SiouxSports.com Forum

a very early look at next year

UND92,96

UND should return a very good nucleus next season. Here's a brief position-by-position break-down:

quarterback:

Chris Bellmore was obviously erratic at times, but he did greatly improve as the season went on. He runs very well and throws a nice deep ball. He definitely has to improve his accuracy on the screens and some of the shorter passes, and make better decisions (how many times did he hit a defender in the numbers only to have a sure int dropped?) He should be pushed hard by Reid Manke and freshman Danny Freund. Depth should be a strength.

running back:

Adam Roland and David Wisthoff both had very good careers, and will have to be replaced. Brandon Strouth showed flashes of brilliance, and has excellent speed. Whether he can physically withstand the pounding of an every-down back remains to be seen. He could be pushed by Chris Beatty, Demetrius Charles, Weston Dressler, Mike Rhode, and possibly a transfer.

At fullback, Trent Christensen would appear to be the heir apparent as he's the only fullback besides Wisthoff to see any significant action this year.

offensive line:

Barry Smith and Andy Hendrickson will be lost, but a lot of experience will return. NCC most valuable o-lineman Chris Kuper will anchor the line again, and Andy Hoffelt, Mitch Braegelmann and Matt Buisker all return will starting experience. Andy Soll and Brett Bauer, among others, should be in the mix. My early guess would be for Braegelmann to move from guard to center, with Kuper and Soll at guard, and Hoffelt and Buisker at tackle.

receivers/tight end:

Go-to receiver Caleb Johnson will be greatly missed after an excellent career, and Jeff Weber also departs. Dan Grossman had a bit of a propensity for dropping passes, but showed signs of being capable of being the number-one option. There's a lot of young talent that must step-up here. Dressler, Groeschl, Loegering, Van Dyke, Presthus, Hegg, Caufield, Franklin, Trenbeath and possibly one or more transfers could all be in the mix. This may be the biggest question mark coming into spring ball.

At tight end, Kussler and Mielke both return, along with Troy Ott and Drew Thomas so there's a lot of depth there.

special teams:

Both Jeff Glas and Brent Halfmann return after all-conference seasons. Weston Dressler is a huge weapon as a returner, and possibly look for transfer Anthony Longe to be a factor here.

defensive line:

Troy Newhouse is the biggest loss. All-conference players Shane Duchscher and Jason Peterson will anchor, with Adam Wolff, Ross Brennan, Jared Enger and Alex Cadwell all returning with considerable experience.

linebacker:

Tony Hermes and Jake Nordick are the primary losses here. All-conference Digger Anderson leads a large group of returnees. Former all-conference Tyler Dahlen, Brook Maier, Zach Babington-Johnson and Steve Brennan all return at outside linebacker, and Anderson, Halstenson and Ullsperger return inside. Some younger players will need to step up here to maintain the tradition of playing 10-12 people at the four linebacker positions.

defensive backs:

Ryan Manke graduates after an outstanding senior year. But a lot returns. NCC most valuable db Danny Gagner leads a group of returnees including all-conference Josh Brandsted, Jason Hoffschneider, Jamaal Franklin, Donovan Alexander, Tom DeSautel and Michael Greenwood. If he doesn't play running back, Anthony Longe could also be a factor here.

The defense returns a lot, so it should be better than this year. They will need to play better against the better rushing teams, but it will probably help to have UNO and SCSU in the Alerus. Offensively, the keys will be what receivers will step up as go-to guys, who will complement Strouth at running back, and how the one or two new offensive linemen will fit in. Special teams should again be a big strength.

Write it down right now, UND will be the 2005 National Champions. They are returning an exceptional amount of people has documented by UND 92,96. They deserve to start the season in the Top 5 in the polls to start the year and should be there if not 1 for much of the season. Hopefully next year we'll be in the position Pitt State was in much of this season. In conclusion I would like to congratulate the Fighting Sioux football team on a great year and winning on the road in the playoffs. We've made great strides in the last decade we just need to keep going up.

No disrespect intended to the current stable of running backs, but oh how I'd like to see a back perform like Race (or Day or Logan) behind the Kuper Moving Company next season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but I really think Dressler could be the guy. His speed, shiftiness and high school rushing numbers (2100 yards and 40 td's as a sr.), not to mention his punt return success this year, can't be ignored. His size is nearly identical to Logan, so I'm not sure that would be as huge of a drawback as originally thought when he was recruited. As a true freshman, and with a reliable senior in Adam Roland, his playing much running back this year wasn't in the cards. But I really think he could be a much bigger offensive weapon next season if given a chance. He's far more of a running back than a receiver in my opinion. Many of us have been looking for a big-play back for several years now, and clearly based on athletic ability, Dressler fits that mold. I wouldn't want him to carry the ball 25 times a game, but I think he could handle 15 or so.

I agree, but I really think Dressler could be the guy. His speed, shiftiness and high school rushing numbers (2100 yards and 40 td's as a sr.), not to mention his punt return success this year, can't be ignored. His size is nearly identical to Logan, so I'm not sure that would be as huge of a drawback as originally thought when he was recruited. As a true freshman, and with a reliable senior in Adam Roland, his playing much running back this year wasn't in the cards. But I really think he could be a much bigger offensive weapon next season if given a chance. He's far more of a running back than a receiver in my opinion. Many of us have been looking for a big-play back for several years now, and clearly based on athletic ability, Dressler fits that mold. I wouldn't want him to carry the ball 25 times a game, but I think he could handle 15 or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100 percent and im pretty sure lennon knows this. Having been to quite a few of Dressler's HS games, much of dressler's numbers in HS were obtained in the first half. By the second half, he had a date with the pine watching the Demons obliterate another inferior team.

