SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

11 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

By studying our tendencies and developing strategies. Innit what dey a-pose tuh do?

Our troubles don’t stem from what other teams are doing.     
Our problems are almost always a result of self-inflicted mistakes  

—>  A lack of attention to detail, lack of poise, can’t play a full 60, not learning from mistakes, etc. etc.  

2 hours ago, SKondrashkin said:

Our troubles don’t stem from what other teams are doing.     
Our problems are almost always a result of self-inflicted mistakes  

—>  A lack of attention to detail, lack of poise, can’t play a full 60, not learning from mistakes, etc. etc.  

and that is exactly the position that puts us where we are. What other teams are doing directly affects how we are playing. If North Dakota coaches realized that, they might actually evolve and try something different.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Our forwards don’t back check well. Look at the plus minus. This isn’t rocket science. Frisch and Kleven have both regressed defensively.

Like I said after Friday:

Frisch can direct traffic and call coverage all day, but if no one back checks and covers all he'll get for his trouble is a minus. 

At risk of repeating myself, 9 and 17 are defensive liabilities. Stats say 22 is no better. All are -9. They all need more team defense in their game. And who's out there with them most often? Our best defender, 15, who gets the -9 prize of being with them while trying to do it all defensively by himself (see above). 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Like I said after Friday:

Frisch can direct traffic and call coverage all day, but if no one back checks and covers all he'll get for his trouble is a minus. 

At risk of repeating myself, 9 and 17 are defensive liabilities. Stats say 22 is no better. All are -9. They all need more team defense in their game. And who's out there with them most often? Our best defender, 15, who gets the -9 prize of being with them while trying to do it all defensively by himself (see above). 

He can scream coverages until the cows come home. If guys to cover the wing, he needs to step up and play the spot. I’m not gonna say it’s a lack of effort, but I will say it’s careless defensive zone play.

17 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

A good chunk of our forwards always look lost in the d zone. 

In the timespan of 2020-2022* was there a lack of player fundamentals development in lower tier hockey because of reduced coaching contact? If so, are we seeing it now and those fundamentals need to be (re-)taught like pee-wees/squirts all over. 

If you don't constantly reinforce fundamentals they are lost quickly. 

*Not using the word, just citing the timeframe. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A defenseman can't keep the shooter to the outside and cover a trailer on an odd-man. 

Any theories on why a team with our experience and at this point in the year can't understand basic defensive positioning, assignments, and coverage.  Game after Game.  This is the big mystery of this team. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

When 17 “forgot” to cover that guy out front I was like oh boy. We get on squirts for that. His weak backhand to clear the zone later in the game was terrible as well. Should have just eaten it on the wall.

similar to 25, not sure what the point of leaving would be. I’d spend another year developing. 

Not only defensive zone coverage for Gaber, but in the offensive zone I would like to know how many turnovers he has that gives the opposition odd man rushes the other way.  If you look closely, he turns the puck over quite frequently when he tries to stickhandle.  He is most effective when someone like Blake get's him the puck and he doesn't hesitate and stick handle too much.  Certainly they must have analytics for his turnover ratio.  The sad part about this whole year is that the year we finally are stellar on the power play, we are absolutely horrid five on five, both offensively and defensively.  Our record certainly would be better with an extra save here or there, but they need to figure out how to play at least even five on five. 

3 minutes ago, Irish said:

Any theories on why a team with our experience and at this point in the year can't understand basic defensive positioning, assignments, and coverage.  Game after Game.  This is the big mystery of this team. 

The mystery to me is why they say all of the right things about how they need to focus on defense first and the offense will come from the transition,  like after the first series in Western Michigan, but how they have a short memory and are right back to playing shinny hockey the next week.  

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

Doesn’t the coaching staff have some blame in this they see the plays but still trot the same players out every shift, maybe a few shifts at the end of the bench would send a message that you play the right way or you sit. On second thought maybe their playing Berrys style , we don’t know. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Doesn’t the coaching staff have some blame in this they see the plays but still trot the same players out every shift, maybe a few shifts at the end of the bench would send a message that you play the right way or you sit. 

Coaches are in a tough place.  Because if you start sitting kids because they don't care about playing D there is this new evil thing called the transfer portal and they will pack up their toys and leave.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Coaches are in a tough place.  Because if you start sitting kids because they don't care about playing D there is this new evil thing called the transfer portal and they will pack up their toys and leave.

You can definitely see that there are some guys that are never held accountable and some guys that are scapegoats and held accountable.  Not the way to run a good hockey team.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

If you don't play as a member of a team, the portal's over there. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

You can definitely see that there are some guys that are never held accountable and some guys that are scapegoats and held accountable.  Not the way to run a good hockey team.  

If the coaches are playing favorites, we can find new coaches. 

10 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

But what about our Culture that Berry talks about and recruits for?

One could expect 9 and 22 to not be 200 foot college players right away in their first year. 17 you should expect that. Call me crazy but watching our centers so far and going with @The Sicatoka getter setter scorer concept....21 9 17. Could then go 18 22 10. Then 8 26 20. 29 27 19/28. 21 has the speed and skill IMO to potentially play with those two plus he has a physical and a defensive presence 22 doesn't give you.

• Upvote 1