SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

SDSU is not exactly "resources rich". 

Why can they do it and not UND. 

Please don't say "hockey". If hockey wasn't self-sustaining (250k tickets annually, keystone of media deals) that'd be an answer. 

It’s the football brain trust. That’s the simple answer I’m afraid. Last 10 years of data also supports this unfortunate truth (since 2016, 12-15 in games with crowds over 10k). Need change I’m afraid, but I worry our culture/environment/institution is scared of that for several reasons, none probably legitimate. 

51 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I get tired of this throw the coaches out everytime we loose dam football game when rest of the world knows that we have good football team. yes we have struggled in Division I football to get to elite level of teams but that was facing us when we moved to division I.  The resources haven't been here to make that jump happened and we were told that from the beginning. Also to get here we have had to sacrifice number of other sports from UND to stay in budget. Second we were next NDSU where football is king and at UND its second this has had big effect on recruiting and our location media attention to attract players. The move back to Missouri Valley has helped in recruiting and recent up grades to facilities for football is help. Second our pay structure is that we have hard time to retain coaches here look we have coaches at NDSU and SDSU who have left here went to them. I also wonder some here are so against past coaches that have led up to Bubba i wonder if there is more to the critiism from past history with UND and these coaches.  I would love to see some postive posting and things we could improve this years results.

A lot of good points there but the basic question still stands.  Who thought hiring a career .500 coach was the answer?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

SDSU is not exactly "resources rich". 

Why can they do it and not UND. 

Please don't say "hockey". If hockey wasn't self-sustaining (250k tickets annually, keystone of media deals) that'd be an answer. 

Maybe so...but Saturday was my first time in Brookings for a football game in 20 years.  That setup is closer to "big time" than any of the 4 Dakota schools!  From the game experience, to the fans selling it out, to the students, to the band, to the tailgating, to the facility...it felt totally different than the experience I see at UND games.

Kudos to SDSU for doing it right.

20 minutes ago, UND08 said:

Maybe so...but Saturday was my first time in Brookings for a football game in 20 years.  That setup is closer to "big time" than any of the 4 Dakota schools!  From the game experience, to the fans selling it out, to the students, to the band, to the tailgating, to the facility...it felt totally different than the experience I see at UND games.

Kudos to SDSU for doing it right.

Yes and No. NDSU and even UND have more impressive tailgating and concourses. I also think that the buildings (Alerus Center, FargoDome) are just overall bigger and better than the skeleton stadium in Brookings. But, on a beautiful fall day, with a sellout, SDSU does have an awful nice gameday atmosphere and experience.

with all that said, the point does remain: Brookings SD should not be kicking Grand Forks ND arse. UND has a ton of resources relatively speaking and should be right up there and yet, well, they aren’t. That tells me that the resources we do have are not being utilized correctly. Again, brain trust issue. 

• Upvote 2

Bubba aint going anywhere this year or next minus a total total meltdown.....

One thing he and danny can do is change the starting qb........

My suggestion is first play against Western is lineup wide the fastest WR on the team and straight up go pattern and the QB (trey or kaminski) just f'n launches it....if incomplete do it again on 2nd down......if incomplete........do it again on 3rd down........

after that see if the running game has a few more lanes/holes for our RB's 

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Bubba aint going anywhere this year or next minus a total total meltdown.....

One thing he and danny can do is change the starting qb........

My suggestion is first play against Western is lineup wide the fastest WR on the team and straight up go pattern and the QB (trey or kaminski) just f'n launches it....if incomplete do it again on 2nd down......if incomplete........do it again on 3rd down........

after that see if the running game has a few more lanes/holes for our RB's 

Something tells me 3 launches in a row with a first time starter might mean 3 and out … but gotta try something different. Honestly these conversations are pointless. all I know is true fan excitement is going to continue to wane until we get some new leadership for this program… might not be next year or even for another 5 years, but it is needed whenever it happens 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Something tells me 3 launches in a row with a first time starter might mean 3 and out … but gotta try something different. Honestly these conversations are pointless. all I know is true fan excitement is going to continue to wane until we get some new leadership for this program… might not be next year or even for another 5 years, but it is needed whenever it happens 

kinda like against sdac?  at least this would move the "box" back a few yards for RB's to actually have some running lanes.

the old bartels to hardin on first play of the game years back........grip it and rip it.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Same ol’ same ol’ pathological mindset.  Don’t agree 2008-2020 were just wasted pointless years. That’s justification for what is happening now; excuses.  

I knew you'd downvote, or respond, or both, and while I don't like it either, the only way out of the mess that was 2008-2020 was to have jumped to FCS in 2004.  Lots of blame to go around.

