SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

10 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Preface - we can/will get better and continue to move up but sometimes comparison robs us of what we have. We quickly became a top tier team in the MVFC, yes it sucks that the two best teams in the country are in front of us, but we are moving in the right direction - not fast enough for some granted. We are #26  out of 130 teams in home attendance. I have gone on several football road trips and our tailgating compares just fine and is better than many. In all of these situations we can get better but it's not like we are bottom dwellers.  

Agree - not perfect, but not awful. Need to still strive for improvement.

I feel like football has received significant support since moving to D1 you have:

- CoA

- Phase I

- Phase II (I assume that this started this spring?)

- New Athletic Village

That is significant investments for the football program.  Again, SDSU and USD both have mortgage payments for the facilities they have in place.  Once the facilities are built out for UND and the all the other updates on campus.  UND will be on equal footing and in some cases they will have advantages.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disagree if you’re referencing NDSU.

NDSU is the gold standard of FCS football. To not compare would be ignorant, and certainly not ridiculous. 

NDSU is 76 miles from UND. Big picture-wise, geographically speaking, they are largely one and the same.  Both NDUS institutions. Ran by the same NDUS umbrella. Both easily mistaken for each other by folks outside of North Dakota and the immediate region. Now, of course there are differences in objectives, goals, philosophy, donor base, etc., as you state, but in the context of FCS football in North Dakota, NDSU is absolutely the best comparison to UND. And to state it is ridiculous to compare the two is absolute ludicrous. 

If you’re referencing the University of Minnesota, then I do agree with you, as University of Minnesota does not have direct in-state competition like UND-NDSU. 

Correct, I was refencing Minnesota. I agree, I would love nothing more than to have UND football in the same conversation as NDSU.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:43 PM, Sioux94 said:

Why change something that wasn't broken, I don't get it.  Baseball needed shorter games.......football no. 

I'm asking you seriously, do you actually follow baseball? I think it's fucking incredible how MLB is actively telling their fans that they don't like the game like it's been played for... a long fucking time.

I watch tons of games all year. Many games each night.

I didn't think I'd like the clock, but it keeps batters in the box and prevents them from strolling around spending time adjusting their cups. Pitchers can't keep staring in at the catcher's signals, then spinning their finger to start all over again.

There's more action now. 

The rule changes aren't for dinosaurs like me; they're for the kids whose attention spans are about 12 seconds long.

Maybe he's onto something here. More people on a daily basis have need for or are impacted by pharmacists than pilots. Training pilots is a niche activity. We should dump that whole "aviation" thing because more people know or know about about pharmacy and pharmacists than flying or pilots.

We should try to be unique and stand out ... by being just like our neighbors and everyone else. 

(Do I have to put that in purple font or does everyone see the snarky-cynicism dripping off that.)

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, shep said:

I watch tons of games all year. Many games each night.

I didn't think I'd like the clock, but it keeps batters in the box and prevents them from strolling around spending time adjusting their cups. Pitchers can't keep staring in at the catcher's signals, then spinning their finger to start all over again.

There's more action now. 

The rule changes aren't for dinosaurs like me; they're for the kids whose attention spans are about 12 seconds long.

The 12 second attention span must be the reason that long form conversation based podcasts have exploded over the last 5 plus years.

29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

More people on a daily basis have need for or are impacted by pharmacists than pilots. Training pilots is a niche activity.

To be fair, UND also trains the state’s lawyers (indirectly lawmakers) and doctors, so I’d say collectively people are more impacted by lawyers/lawmakers and doctors than pharmacists. I know you and I can both agree - although how we get to the conclusion is likely different - that UND is the flagship and more impactful for the state. Ironically, though, the current state leader (governor) is a piss yellow and sh*t green supporter, but let’s not bring politics into this, shall we? 

13 hours ago, FSSD said:

I feel like football has received significant support since moving to D1 you have:

- CoA

- Phase I

- Phase II (I assume that this started this spring?)

- New Athletic Village

That is significant investments for the football program.  Again, SDSU and USD both have mortgage payments for the facilities they have in place.  Once the facilities are built out for UND and the all the other updates on campus.  UND will be on equal footing and in some cases they will have advantages.

These are certainly positives. Would like to see coaching salaries improve, also, but takes time, I suppose, and they’re not going to “rob from Peter to pay Paul”. 

