still concerned about the lack of true shooters from the outside on this team.  Other than Eaglestaff, who is there BJ maybe on good days? Eli King certainly doesn't like to shoot as he always looks to pass first.  

1 minute ago, ND1 said:

Still concerned about the lack of true shooters from the outside on this team.  Other than Eaglestaff, who is there BJ maybe on good days? Eli King certainly doesn't like to shoot as he always looks to pass first.  

Shooting is a major concern once we play better competition and get into league play. Currently shooting 27% from three as a team with our highest being Treysen at 37%. Next highest is TT as 31%.

It's going how I predicted it would go all off-season/pre-season. Lot of season left but Omot is shooting 19% from three. I remember someone telling me he would shoot near 40% from three this year. 

26 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Shooting is a major concern once we play better competition and get into league play. Currently shooting 27% from three as a team with our highest being Treysen at 37%. Next highest is TT as 31%.

It's going how I predicted it would go all off-season/pre-season. Lot of season left but Omot is shooting 19% from three. I remember someone telling me he would shoot near 40% from three this year. 

I’m really interested to see how teams guard us when they have a full scouting report and a real game plan in place. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Maybe he should be??

You know you don’t believe that. 

We will have to figure out how to break a zone, that’s for sure. Teams are going to let us shoot all day from 3, I’d imagine. I’m not trying to look to next year already but our two biggest needs have to be a big and a shooter. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

You know you don’t believe that. 

We will have to figure out how to break a zone, that’s for sure. Teams are going to let us shoot all day from 3, I’d imagine. I’m not trying to look to next year already but our two biggest needs have to be a big and a shooter. 

You will have Eaglestaff, Tyre and Kraft that can all shoot next year.  I would imagine that next years shooting % from the 3 will be greatly improved just with the players they have now.  

1 minute ago, ND1 said:

You will have Eaglestaff, Tyre and Kraft that can all shoot next year.  I would imagine that next years shooting % from the 3 will be greatly improved just with the players they have now.  

Tyree isn’t an abomination from 3 but he’s not a shooter either. Shot 34% last year but only 16 makes. I’d be surprised if Kraft is seeing many minutes next year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Tyree isn’t an abomination from 3 but he’s not a shooter either. Shot 34% last year but only 16 makes. I’d be surprised if Kraft is seeing many minutes next year. 

I will disagree on Kraft, I am told the coaching staff has been overly impressed with him and the one most game ready to play from the freshman group.  Time will tell I guess.  

Just now, ND1 said:

I will disagree on Kraft, I am told the coaching staff has been overly impressed with him and the one most game ready to play from the freshman group.  Time will tell I guess.  

Oh I really liked him in that game but assuming no portal entries (I know, tough to assume) all we lose is Brady and T. Tyree is going to take major minutes and then we need a big for sure. Will be hard for Kraft to carve his way to much playing time. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Yeah Tyree can't shoot either.

And if Kraft is getting minutes next year then UND really has problems.