How big was Philip Moore in comparison to Weston Dressler?

They list Weston at 5'8 and 170.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My recollection is that coming out of high school, Phillip was about 6'0" and around 170 pounds, at most. I don't recall for certain but I don't think he ever got much above 180 during his five years at UND.

My recollection is that coming out of high school, Phillip was about 6'0" and around 170 pounds, at most. I don't recall for certain but I don't think he ever got much above 180 during his five years at UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was listed as 185, but I think that was pushing it.

receivers/tight end:

Go-to receiver Caleb Johnson will be greatly missed after an excellent career, and Jeff Weber also departs. Dan Grossman had a bit of a propensity for dropping passes, but showed signs of being capable of being the number-one option. There's a lot of young talent that must step-up here. Dressler, Groeschl, Loegering, Van Dyke, Presthus, Hegg, Caufield, Franklin, Trenbeath and possibly one or more transfers could all be in the mix. This may be the biggest question mark coming into spring ball.

To me, this is the key to success next season. Everything else on the team is in place, but without a couple of these guys developing into big playmakers, I think the offense will struggle some again next year. What UND really needs is for another Lueck to land on its doorstep. :silly:

To me, this is the key to success next season. Everything else on the team is in place, but without a couple of these guys developing into big playmakers, I think the offense will struggle some again next year. What UND really needs is for another Lueck to land on its doorstep. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you heard anything about any of the red-shirts that would suggest that they'll be able to contribute next season? I heard a lot of good things about Presthus last year, but he was either injured this year or just not ready to play since he never saw the field. I would echo the sentiment that it would be really nice to get a Lueck (or Jeff McElroy) type transfer.

Have you heard anything about any of the red-shirts that would suggest that they'll be able to contribute next season? I heard a lot of good things about Presthus last year, but he was either injured this year or just not ready to play since he never saw the field. I would echo the sentiment that it would be really nice to get a Lueck (or Jeff McElroy) type transfer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't know if any of the redshirt receivers made a big splash in practices this fall. The thing that concerns me is that UND had several young receivers (Prestus, Van Dyke, Loegering, etc) and if they were ready to make an impact, I would have thought they'd have seen some playing time this year. Usually if a guy is going to be a big time receiver, you will see them on the field as a freshman or sophomore like Graf and Juhasz were. I suppose some of these guys might be late bloomers like Stattelman, but I'm definitely somewhat concerned about the quality at receiver going into next year.

Regarding the LBs... what was the extent of Halstenon's injury towards the end of this season? Wasn't he also injured at the beginning of the year, and was it the same injury?

My point being his ability to stay in the rotation often enough to make an impact. He's a very good player when he's healthy, but does he have knee issues?

BTW, great post to start the thread UND92,96.

i think the offense is going to come down to the coaches playing the right players. i don't think lennon will get any transfers because he doesn't like them. he likes playing the players that have been in the system for a couple of years. A good example is lueck. there was no reason why lueck shouldn't have been the main receiver two years ago, just think about how impressive his stats would have been if he was on the field instead of stattelman or ahlers. This year we had weber who showed he could make plays but we decided not to use him. i think he only had one catch in playoffs and it was for like 50 yards. those grand valley db's were fast and he ran right by them. i would have liked to see what he could of done this year. i talked to one of gene murphey's friends a couple of weeks ago about weber and this kid was suppose to be an explosive offensive threat and that is exactly what we needed but the other receivers have been in the system longer so we will never know how explosive he could have been for us. maybe he was the big play guy we needed this year. i guess i am just getting at that it will have a lot to do with giving players a chance no matter how long they have been in the system.

A good example is lueck.  there was no reason why lueck shouldn't have been the main receiver two years ago, just think about how impressive his stats would have been if he was on the field instead of stattelman or ahlers. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Lueck only had one year of eligibility at UND.

Halstenson broke his ankle. Young guys will have to step up at ILB next year. Anderson and Ullsperger will start. Digger is Digger and I think Dan is poised to have an all-confernce type junior year. He always seems to make a big play, does'nt he? Beyond that there is Hal (coming off the injury) and Schmitz(jr), Meek(so) and Reiff(so) who have very little game experience.

There was a short feature in the Herald today recapping the season, and identifying some key newcomers for next year. Listed as newcomers to watch are offensive linemen Brett Bauer (not really a newcomer since he was a backup this year) and Brian Troen; receivers Rick Presthus, Alex Nicholas, Jake Caufield and transfer Martin Tatom; running back Mike Rohde; quarterback Danny Freund; linebackers Matt Bodoh and Brett Holinka; and defensive backs Rory Manke, Drake Otto and transfer Anthony Longe. I should clarify that in my original post in this thread, when I mentioned receivers and I said "Franklin," I actually meant Nicholas. To the extent this list is accurate, UND did very well recruiting in Wisconsin last year as Troen, Nicholas, Rohde, Freund, Bodoh and Otto are all from that state.

running back:

Adam Roland and David Wisthoff both had very good careers, and will have to be replaced. Brandon Strouth showed flashes of brilliance, and has excellent speed. Whether he can physically withstand the pounding of an every-down back remains to be seen. He could be pushed by Chris Beatty, Demetrius Charles, Weston Dressler, Mike Rhode, and possibly a transfer.

Does anybody know if the Sundby kid from Cavalier will figure into the picture?