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ironically, though, the current state leader (governor) is a piss yellow and sh*t green supporter, but let’s not bring politics into this, shall we? 

"... let's not ..." ... as you do it.  < facepalm > 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

To be fair, UND also trains the state’s lawyers (indirectly lawmakers) and doctors, so I’d say collectively people are more impacted by lawyers/lawmakers and doctors than pharmacists. ...

So what you're saying is someone should ... shut down pharmacy; start law and med. I'm pretty sure I'd find better logic if I went to the four corners of the state, to the coffee shops in Grenora or Rhame or Rutland or Hoople. 

And I think you're vastly underestimating the number of folks on scripts. I'm the fortunate minority not on a daily prescription drug. :)  

40 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So what you're saying is someone should ... shut down pharmacy; start law and med. I'm pretty sure I'd find better logic if I went to the four corners of the state, to the coffee shops in Grenora or Rhame or Rutland or Hoople. 

And I think you're vastly underestimating the number of folks on scripts. I'm the fortunate minority not on a daily prescription drug. :)  

No, not what I’m saying.

We’re speaking competitively, so of course I’ll put the lawmakers/lawyers, physicians, and pilots up against the pharmacists.  I’m not asking to shut down hockey, just emphasize football. Similarly, not asking to shut down pharmacy. 

But, *if* the flawless four-corners-logic you speak of is in fact the case, then I guess the UND hockey-NDSU football backers are correct and UND should just drop football? That seems to be where you’re heading? Or go the Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin route and have a single public land-grant research university so we’re all simpatico? Competition is just so cruel, isn’t it? Who closes? UND? NDSU?

We know consolidation isn’t going to happen, so I prefer my train of thought. Bring football to the top, embrace the reality of ice hockey as inferior, solidify football v. football competition. 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You're missing the point: It's OK to be different with reason or purpose. 

One place has aviation; another has pharmacy. Each exists with a purpose, to fill a need or interest. 

Oh I get your point.

But if extrapolating this to sports, because that’s what we’re talking about (ya know? … siouxsports …), then UND is better off emphasizing ice hockey than football because redundancy is bad in athletic competition? Each university has a different reason or purpose in athletics? I disagree. UND is emphasizing the wrong sport. I disagree with the UND hockey-NDSU football singular supporter mindset, of which this state has plenty. 

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Oh I get your point.

But if extrapolating this to sports, because that’s what we’re talking about (ya know? … siouxsports …), then UND is better off emphasizing ice hockey than football because redundancy is bad in athletic competition? Each university has a different reason or purpose in athletics? I disagree. UND is emphasizing the wrong sport. I disagree with the UND hockey-NDSU football singular supporter mindset, of which this state has plenty. 

UND is being unique with reason and purpose.

The fan interest exists in Grand Forks because demographically GF is more "Canadian" or "NW Minnesotan" than any city in ND. Reason. So capture that interest. Purpose. Now if hockey wasn't averaging 11,400 per game over the course of 19 home games*, which pays its way, you may have a point. 

If you want a city that thinks like you, might I recommend Fargo or Lincoln. (Note I didn't say Brookings or Vermillion. They are still probably too BB minded for you. And not the Twin Cities because the Wild overshadow the Wolves much of the time, and when the Vikings are out and hockey is starting.) 

*Football drew 11067 (largest home crowd) against drivable SDSU. Shouldn't the football interested ND and SD fans been able to beat hockey's average

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

261,578 tickets sold at REA may disagree. 

Easily explainable by Facility-bias and absence of DI hockey elsewhere in the state. What would’ve happened with an   $100M Memorial Stadium renovation in 2001? More missed opportunities.

Ultimately, those REA tickets do not justify underfunding the most popular sport in the state and country (reminder: GF is not in Canada).

On 4/20/2023 at 10:50 AM, jdub27 said:

I agree with you in wishing the game could be played mid-afternoon.
I also understand that logistically, it cannot be. And it has nothing to do with anyone living in Las Vegas. Or maybe the football staff actually prefers the early kickoff and our opinions don't matter?
Maybe they will find a way to push the kickoff to 1 or 1:30 and move the hockey game back to 7pm given the magnitude of games that weekend. 

Officially I believe it was to make it a bit more family friendly as games were getting over fairly late.
Unofficial side benefit, probably boosts concession sales a fair amount

And the Student Body can get downtown at a reasonable time!

• Upvote 1