SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (8-17, 2-10) vs DU (13-13, 4-9) 2/9 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

Fire Sather!  The problem with getting on the "fire the coach" bandwagon early in the season is that, especially with a young team like we've got,  the coach has to be given the better part of a season to develop the younger players and to develop the team into the way that he wants them to play and to develop them into a "team."  I don't know how they'll do from here on out, but right now they may be playing as well as anyone in the conference.  Now watch them go out and lay an egg on Saturday.:D  Seriously, they have an opportunity Saturday to continue developing confidence and momentum heading toward the conference tournament.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Why does everyone hate Jones so much? 

I've never hated him but never seemed to embrace him.  Think he got a few bad breaks* with the Huff group but happy he broke through with Q. 

*I have been a full believer that UND was a dumb NCAA decision (Nash's eligibility) and a unintended elbow to the head (Brekke) away from 2 NCAA tournament apperances (When Huff and Company were JRs and SRs).

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I liken Jones a bit to Chris Mussman. He could get talent, or at least did until the end, but they seemed to underachieve imo. Just don’t think he was a good actual coach in games. I know Sather isn’t liked by all but I think he is the far superior X’s and O’s coach. 

47 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Please No pages out of Jones handbook. 

Not that I thought Jones was great (I thought it was mutually beneficial when he left), but an NCAA tournament game against a known basketball commodity with the crowd on your side as the role of underdog would be pretty sweet again. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Not that I thought Jones was great (I thought it was mutually beneficial when he left), but an NCAA tournament game against a known basketball commodity with the crowd on your side as the role of underdog would be pretty sweet again. 

You’re not wrong. I’m probably too harsh on Jones but it was time to move on at the end. 

8 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It is crazy to say... that they could get to 13-18 by the time Sioux Falls rolls around if they keep playing like this?

I was saying they could be top half of the conference after those couple of non conference wins. I will say it is a lot more fun to be the better team on the floor for all 40 minutes. I hope it continues 

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

Agree! Was at that NCAA tournament game and it was awesome! Whole crowd cheering for UND as we went on the second half run to bring it back to a 7 point game against 2 seed Arizona! Would be awesome to have that again! 

30 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Hooker and Crandall ate up their guards all night.  But we didn't have three 7 footers like they did :D

That is true! Carson Shanks and Drick Bernstein did about as good of a job as they could have though! That game helped Carson get to Loyola who made the final four the next year and Drick go to and be successful at Washington. We had some really talented players under Jones that went to play at big time schools and professionally.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, homer said:

The team played well last night.  The emotion from the team was fun to watch.  I liked to see the small things like when Denver tried to make a couple runs the team made a play or two to swing momentum.  

As Trent has improved the team has improved

he can get to the rim quickly

thought Trey had a good game even tho his shots were rimming out, great court awareness 

Nice to see Mitch play some good minutes too

19 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

That is true! Carson Shanks and Drick Bernstein did about as good of a job as they could have though! That game helped Carson get to Loyola who made the final four the next year and Drick go to and be successful at Washington. We had some really talented players under Jones that went to play at big time schools and professionally.

I wish those two didn't leave.  I think a Geno/Drick/Seales/Avants/Shanks group could have done some damage in the BSC that year.  Maybe not have won it, but would have done very well that year. 

12 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

My opinion, but he seemed to be about as bad of an under 2-minute Coach as there is. Awful temperament did not feel like he was in control. This one is sort of weird, but his appearance was so sloppy. His suits were 2 sizes too big. 

Back to Sather and this team. It'll take more than a win on Saturday to make me reconsider where I'm currently at, but things can change. Two dominant wins in a row definitely has my attention. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I wish those two didn't leave.  I think a Geno/Drick/Seales/Avants/Shanks group could have done some damage in the BSC that year.  Maybe not have won it, but would have done very well that year. 

Absolutely! Tough to argue Geno leaving to Gonzaga, Shanks to Loyola, and Drick to Washington, but it would have been fun to see that group! 

Edit: Crandall left the following year. But that group would have done well in the BSC if Drick and Shanks were still there.