Kab's Poll  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Coach Sather Contract Decision

• Contract Extension for Coach Sather
    • Removal of Coach Sather Immediately
    • Removal of Coach Sather after 2022-2023 Season
    • Coach Sather completes his 5 year deal and then make a decision

3 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Exactly! Us season ticket holders that are at every game, watch every single road game online, travel to road games at times. We have no opinion in this public forum unless we pay $50k out of our own pockets to buy out the current coach. It makes a lot of sense! Just shows you what type of people the minions truly are! 

On second thought, I think I'm going to start selling Sather's Minions merch! All proceeds will go to buying out Sather from his current contract. That way I am allowed an opinion in this forum and am allowed to talk. Will that work Minions??

On the contrary, you just expressed your opinion and I doubt you gave UND $50,000. 

On 1/25/2023 at 2:13 PM, UND08 said:

You're "technically" right...but a sharp vote of no confidence from the most active fans of the program looks a lot like a referendum on Coach Sather...and that should carry some weight with the brass.

I like Sather...I still think he can coach...but for whatever reason the men's basketball program is in an unacceptable place in my book.  I believe he has one year left on his contract.  Lame duck status is a bad option that will be used against us in recruiting.  I don't like the idea of starting over but I think that's what's warranted, absent a late season run.  I will be the first to pipe up about lack of support relative to our peers anchoring the program down, because I think it's a major issue...but this was supposed to be the year we saw improvement...and so far that's not happening.

It would appear "The most active fans" are choosing not to vote.

10 hours ago, Kab said:

Do recruits ask how many years a coach has left on their contract?

Yes. I experienced that question personally more than once.  Not only that, but opposing teams use it against schools where it is rumored that a coach is either taking a different job or losing their job. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't phrase it most active fans it may be on this board but to me most active fans are people who are attending games and are season ticket holders for the basketball team. Until we hear from these fans the poll above means little to me, you're talking about less than 50 people involved in this poll and even of that its less than 30 people wanting to change coach. The poll most important is the people attending the games and Alumni of UND and finally the Athletic Director and President of the University. My gut feeling is that we're not there and probably because UND fans are pretty knowledgeable understand we have very young team and are watching this team progress and see potential of these players. Things that might change their minds if we lose these players at end of the season, but I don't think that's going to happen either. We have just gone through abnormal time in college sports and i think players going into portal is going to slow down because large number that have done this outcome has not been that favorable. I look at top teams in conference because of covid extension were seeing players with 5- and 6-years college basketball. Look at South Dakota State this year's team would not have Arians, Dentlinger, and Luke Apple three starters that are playing 5th year of college basketball there is world of difference in true freshmen playing against experienced players. I believe number of teams have these players on their teams starting. Now we get to us the two players that fit this extra year of playing time are Sueker and Nero neither are starting and both coming of serious injuries last year and to my judgement have not recovered fully from their injuries. I believe this distortion of rosters is ending and we will see how we stack up when teams will not have this stockpile of older talent playing.  This is why i believe the AD will give Sather longer leash than many of you called active fans would like and will continue to voice your displeasure. I believe he will get one- or two-year extension because if we don't do that pretty much impossible to retain players and recruit the talent this university needs to compete. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, iramurphy said:

I didn’t say I thought the program was going in the right direction. My comment about a buyout was to those who are frustrated someone else isn’t doing it. I’ve never liked the comments from those who have answers as long as someone else pays for it. My comments aren’t to everyone who wants a coaching change but to those who want someone else to pay for a buyout. I have no issues with those whose opinion is to change coaches. Maybe they are correct. I’m not blind. My basketball experiences, and coaching experiences are irrelevant. You may think your basketball experience and expertise far exceeds mine and anyone else who isn’t in full agreement. You may be right.  I’m smart enough to know I haven’t kept up with either sport to think I can coach. Maybe others have. My initial comment was after a post related to a poll that might influence UND “brass”.  I made another comment about the AD’s home phone number. Some of you infer an awful lot from nothing.  Because one disagrees there is no reason to take it as an offense. 

You're ignoring the fact that "other people's money" isn't needed for a buyout that only costs 80k.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

You're ignoring the fact that "other people's money" isn't needed for a buyout that only costs 80k.  

His contract runs through April 2024. Salary was around $180 000. Salary plus benefits are likely around $190,000. Dump him now and buyout would be next year plus $45,000 for the remaining 3 months through April 2023. In my experience buying out school administrators, it would be the cost of salary and benefits for the remainder of the contract plus attorney fees and any incentives to get them to move on if you would like to minimize hassles. In this case, with the lack of success of the program, you probably would have to throw in incentives. I’m not sure where you came up with only $80,000. I’ve estimated based on base salary I found listed on one source. I would estimate a buyout at the end of this season to be at least $190,000 which is a conservative estimate of salary and benefits for April 2023-April 2024. I’m guessing.
Show me what I’m missing. So who pays for it? I’m not going to. To be clear, I haven’t suggested those who want Sather gone should pick up the tab. I suggested those who want to buy him out now, have some boosters donate the money or find money in the budget, should pick up the tab. 
I would rather weather the storm and spend the $190,000-$235,000 on better coaches salaries or program upgrades wherever needed. I also would spend from now until the end of his contract searching for viable candidates. 
I’m sure the real “best fans” (or whatever they claim to be) and our BB experts with a better understanding of BB, coaching, contracts, buyouts etc than I have, will be happy to point much better solutions. 

On 1/26/2023 at 10:02 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Ask UM-Duluth about Sandelin.
Ask SDSU about Stig

If you believe you have made the right choice in the long run you ride out the short term pain. 

@The Sicatoka I am not sure that's a fair comparison, this basketball team is a dumpster fire with no end in site, and his record something like 37-73 that's an horrendous record. 

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

@The Sicatoka I am not sure that's a fair comparison, this basketball team is a dumpster fire with no end in site, and his record something like 37-73 that's an horrendous record. 

Take out the 7 wins against d3 and NAIA teams and its 30-73. 3-25 in conference the last two years. A dumpster fire is putting it kindly at this point

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe we’ll get lucky and he’ll move on to be assistant at South Dakota state like Jones did

I think our best bet is Saul Phillips takes another leap and it opens the head coaching position back at Northern. I think they’d take him back. 

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

His contract runs through April 2024. Salary was around $180 000. Salary plus benefits are likely around $190,000. Dump him now and buyout would be next year plus $45,000 for the remaining 3 months through April 2023. In my experience buying out school administrators, it would be the cost of salary and benefits for the remainder of the contract plus attorney fees and any incentives to get them to move on if you would like to minimize hassles. In this case, with the lack of success of the program, you probably would have to throw in incentives. I’m not sure where you came up with only $80,000. I’ve estimated based on base salary I found listed on one source. I would estimate a buyout at the end of this season to be at least $190,000 which is a conservative estimate of salary and benefits for April 2023-April 2024. I’m guessing.
Show me what I’m missing. So who pays for it? I’m not going to. To be clear, I haven’t suggested those who want Sather gone should pick up the tab. I suggested those who want to buy him out now, have some boosters donate the money or find money in the budget, should pick up the tab. 
I would rather weather the storm and spend the $190,000-$235,000 on better coaches salaries or program upgrades wherever needed. I also would spend from now until the end of his contract searching for viable candidates. 
I’m sure the real “best fans” (or whatever they claim to be) and our BB experts with a better understanding of BB, coaching, contracts, buyouts etc than I have, will be happy to point much better solutions. 

Screenshot_20230128_221341_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230128_221409_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Upvote 1