SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's assess recent performance

01grad

I just wanted to congratulate the team on a much needed win streak (5-1) since dropping 2 to Wisconsin. :)

Some positives to look back on are that we now are outshooting opponents, not taking as many dumb penalties, getting very strong goaltending and beating the teams we need to beat (exception of 2nd Alaska game).

I know it was a little earlier in the season that we topped Minnesota and Colorado, but it is impressive to watch their play now and realize that we took a game from each of them. This will help our confidence in playing CC the second time around and Minnesota if we meet them again later.

One area that I think we still lack in is offensive firepower. I fully agree with Hakstol's comment in the paper when he says, "I didn't think we came out with sheer desperation until the last 4-5 minutes of the game," Hakstol said, "and against an honest hockey team like Alaska, you've got to do more than that."

After watching CC and UM's offenses recently it seems that they are always playing with desperation and much more intensity than we do throughout the entire game. They have much more speed and seem to be more creative with their passing.

I really like how Hakstol has played both Phil and Parise because I think with 3 goalies alternating still our goalies wouldn't be getting enough game time. I am sure that Hakstol has told Brandt what his role is and we might see him in the nonconference games. Parise did a great job the other night and gave us a chance, but I think down the stretch Hakstol will probably use Phil in back to back games as it seems every other team is doing that we play. I would like to see that this weekend against Duluth and let Brandt and Parise play the next couple.

My prediction for this team is that we will finish in the middle of the pack this year behind Wisco., Minn. and CC. We should be able to stay ahead of DU and Duluth towards the end as long as we take care of business next week. As far as the end of the season anything can go. Hopefully Zajac, Spirko, Stafford and Murray can step up and be our offensive leaders. It would be great to see a 2 or 3 goal game from them or if another player would do so I am sure we wouldn't mind.

Our defense has really played much better not taking as many penalties or the refs are starting to let up, one or the other or a combination of the two. Our outshooting other teams is a credit to our defense and our offense for starting to turn it up a little. We just need to finish. I was surprised to read in the G.F. Herald from Virg that "The Sioux pumped a season-high 39 shots at Lawson" the other night. I thought by now we would have had a game in which we would have reached the 40 shot mark. At least this is a step in the right direction though now.

Just wanted to share my thoughts thus far and see what ya'll think. Remember to stay positive because our play is improving and you can't win them all (especially in the WCHA). We just need to be like Viking fans and start hoping the better teams start losing or splitting to help us out.

Let's sweep the vulnerable dogs next week and get em' while they are down. They better not wake up on us because we need these points going into

:D:sad:;):0:0:xmas::xmas::xmas::xmas:

We did go 5-1 and last night was probably a game we should have won.

Now UMD did both lose to SCCC and UAA so I think UND can and should sweep UMD blow dogs this weekend. and then sweep Canisus before X-mas break so I think UND is sitting ok. UND can not afford to lose many more game this season and should be able to get to the final five and the NCAA's. Anything can happen once that happens.

So what are we looking at UAA has beaten UND, UMD and UofM. I am still not that impressed with them. I also think their goalie held them in the game. Anyone notice how cockey that Kid is?

Edited by Goon

Something I'm wondering about is depth. We've had a LOT of injury problems this season. This is a problem we didn't deal with much all of last season.

Massen and Fabian are down now, there are questions as to whether or not Stafford is at 100 percent. I think we are rather shallow at forward.

With our offense being the issue, not potential, I think what we need is really more time. Unfortunately, most of us (myself included) have high expectations for our team. Also, there is a sense of urgency regarding our defense. A lot of our defense will be leaving at the end of the season and with freshmen defensive units come questions in that regard. I really don't know what is going to happen the second half of the season. We could go either way, up or down, but I think we're not doing too badly.

Our youth is doing fine. Radke has settled down quite a bit. Spirko and Zajac have been contributing from the beginning. Kaip has been solid. Phil has been unbelievable. In that regard, we're not that bad off.

Have faith.

Massen and Fabian are down now, there are questions as to whether or not Stafford is at 100 percent.  I think we are rather shallow at forward.

Have faith.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that Fabian was going to play next weekend. Thats the rumor I heard from the interview that was on during the 2 period intermission. I think Cannady, Kaip and Fabian would be a pretty good line. They would play serious grind it out action.

Let's sweep the vulnerable dogs next week and get em' while they are down.  They better not wake up on us because we need these points going into

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The sleeping 'Dogs are starting to awaken. You guys are rather vulnerable yourselves. :D It's going to be interesting next weekend.

I think both the Sioux and the 'Dogs are really starting to come out of the baffling slumps, Sioux more quickly than the 'Dogs. I think you're right that you're going to finish ahead of us but I'm hoping we are right behind you in 5th. Or even if we're ranked last we come up with a UAA-style upset to make it to the Final Five. Wait I don't want that because I want us to go to the NCAAs.