4 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I knew you'd downvote, or respond, or both, and while I don't like it either, the only way out of the mess that was 2008-2020 was to have jumped to FCS in 2004.  Lots of blame to go around.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. If we all knew what was going to happen 20 years ago, a lot of decisions would have been different. And I mean a lot.

here we are. Have to make the best of it. All we can control is showing up to the games and donating to the program.

it’s getting to the point where it’s gonna be hard to donate to the current leadership/decision-makers, but I will always be showing up to support the team.

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kinda like against sdac?  at least this would move the "box" back a few yards for RB's to actually have some running lanes.

the old bartels to hardin on first play of the game years back........grip it and rip it.

You’re referencing 2013 versus Valparaiso. You do realize how the rest of that season went, right?

• Upvote 1

Our offensive line has improved; it still needs to get better.
Our defensive line has improved; it still needs to get better. 

Forget everything else from Saturday: SDSU controlled, owned, scrimmage. 

Until someone can match the SDSU fronts they're going to control games. 

That is the single take-away from Saturday for the rest of this season and next. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re referencing 2013 versus Valparaiso. You do realize how the rest of that season went, right?

ohhh yes...just pointing out that at some point you gotta throw a deep ball (if you physically can tommy) to loosen up the defense.....that 6.2 yd box we play in.

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Our offensive line has improved; it still needs to get better.
Our defensive line has improved; it still needs to get better. 

Forget everything else from Saturday: SDSU controlled, owned, scrimmage. 

Until someone can match the SDSU fronts they're going to control games. 

That is the single take-away from Saturday for the rest of this season and next. 

We’ve been saying the same thing for the past decade, though. I know you certainly have been posting this for awhile. And I completely agree. We need to do better at the line of scrimmage, and we’re not getting it done, and we haven’t been for years, at least against the top teams.

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Showed more against SDSU that year fwiw

Yeah, regression sucks 

of course, in all reality, the program has not truly regressed since ‘13, there was considerable progress for a few years, but has any progress been made against the top teams? Since ‘16, I don’t think so.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes and No. NDSU and even UND have more impressive tailgating and concourses. I also think that the buildings (Alerus Center, FargoDome) are just overall bigger and better than the skeleton stadium in Brookings. But, on a beautiful fall day, with a sellout, SDSU does have an awful nice gameday atmosphere and experience.

with all that said, the point does remain: Brookings SD should not be kicking Grand Forks ND arse. UND has a ton of resources relatively speaking and should be right up there and yet, well, they aren’t. That tells me that the resources we do have are not being utilized correctly. Again, brain trust issue. 

Disagree on the tailgating...I was there on Saturday...it was pretty good.  Throw in the fact that it was on campus and not in a parking lot overlooking the interstate and it felt like a better environment.  Just my opinion though I guess...

Also...I significantly disagree on the building.  Other than Montana I'm not sure I've been to a nicer setup.  Dykhouse Stadium might not have all the bells and whistles, but I thought it was well laid out and great for watching football (sightlines and what not).  Also...the fact that they have their stadium/lockerroom/practice facility basically connected is a game changer that we won't have.  If they catch lightning in a bottle and decide to go the FBS route someday (not saying they will)...they could easily (physically speaking...it still costs money of course) have a 27k facility that would be G5 ready with a simple expansion of the visitor side.  They are the ONLY Dakota school that could make that happen.

And yes...I get the downside of outdoor football.  Going G5 would in theory help that situation though.  I might be old school...but I'd take their facilities over ours any day of the week.

Your last point I am in 100% agreement with though!  It's all in what we want to be.  Do we want a great football program?  Or do we just want to be top 25% of FCS and behind our closest peers?  I'd honestly would like to know an actual (not implied) answer to that question...I'll give us some credit on facilities...and acknowledge that the "want" comes with a steep price tag that somebody has to pay...but it can be done...if we want it bad enough imo...

3 hours ago, NDRA said:

Very good point.  Who the hell in Admin thought he was the guy to take over this program.  "The Monopoly is Over"!!

Exactly this - and this is after 6 years of Muss.  At this point Bubba's gonna Bubba.  We are recruiting better but the same old deer in the headlights look in big games.  He is not changing.   By contrast, the school to the south got rid of Bob Babich when he was 46-22 after a bad year and because of a poor playoff record and the inability to beat their biggest rival (sound familiar?). Not only did we hire a 22-21 coach, we extended him after a 5-6 season.  Absolutely no commitment to a winning program from the administration.  - And before I get jumped on, I am not saying they don't want to win - we all do from admin on down.  I am saying they are not willing to do what it takes for the next step - instead it's just "I hope this year things will be better".  Change is glacial here.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, regression sucks 

of course, in all reality, the program has not truly regressed since ‘13, there was considerable progress for a few years, but has any progress been made against the top teams? Since ‘16, I don’t think so.

As a whole, we’ve gotten much better and stronger. But we don’t have the top end skill guys that could keep us in games like we used to.