Kab's Poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Coach Sather Contract Decision

• Contract Extension for Coach Sather
    • Removal of Coach Sather Immediately
    • Removal of Coach Sather after 2022-2023 Season
    • Coach Sather completes his 5 year deal and then make a decision

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unless you're Bill Chaves your vote matters none. 

Don't forget Andy Armacost gets a vote on Bill Chaves. 

You're "technically" right...but a sharp vote of no confidence from the most active fans of the program looks a lot like a referendum on Coach Sather...and that should carry some weight with the brass.

I like Sather...I still think he can coach...but for whatever reason the men's basketball program is in an unacceptable place in my book.  I believe he has one year left on his contract.  Lame duck status is a bad option that will be used against us in recruiting.  I don't like the idea of starting over but I think that's what's warranted, absent a late season run.  I will be the first to pipe up about lack of support relative to our peers anchoring the program down, because I think it's a major issue...but this was supposed to be the year we saw improvement...and so far that's not happening.

• Upvote 1

Strange the way  people think

some want you to contact the AD about removing Sather and then when there is a simple poll on how people think they say this won’t  influence the Ad

do you think contacting the AD will influence him?

the poll I suggested wasn’t meant to influence the AD

carry on

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

When did anyone say that this is going to decide what will actually happen??? This was a poll to see how some of the programs biggest fans actually feel. You know... the point of a public forum....

The programs biggest fans?  I’m not convinced. Programs biggest critics?  Maybe. I’m always amazed at the folks who criticize coaches, players, officials, and whose only answer is to fire the coach, get their bloomers in a wrinkle when someone would disagree or criticize. You know… the point of a public forum. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The programs biggest fans?  I’m not convinced. Programs biggest critics?  Maybe. I’m always amazed at the folks who criticize coaches, players, officials, and whose only answer is to fire the coach, get their bloomers in a wrinkle when someone would disagree or criticize. You know… the point of a public forum. 

I would say that if we weren't the biggest fans we wouldn't care that our team is consistently in last place.  Fans are the ones that want the best for our team and school.  I understand some people are satisfied with mediocrity and losing.  But as a big fan we only want to see the team succeed.   How can someone say the team is going in the right direction with 2 years of being in last place?   If I was a car salesman and wasn't selling cars how long would I have my job?  Two years?  If a coach is hired to win games and doesnt win games how long do you wait?  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I would say that if we weren't the biggest fans we wouldn't care that our team is consistently in last place.  Fans are the ones that want the best for our team and school.  I understand some people are satisfied with mediocrity and losing.  But as a big fan we only want to see the team succeed.   How can someone say the team is going in the right direction with 2 years of being in last place?   If I was a car salesman and wasn't selling cars how long would I have my job?  Two years?  If a coach is hired to win games and doesnt win games how long do you wait?  

Blah-blah-blah GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

NewUndFan, HoopsFan03, GoodGood- rinse, repeat

40 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

iramurphy = Karen 

Nice remark Sparky. Why don’t you and the others who have all of the answers pool your funds and buyout Sather’s contract. Some have suggested that. You folks then  need to get together and pool your funds and make an offer to UND decision makers. That is a frequent answer to our program struggles in multiple sports and it’s a reasonable consideration. Without the funds it won’t happen, but those clamoring for coaching change want it done with someone else’s money. There are enough of you to toss in $50,000 per person and you may be able to make it happen.  Maybe could get coaching change in FB while you are at it but that may cost $100,000 per donor. 
If you and your pals want coaching changes make it happen. My point was that a poll serves no purpose, but if you and your pals feel better have at it. 

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Nice remark Sparky. Why don’t you and the others who have all of the answers pool your funds and buyout Sather’s contract. Some have suggested that. You folks then  need to get together and pool your funds and make an offer to UND decision makers. That is a frequent answer to our program struggles in multiple sports and it’s a reasonable consideration. Without the funds it won’t happen, but those clamoring for coaching change want it done with someone else’s money. There are enough of you to toss in $50,000 per person and you may be able to make it happen.  Maybe could get coaching change in FB while you are at it but that may cost $100,000 per donor. 
If you and your pals want coaching changes make it happen. My point was that a poll serves no purpose, but if you and your pals feel better have at it. 