I believe it's safe for me to say that UND has picked up the quality of their play in the past weeks. I watched yesterday nights game and saw that we ran into a hot goaltender, its as simple as that. It was obvious UND was the better all around team and we just didnt get the bounces when we needed them. The only thing I noticed is that I still think they need to shoot more, it seemed like they made an extra pass every time. Even on Spirko's goal, Murray can't pass up an open shot in the slot, I believe we got lucky on that one. The only way to beat a hot goaltender is to put shots on him and bang away at rebounds. Hopefully the guys in green can keep playing at the level they're at right now leading into Duluth. It could be a fun weekend.

P.S. did anyone notice the maize and gold sweep Notre Dame? :D

Can't believe we're already at the half-way point of the regular season. Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic if for no other reason than systemically, the Sioux simply need to get to the 16, and roll the dice from there. DU proved that last year. Between the pipes, Phil has been terrific, the best we've seen since Karl. Parise has proven to be capable once again, but I'd like to see us settle in with Phil for the long haul. Overall, I think the freshman class has met expectations, with the exception of Radke. In his case, hopefully it's just a matter of learning to play defense at this level. It's been so long since we've had an offensive defenseman, that some of us are getting antsy, and maybe the expectations regarding Kyle were out of whack. On the positive side, number 5 in the PWR at this point ain't too shabby. We're well positioned for a run at the NCAA tourney, although the McNaughton has probably slipped out of reach.

The negative: The power play just continues to be difficult to watch. It's not a coincidence that we've had no punch on the man advantage since Roche's departure. Let's face it, the naysayers that have said the Sioux lack skill on the blueline were dead on. Hey, I was in denial too, but four years of the same problems can't be ignored. I'll lob this one out there, too: The '01 recruiting class just hasn't panned out. Out of the fourth year guys, McMahon's the only one that has steadily progressed each season, IMO.

With all that said, we still have a legitimate shot at Columbus. Staying out of the West Regional would probably be a good idea, however. 3rd Place WCHA, regional final would be my guess at this point, but who really knows.

. . . .  Staying out of the West Regional would probably be a good idea, however.  . . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A reasoned assessment over-all. However, I would love to see the Sioux in the West Regional. It is nearby, we would have a strong legion of fans, and assuming that the match-up would take place, a Sioux-Gophers game in the West would be the equivalent of any Frozen Four game, IMHO.

Recall the world class clash between the Sioux and the Gophers at the Final Five last year.

Nothing could be sweeter than taking out the Gophers in their own rink for a trip to Columbus. We'll probably need to go through them sooner or later. If so, why not take it to them in the West.

Of course, I am a bit biased seeing how we already have West Regional tickets.

Although I have been a little disappointed so far with this season, I am optimistic about this weekend. I think the Sioux are the better team. My only gripe is start Phil all the time. He is rock solid. And give Radke more playing time! The kid is a real talent. It seems to be wasting. We need his offensive punch! I think the Sioux sweep this weekend. Then come and take two more from Cansius and we will be 14-6 going into the holidays. Not bad.

GO SIOUX!

I've been very disappointed in our lack of intensity all year. After Saturday's game DH complimented Alaska for playing hard all weekend. Why in the world can't we get a consistant hard effort out of the Sioux. The only times this past weekend that we played with intensity was the 2nd period Friday night and the last 3-4 minutes of the 3rd period Saturday night. During those times we were all over Alaska. We have to play that way every night to be effective. The players know that, they talked about coming out strong in the first period Sat but it didn't happen. They were flat...again.

I'm also dissappointed in our defense. Alaska's first goal Saturday night was inexcusable. To allow Alaska's McMahon to skate away from the boards with the puck and move in front of the net for the shot was unbelievable, but the kind of thing that has been going on with our defense the last 3-4 years. Mental mistakes continue to plague our "veteran " blue line crew.

Tim Hennesey's new broadcast partner, Greg L. was right when he said that to loose to Alaska at home is just not acceptable!

On the plus side it was nice to get Brady Murray's energy back into the lineup. A nice 3 point weekend for him.

DG

A reasoned assessment over-all. However, I would love to see the Sioux in the West Regional. It is nearby, we would have a strong legion of fans,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless something has changed, we wouldn't have a huge contingent of Sioux fans. The last time UND was there along with the Gophers, very few Sioux fans were able to go.

The problem was that the tickets were sold as all day passes/packages. So the Gopher fans gobbled up most of the tickets and then never showed up to the afternoon Sioux game. At the same time, few people were out scalping, and most Sioux fans could only get what UND was allotted. The demand by Sioux fans was there, but no supply.

It is a crime every night that Radke or Smaby gets to dress rather than Bina. Bina had a huge night on Friday against AA and then he's sitting the next night. Radke is obviously not ready yet and I don't know what happened to Smaby between the end of last season and this season. It looks like he has taken a step back. In myu opinion, Smaby and Radke should be the ones rotating with each other for the last spot.

