SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I recall the announcers in the SDSU game saying multiple times that none of the receivers were open.  That can't still be a problem is it?  He might not have the strongest arm ever, but it seems like it's good enough to attempt more than zero throws down field.  Maybe it's something to do with his progression - is he just not looking at receivers with longer routes, either by choice or play calling?

This is a 45 yard throw that he released fairly quickly.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I recall the announcers in the SDSU game saying multiple times that none of the receivers were open.  That can't still be a problem is it?  He might not have the strongest arm ever, but it seems like it's good enough to attempt more than zero throws down field.  Maybe it's something to do with his progression - is he just not looking at receivers with longer routes, either by choice or play calling?

Smith was open for a walk-in TD against Drake and Tommy pounded it into his ankles from 10 yards (that darn 10 yd box again).......if you can't make that throw against inferior competition what do you think he'll do against superior competition.......dawhoops!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I recall the announcers in the SDSU game saying multiple times that none of the receivers were open.  That can't still be a problem is it? 

Channeling my inner @geaux_sioux, our guys can't create separation. And throwing to a covered receiver begs poor outcomes. 

A passing game is not just a QB. It's a line giving time for receivers to get open and the QB time to find them. Any one of those links fail and the chain fails. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

And to contrast, many times SDSU WR's were wide open....and Gronowski had all kinds of time. Even on that throw to Belquist....which he didn't sit back there too long as it looks like it was a straight go route, Tommy got drilled right after he threw it. Part of reason though that SDSU's receivers were wide open might be because we were afraid of getting burned deep which opened up the intermediate routes. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Channeling my inner @geaux_sioux, our guys can't create separation. And throwing to a covered receiver begs poor outcomes. 

A passing game is not just a QB. It's a line giving time for receivers to get open and the QB time to find them. Any one of those links fail and the chain fails. 

Is Nate D "open in this picture"?

Screenshot2023-09-1610_47_09PM.png.e0e68a4884f66971f40323403f82d45d.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A passing play is 3D, no, 4D (time). 
Where's Tommy and what's his view?
What's the cover/attack angle of the DB?
What's beyond the receiver if you go high and off hands? 

2D is missing a dimension and time (4D). 

If these are the things going thru Tommy's head instead of just making the easy pass no wonder he pounded that about 5 yards short.

14 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I disagree with this one, I think Shannon is fine on the 360 podcasts and does a pretty good job. 

No doubt the podcast is of high quality, but is it a true representation of the program?  I would say mostly it is, but Like I said before, how much are true feelings reserved because you’re talking to the brother of the coach?

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

If these are the things going thru Tommy's head instead of just making the easy pass no wonder he pounded that about 5 yards short.

No, those are things armchair "experts" like us get to micro-analyze on the DVR time and again. 

Tommy gets "locate, evaluate, actuate", that fast. And those things overlap in time.

If his last instant evaluation while still having any grip on the ball is "nope, I should not be throwing there", yeah, he'll worm-burn one to be safe. 

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

No doubt the podcast is of high quality, but is it a true representation of the program?  I would say mostly it is, but Like I said before, how much are true feelings reserved because you’re talking to the brother of the coach?

How many realize "Shannon" on the podcast is Bubba's brother. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I like them (black pants on the road). Not really a fan of the white face masks yet. Still think better green jerseys are needed, and green tops/white bottoms should be the standard at home 

I'm good with the white mask, otherwise concur.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, those are things armchair "experts" like us get to micro-analyze on the DVR time and again. 

Tommy gets "locate, evaluate, actuate", that fast. And those things overlap in time.

If his last instant evaluation while still having any grip on the ball is "nope, I should not be throwing there", yeah, he'll worm-burn one to be safe. 

does that above throw get more attention if it's against NDAC in the fourth quarter with 90 seconds left and it's 4th and 8 at midfield down 2? damn right it does and if it bounces to nate D again i hope it's his last throw as a sioux.

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does that above throw get more attention if it's against NDAC in the fourth quarter with 90 seconds left and it's 4th and 8 at midfield down 2? damn right it does and if it bounces to nate D again i hope it's his last throw as a sioux.

Then Feeney bounces one and you overboard him ...
Then Romfo bounces one and you overboard him ...
Then Jerry bounces one ... no, wait, no bounce but should've ... pick six.

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I like them (black pants on the road). Not really a fan of the white face masks yet. Still think better green jerseys are needed, and green tops/white bottoms should be the standard at home 

if no black use white masks...black top or bottom use black facemasks?