If I had that much control I certainly would.  The poll was done in fun to see how the forum would like to see the coaching situation play out.  No one thinks that it is going to affect how the A.D. handles the situation.   Also when someone posted earlier that we should call the A.D. home phone you jumped right in how that is not a good idea when clearly the person making the comment was joking.   Hence why you = KAREN 

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

My opinion, right or wrong is 5 years. It gives a coach a chance to build his or her program with their own recruits. I’m not sure if Sather can get this done, but I like his freshmen. Missing on Nelson hurt. My life doesn’t revolve around UND athletics so although it’s frustrating to see our teams struggle, it doesn’t affect me. It’s great when we have loyal fans who attend games whenever they can and do their best to support our programs. They recurring theme of people who don’t lose sleep because of the success or lack of success of our athletic teams are satisfied with mediocrity is nonsense. It was different when I played or coached but those days are long gone. Nothing wrong with different opinions or solutions, but that should mean we can disagree. 

1. You can't have a coach with only 1 year left on their contract that is in the hottest hot seat you can possibly be in. No recruit wants to commit to the school knowing that most likely that coach will be fired before they get there.

2. He has had his time to recruit his guys. And his guys have done nothing but put us consistently into being a bottom 10 team in all of D1 basketball! He has also shown that he cannot keep his guys at his school. Maybe people should be concerned that no players want to play for him after being in his program for a year???

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

My opinion, right or wrong is 5 years. It gives a coach a chance to build his or her program with their own recruits. I’m not sure if Sather can get this done, but I like his freshmen. Missing on Nelson hurt. My life doesn’t revolve around UND athletics so although it’s frustrating to see our teams struggle, it doesn’t affect me. It’s great when we have loyal fans who attend games whenever they can and do their best to support our programs. They recurring theme of people who don’t lose sleep because of the success or lack of success of our athletic teams are satisfied with mediocrity is nonsense. It was different when I played or coached but those days are long gone. Nothing wrong with different opinions or solutions, but that should mean we can disagree. 

This thread was created to do exactly that.  It's literally a poll asking what people's opinion is.  Also, the buyout is only 80k.  If the AD thinks he has the wrong coach, he can easily cover that through the existing budget.  If not, they could follow through with cutting men's golf as they were supposed to.

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ask UM-Duluth about Sandelin.
Ask SDSU about Stig

If you believe you have made the right choice in the long run you ride out the short term pain. 

Good point.  Sather reminds me of Stig.  Can be a winners if placed in a good position, but don't really have what it takes to do more with less, if that makes sense. Given UND's funding and the place the program sits on the totem pole, both locally and nationally, I don't think Sather is the best fit for UND at this point.  I dont necessarily think he's a bad coach either, and I prefer his philosophy, but I kinda think UND Basketball just needs more of a Deion or PJ Fleck type of personality to help shine a spotlight on the team locally, and to differentiate UND from other low major programs nationally.  Another reason I'm ready to move on is because I think Herbst deserves the opportunity to show what he can do, and letting him finish out the season would allow him that.  Additionally, if Sather is retained, what are his expectations for next year?  Even if he improves to .500 in d1 games, that's still a mediocre season, especially for his 5th year.  Is anything better than that truly realistic?  Say he does go exactly .500, then what?  Is that where our expectations are or should be?  Just seems like we will be delaying the inevitable if we don't move on now.  Truly hope I'm wrong.  

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

... UND Basketball just needs more of a Deion or PJ Fleck type of personality to help shine a spotlight ... I think Herbst deserves the opportunity ... 

That is the most self-contradicting thing I believe you've ever written, because the last thing I think of when I think "Randall Herbst" is spotlight personality. 

19 minutes ago, Kab said:

Do recruits ask how many years a coach has left on their contract?

Do they ask, no. But do they find out? Yes. Anyone being recruited by UND would know that Sather is on the hot seat judging by the records the last 2 years and his time at UND. They absolutely question if he will be the coach again next year. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That is the most self-contradicting thing I believe you've ever written, because the last thing I think of when I think "Randall Herbst" is spotlight personality. 

Need a Bob knight throw the chair type?