The problem was that the tickets were sold as all day passes/packages.  So the Gopher fans gobbled up most of the tickets and then never showed up to the afternoon Sioux game.  At the same time, few people were out scalping, and most Sioux fans could only get what UND was allotted.  The demand by Sioux fans was there, but no supply.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, all me and my buddies when to the Sioux game...so you may be a bit overracting to say none of them showed up...besides I think most Gopher fans were expecting a Sioux stomping of Ferris....not what happened. I wanted to see the Gophers beat up on the Sioux...

WPoS

Well, all me and my buddies when to the Sioux game...so you may be a bit overracting to say none of them showed up...besides I think most Gopher fans were expecting a Sioux stomping of Ferris....not what happened. I wanted to see the Gophers beat up on the Sioux...

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're right. There were some Gophers fans there, but you must not have been by me, because the Gopher fans around us were cheering for Ferris.

Alright kids.......I don't think we need to be taking cheap shots at Smaby or Radke. I do agree that Bina came out with a good game on Friday night against UAA....BUT, Smaby and Radke also have been having good games as well. We need Radke to get out there and get all the jitters out of him! And I also agree that Smaby has been having a few rough patches, BUT he'll come around soon. Trust me I'm in the stands screaming at him just as much, but I hear a lot of people around me saying some not nice things. I'm not going to rip on anyone else but I just have to say that Smaby will come around I promise!!!! So keep your comments in the stands to yourself before I turn around and spaz. Thanks! Another note.....It was good to see Murray back in the line up and I was very impressed with his first shift Friday night, and I'm also sad to see Massen out for a while, but he'll be back and better than ever!

Alright kids.......I don't think we need to be taking cheap shots at Smaby or Radke.  I do agree that Bina came out with a good game on Friday night against UAA....BUT, Smaby and Radke also have been having good games as well.  We need Radke to get out there and get all the jitters out of him!  And I also agree that Smaby has been having a few rough patches, BUT he'll come around soon.  Trust me I'm in the stands screaming at him just as much, but I hear a lot of people around me saying some not nice things.  I'm not going to rip on anyone else but I just have to say that Smaby will come around I promise!!!!  So keep your comments in the stands to yourself before I turn around and spaz.  Thanks!  Another note.....It was good to see Murray back in the line up and I was very impressed with his first shift Friday night, and I'm also sad to see Massen out for a while, but he'll be back and better than ever!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree totally. Smaby has made a few mistakes, but he's solid otherwise. Most of his penalties are his failure to adjust to the size of the player he's checking. Not his fault he is 6'5" tall. I don't know where BDB got his opinion, but he can keep it. Bina has been getting significant ice time and he's done very well, however, I also saw Bina get bushwhacked vs. UAA and come to realize that, though he's a great defenseman, sometimes tough decisions must be made. I trust Hak choosing Bina and Radke for the rotate-a-defenseman. Bina will more than likely get the call in the big games this season, like UMD, but Radke will continue to get ice time. If Smaby was benched for the first half of his freshman campaign, he wouldn't have had the second half as good as it was. Radke needs to adjust, especially as he is being expected to buy into the system of "Defense first" among defensemen. He's an offensive threat with his shot, but he's been getting caught a lot and needs the experience or he'll never develop.

Your opinion, BDB, is yours to keep, but I'll disagree with you. I like Smaby, I'll be honest with that. He's done a lot this season already, including contributing offensively. His play is going to have to get more experienced because next season we lose Jones and MAYBE (probably) Greene. We need a big man to anchor the defensive unit and it could be Smaby.

Radke needs to adjust, especially as he is being expected to buy into the system of "Defense first" among defensemen.  He's an offensive threat with his shot, but he's been getting caught a lot and needs the experience or he'll never develop.

I think Smaby has improved a lot this season.

I am not sure what the coaches saw in Radke because he really hasn't shown much for a recruit that was highly reguarded. I read it to mean Radke was going to be the next Travis Roach and I dont' see it yet.

I think the Sioux should have practice passing eggs. They seem to have a lot of trouble handling the puck when the pass is on the tape. They also need to learn to crash the net and get into position to take advantage of rebounds. (This is clearly a coaching concern). Last, where's the team speed? Sometimes it appears they're skating on sand. Sorry to sound overly critical, but this season is not off to what I'd consider to be successful with the level of talent they're supposed to have on this team. ;)

I thought Smaby was really good last year, and can be really good again. I just have not seen it this year. It seems like every game THIS YEAR he has been putting forth his best Aaron Schneekloth impersonation and getting passed like an orange pylon on rushes by opposing forwards.

Two years from now, Smaby will almost certainly be the better player (and I realize that many will argue that he already is) but as of right now, I think Bina gives them a better chance to win. And in case Sid Hartman is roaming around this board here is my disclaimer, I never played hockey past termites, never coached hockey, but I am in the Sega Genesis NHL 97 Hall of Fame.